Author Topic: No repair of Victron chargecontrollers  (Read 1378 times)

Offline eTobeyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
No repair of Victron chargecontrollers
« on: May 17, 2024, 06:12:55 am »
No repair for these victrons...

"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
Re: No repair of Victron chargecontrollers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 07:48:59 am »
yup, i have 3 x 100/50 in my parts bin because you cannot get to all the parts due to potting compound. also they use a mcu whi often goes and you cannot source firmware for it either.

darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 09:56:55 am »
Can you say more about the circumstances? Where was it build in, how much did it run?

A MPPT charge controller would seem like a nice open source project ;-). Somethine that would help the enviroment. Clean (almost) Energy, und less waste.

Too bad i went for a Ebike controller.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 09:19:25 am »
I keep reading potted for environmental reasons on these manufacturers websites but IMOP it's to protect the design and make them unrepairable!

I design my own high voltage pcb's for outdoor use and just use a clear high voltage varnish that burns away easily with a soldering iron and hardly glues the components to the pcb at all so very easy to repair and see IC markings etc so that would be perfectly feasible for commercial manufacturers to use too if they had the will.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 09:42:25 am »
Indee, in my DC controller, i have even used just foam, to keep some rather long caps from vibrating.

I would not mind, it beeing unrepairable, if it would be unbrakable.

But isnt only the case beeing broken there? Nowadays, you can easly manufacture those! Or just use a metal box, i does not have to look pretty.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 04:45:39 pm »
It has been repaired:

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 04:54:44 pm »
I keep reading potted for environmental reasons on these manufacturers websites but IMOP it's to protect the design and make them unrepairable!
The standard technique for environmental protection is a conformal coating. Potting is rarely needed, unless the device is designed for permanent immersion.

Offline Fflint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2024, 06:29:27 am »
One can use an easily removable potting compound or one that sets like a rock. See recent Deye hybrid inverter teardown by Dave. Somehow the parts were potted, but he dug the potting compound out with ease with a flat screwdriver.

Environmental reasons my arse.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf