Author Topic: How good is a Copper Magnetic Heater ?  (Read 2912 times)

Offline ChrissTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How good is a Copper Magnetic Heater ?
« on: December 04, 2020, 12:03:39 am »
Hi!
I stumbled in some writing on the internet where people made some house heating system out of an electric AC motor and some magnets on a disk and all that is in front of a cooper pipe etc...
It is so called " Copper Magnetic Heater".
Is this in real a good project to make or is that only a junk of crap at the end?

I mean, is that really usable and can this really decrease the bill for heating?

What you are think about?
I'm somehow sceptic...

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: How good is a Copper Magnetic Heater ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 12:15:01 am »
Unless you've got a source of pure  mechanical power (e.g a water wheel or windmill to drive it), its pure bullsh!t, with less justification than the pseudoscience behind magnetic descalers!

The laws of thermodynamics tell us that all the energy input ends up as heat.  However a resistance heater immersed in water will transfer far more energy to the water than heating the water externally by eddy currents in the pipe with direct losses to the ambient air from the pipe and from the motor.

You could get a better result with a well insulated resistance wire element wound round the pipe, with heat resistant thermal lagging over it to reduce losses to the air, but its still likely to have higher losses than an immersed heater.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 12:57:37 am by Ian.M »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 12:23:42 am »
I also saw some videos where the creator use huge 3 phase electric motor to spin the disk with the magnet, something like 3 - 6 kw motors.
That makes no sense for me, to use such of motor ...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 12:29:44 am »
You can certainly use a big motor to heat a room. The only way you're going to get more heat into the room than by using a simple resistance element though is by using the motor to drive a refrigeration compressor to pump outdoor heat into the room. That can get you about 3x the heat as resistance, for 1kW input you get 3kW of heat. 1kW comes from the electricity and the other 2kW comes from refrigerating the outdoors.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 12:50:05 am »
Ok.
So to say, this edy current , cooper magnetic "free energy" bla bla bla stuff is not wort to build and experiment with it.

Actually I'm not searching for any solution to heat my house, I have a normal heating system and it is working perfect for me.

I was just stumbled in that kind of articles on the net, and some of them wrote about that "invention" like an alien stuff...

I'm familiar with Lenz's law etc. but im far away from free energy, perpetumobile and that stuff you know...

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 05:03:11 am »
If you want “free house heating” that would be geothermal or biomass.  The latter is going to take a lot of shit and you can easily get that for free.  But from a physics/energy point it’s not free energy.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 01:51:35 pm »
Back in the day, apparently if you connect a large diode in series with a (very) large inductor and then connect it to the mains, the high DC bias will confuse the electric meter and slow it down. I don't think that will work on the kinds of meters used nowadays, certainly not smart meters.
If you want “free house heating” that would be geothermal or biomass.
Or mine some crypto, but that's not free energy either. What truly would be free energy heating would be to open the shades when it's sunny, but the days that need the most heating generally have the least sunlight available.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 06:39:50 pm »
Back in the day, apparently if you connect a large diode in series with a (very) large inductor and then connect it to the mains, the high DC bias will confuse the electric meter and slow it down. I don't think that will work on the kinds of meters used nowadays, certainly not smart meters.
If you want “free house heating” that would be geothermal or biomass.
Or mine some crypto, but that's not free energy either. What truly would be free energy heating would be to open the shades when it's sunny, but the days that need the most heating generally have the least sunlight available.

And then there were all of those people on YouTube saying magnets on the power meter would slow it downtown.  I think it principal it is turn, but in reality I think Earth’s magnetic field would have more of an impact then would some magnets you hang on the outside of the meter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf