Author Topic: Solar panels as a sun screen  (Read 1221 times)

Offline nctnicoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Solar panels as a sun screen
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:03:21 pm »
I'm wondering about how effective solar panels are as a sun screen. Has anyone with solar panels on the roof noticed a significant improvement in keeping the heat out of the home after installing solar panels?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
Re: Solar panels as a sun screen
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 06:19:50 pm »
Solar panels make great outdoor patio covers. The trend now is to have very close fitting panels to the roof for cosmetics with very little air space. Neither good for the house or solar production due to heating. It doesn't matter because most people in solar are morons.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 07:31:12 pm »
I'm wondering about how effective solar panels are as a sun screen. Has anyone with solar panels on the roof noticed a significant improvement in keeping the heat out of the home after installing solar panels?

I actually checked this after mine were installed because roof and attic heat is a big deal here.  The inside of the roof stays cooler a little longer when the sun starts, but by noon I couldn't tell any difference and the attic was as hot as ever.  So while I'm sure it helps, it didn't seem significant.  My panels are about 6" off the roof.  If there were 100% coverage and ventilation under the panels, I'm sure that would make a difference, but I only have about 15% of my roof covered in panels.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline john61ct

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:32:11 pm »
The heat output radiated out the back of the panels from the PV process is enormous.

Need an airgap so convection removes that radiated heat output, for PV efficiency as well as reducing heat gain into the roof space.

Dunno about Tesla-style "tiles" though.

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 01:30:57 pm »
Solar panels make great outdoor patio covers. The trend now is to have very close fitting panels to the roof for cosmetics with very little air space. Neither good for the house or solar production due to heating. It doesn't matter because most people in solar are morons.

Your comments made since except where did the last sentence come from? 

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:42:28 am »
My house was just as hot after installing panels and i have as much as i can have by law in coverage.

Offline nctnicoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 09:13:13 am »
Thanks everyone for replying and thinking along!  :-+

My house was just as hot after installing panels and i have as much as i can have by law in coverage.
That doesn't sound like a solution then. I can cover about 50% of my roof surface because of the various obstacles on the roof and the size of the (cheap second hand) panels I have found.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf