Author Topic: Power to the People! (Freedom for Tooting)  (Read 606 times)

Offline PerranOakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Power to the People! (Freedom for Tooting)
« on: November 23, 2022, 04:33:43 pm »
With the looming possibility of power cuts in the UK, I am wanting to run my router and FTTP wall thingy from a car battery.

Is it simply a case of connecting them both to the battery and their internal regulators will take care of everything else?

Great idea, yes?
You can release yourself but the only way to go is down!
RJD

Offline rteodor

• Regular Contributor
Re: Power to the People! (Freedom for Tooting)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 05:37:59 pm »
12V, 9V and even 7.5V switches and routers I encountered so far and tried worked fine directly from VLRA battery with solar charger. That is up to 15V when charging.

But to have peace of mind I put some Pololu modules and a Meanwell DCDC converter RSD-60G-12 (60W Reliable Railway DC-DC Converter, 9-36Vdc input 12V output). Runs well this way for a few years already.

The following users thanked this post: PerranOak

Offline 2N2222A

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 11:52:31 pm »
Has anyone considered modifying a 12V regulated power adapter up to 13.3V, and then connecting a lead acid battery across that to provide back up power and changing at the same time? A diode and (resistor + PTC) in parallel would connect to the battery to prevent excessive charge current.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 01:07:27 am »
I was delighted when I discovered that it was only 13 miles between Tooting & Barking!
I'm sure that would work on a quiet night with an optimally aurally sensitive canine! ;D

Offline rteodor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 06:00:06 am »
Quote from: 2N2222A
Has anyone considered modifying a 12V regulated power adapter up to 13.3V, and then connecting a lead acid battery across that to provide back up power and changing at the same time?

There already are adjustable PSU's. I use Meanwell LRS-50-12 (two of them but not for charging). With a pot for tuning output voltage 10.2-13.8 V the PSU can be set to float charge forever and have the charger, battery and load(s) all in parallel. Still you _SHOULD_ take care somehow of the battery. The biggest enemy of any rechargeable battery is over and undercharging. I knew this and still ruined half a dozen VLRA's by draining them out because I was not there to disconnect them when they were empty.
If you charge from the power network there are battery protection circuits. Many solar chargers already have this protection built in.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf