Author Topic: Li-ion cell 18650 damage and future durability  (Read 1730 times)

Offline TexxTopic starter

Li-ion cell 18650 damage and future durability
« on: January 04, 2022, 12:14:27 pm »
I was soldering cooper bar to 18650 chemistry (Li[NiMnCo]O2 (H-NMC) / Graphite + SiO). Got a while dreaming about something  |O and kept soldering iron probably too long to positive pole of cell. It throw a small flame out probably through safety vent. I guess it was hydrogen gas? Got scared me good but I instinctively blown it off like a candle. Than it quickly stopped.
What are future durability of affected cell? Is it smaller capacity now? Could it catch fire more easily on next thermal shock? Battery pack shows normal voltage, have not yet started to charge it or heavy discharge yet. Should I throw it out (mean cell) as battery pack  is too expensive. Or vent did its job, and cell can still be used? Any real life comments?

THX

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
Re: Li-ion cell 18650 damage and future durability
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 12:16:53 pm »
It's not hydrogen. Possibly the flammable electrolyte itself leaked through the pressure vent. Or maybe just some material outside of the container itself burned, for example the seal material.

Pretty obviously, don't use it, get a new cell.

External heat damage is worst kind of abuse to these cells.

Disposing unsafe li-ion cells is always problematic. I would just fully discharge it inside a safe metal container and then forget about it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:18:50 pm by Siwastaja »

Offline BatGroupCraft

• Contributor
    • easy battery box
Re: Li-ion cell 18650 damage and future durability
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 08:14:17 pm »
Yes the electrolyte is like a plastic or an oil. I have spot welded 100ds of 18650's and one day i short circuited some copper for enough time so that the negative steel side was pierced, and a little bubbling flame of melting liquid that looked like wax was visible there, the electrolyte can bubble. To the recycle facility.
An easy lithium box to build 1KWh in 20 minutes: www.youtu.be/UbgJXZ8EScs?t=10

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf