Author Topic: Attempting Repair Of Sony KDL 32L504 With Double Vision  (Read 10681 times)

Offline SgtRockTopic starter

• Supporter
Attempting Repair Of Sony KDL 32L504 With Double Vision
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:56:09 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Pictures below show my neighbor's Sony KDL 32l504 CCFL TV. I thought at first that the trouble was the tab bonds. I removed the bezel and the metal frame and pushed on both tab bonds, but this had no effect at all on the picture. I am wondering if possibly it could be a Tcon problem. When looking at the screen the upper ghost image has jitter but the bottom image is steady.

--I have downloaded the manual from Electrotanya, and have run the diagnostic self test, but it shows no errors. I have also checked all the voltages going from the PS to the Main Board and they appear to be correct and steady. My neighbor has two of these, both make in AUG 2009, and both have he identical problem. Should I try replacing the Tcon? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

"All business sagacity reduces itself in the last analysis to judicious use of sabotage."
Thorstein Bunde Veblen 1857 - 1929

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Attempting Repair Of Sony KDL 32L504 With Double Vision
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:09:35 am »
Looks like the vertical shift register is intermittently skipping a bunch of lines. Are any of the chips unusually hot?

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:43 am »
Dear Amyk:

--Thanks so much for the quick response. Would the vertical shit register be on the Tcon or the Main Board?

"I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have—POWER."
James Watt 1736 1819

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:58 am »
Disconnecting them alternately while powering off and on should reveal if it's a tab or bonding problem. You would expect the rest of the image to go crisp when it's isolated.

Almost all reports of Sonys with that issue seem to be bonding problems. That symptom is generally Tcon, Tcon power circuit related, trough to the bonding or panel it's self.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:27:26 pm »
Dear Stock:

--Thanks for your response. In this particular TV there are two ribbon cables coming out of the display itself and bonded to the long PCB at the top, the PCB in turn has a single receptacle which receives a single flat flex cable from the Tcon. So in this case it is not possible to temporarily disconnect either one of the ribbon cables which are permanently bonded at both ends. However, I have indeed previously seen the arrangement you mention. Please see at the bottom a picture of a very similar arrangement. I still have not decided whether to try replacing the Tcon or not. It is a neighbor's TV, and if I spend $30 for a Tcon, and it does not work, I might be stuck with it. Thanks Again!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
Eric Arthur Blair - George Orwell 1903 -1950

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:34:16 pm »
Unservicable.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:25:43 pm »
Dear Stock:

--That is what I was afraid of. I really wanted it to be the Tcon, but I can find no Tcon problems that look similar. So this one is indeed BER, beyond economical repair. I am buttoning it up, and returning it to my neighbor. Thanks all.

"Evabody gotta be some place"
Yacov Moshe Maza - Jackie Mason
1931  -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 11:04:05 pm »
not decided whether to try replacing the Tcon or not. It is a neighbor's TV, and if I spend $30 for a Tcon, and it does not work, I might be stuck with it

umm are you their slave? simply tell tehm the deal instead of having this weird moral conflict :) they can pay $30 for an attempt, you dont have to  take all the financial risk on yourself

anyway, is that the tcon ?
http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-lj94-02832h-top.jpg

measure all voltages on tps
http://www.ti.com/general/docs/datasheetdiagram.tsp?genericPartNumber=TPS65160&diagramId=SLVS566C

is the chip on the right side  AS15?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AS15-F-AS15F-QFP-48-Original-Integrated-Circuit-IC-/140886906653
usually when it goes bad colors look like vomit, but wont hurt to change it for a whole $2

it also might not be tcon, have you looked at the caps on the scaler board?

--Thanks so much for the quick response. Would the vertical shit register be on the Tcon or the Main Board?

main chip on the tcon

I removed the bezel and the metal frame and pushed on both tab bonds

if they were bad you would end up with vertical stripes
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 12:55:10 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Something new to report. The TV is no longer responding in any way to the remote, but the button board still functions. Any ideas? Anyone? I am desperate. I hate to give up, but the problems are growing rather than shrinking. At the moment I am suspecting that big honking BGA ARM that no doubt hides under the shield of the main board, has got the old unleaded tin whiskers.

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work."
Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens ) 1835 1910

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »

main chip on the tcon
No, that's in the row drivers bonded to the side of the panel, and since they're usually chained top-to-bottom the symptoms suggest that one of them could be defective; does the amount by which the image gets shifted up correspond directly to the width of one of the driver IC's tab bonds?

Of course I'm not ruling out the Tcon since it's what drives them, but the image being shifted by that exact amount would be more indicative of a problem nearer to the row driver - either an intermittent connection or the IC itself being defective.

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 03:11:39 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I gave up on this project. But then a video by Maxxarcade (see below for link), gave me an idea. Since I want a DVI TV output, I am going to try a project similar to Max's, using a Universal DVI TV board (includes remote and sensor, for only $13) replacement (see second link below). I will not know if I can accomplish this TV board transplant, until I get the board and the specs, and take the back off of the Sony Bravia KDL 32L504, identify the display, get the pin outs, and buy a cable if necessary.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200988277349?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

--If I have any luck I will fix the TV, or at least confirm that the screen is good or not.

P.S. I highly recommend Maxxarcade's videos. The general watchability,  intelligibility, real useful information content, and professional ability, make Max one the few electronic video bloggers, that I consider in the same class as Dave. If you have watched as many electronics videos as I have, you would realize that is high praise indeed.

--If the monitors do not mind, I thought I would start a new subject and thread, when I attempt the TV board replacement.

"If it were done when 'tis done, then t'were well. It were done quickly."
William Shakespeare 1564 1616

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:14:00 am by SgtRock »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf