Author Topic: Battery change in converted 732A to 12V gone wrong  (Read 334 times)

Offline alligatorbluesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Battery change in converted 732A to 12V gone wrong
« on: February 09, 2024, 07:00:11 am »
In 2016 I purchased a 732A, which needed batteries, so I thought I'd convert it to (2) 12VDC 5Ah batteries vs the original (4) 6VDC 4.5Ah's. It was time for a battery change, so I pulled the batteries out the bottom of the holder, put the new ones in, and I forgot how to reattach the spade connectors. I know I used (2) black connectors for one, and the other one was was turned with the terminals opposite, and I used (2) red leads for that one. The small PCB on top has 4 pairs of wires, one red, one black, All the black are one side, and all the reds on the other. Each pair connects to the same battery, so the serialization is in the PCB.

I decided to move toward Fluke's intention of having each pair of leads connected to one battery. So I flipped a black lead over to the red side, and a red lead to the black side, since the terminals on the 12V 5Ah's are on the same side, thereby connecting the same battery to a pair of red and black leads, like it originally was done with the 6V batteries, and let the PCB do the serializing. But now I have 2 wire pairs just sitting open, connected to nothing. And I'm not getting voltage at the points on the PCB that connect to the external connector.

Battery switch is on, and tested for continuity. Batteries test out at 13.8VDC ea. So, I've got (1) connection between the batteries, and the (2) terminals back into the PCB. But the board is expecting something connected to the (2) pairs of dangling wires.

So, I think I should short the leads to the missing batteries (2 vs 4), and so that the polarity on the last connection to the PCB is opposite the first one. (2) of the dangling leads are continuous , but the other two are not. This leads me to believe the (2) that are open are the final terminals to the PCB, which must connect to the other pair that are continuous, or shorted. Then I think the expected DCV signals will be present, and the circuit will close.

I just can't believe how the whole concept escaped me. So, that's why I'd like an extra brain or two for this one. Thank you for any commentary.

Offline alligatorbluesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Battery change in converted 732A to 12V gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 08:02:24 pm »
No worries. I figured it out. I guess my mind slowed a bit the last 8 years.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf