Author Topic: Broken Capacitor  (Read 3094 times)

Offline SuperShermanTankerTopic starter

• Contributor
Broken Capacitor
« on: May 12, 2016, 01:00:37 pm »
So yesterday I was installing a new GPU into my computer and the old one got stuck as I was taking the old one out and riped out a capacitor on my motherboard and I was wondering what type of capacitor and specification of capacitor do I need to replace the one on my computer's motherboard.
PS: I'm a total noob to soldering and replacing board components this I am familiar with computers but not so much with the actual PCBs and components on the PCBs
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:39:32 pm by SuperShermanTanker »

• Contributor
Re: Broken Capacitor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 02:42:51 pm »
Thanks and do you have any advice on soldering because I have never soldered anything before

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »
Thanks and do you have any advice on soldering because I have never soldered anything before

Hmm.... this is a hard component to start learning to solder with, because the pads are literally underneath the part, and the motherboard is a multilayer board that will suck heat away quickly as you try to melt the solder. Also, I'm worried that the capacitor may have taken the PC board pads with it when it came off.

Can you post a photo of the place on the motherboard where the cap was?
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 03:22:13 pm »
The capacitor ripped off its pins so the pins the capacitor was on are stll there the old capacitor that fell off just has 2 holes in it where the pins were and the pins are sill on the board where the capacitor was

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:25:25 pm »
Well, that's good news, sort of. Much better than having the pads ripped off for sure. Still would like to see a photo if you can arrange it.

Do you have a soldering iron, and what kind is it? Do you have the right kind of solder? Do you have a replacement capacitor or a source for one (an old MB maybe?)

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 03:34:08 pm »
If there is the space it might be easier to use a radial capacitor with leads on it to solder to the pads.

The motherboard would have originally been reflow soldered in an oven and you are unlikely to be able to get to the pads using a soldering iron and a surface mount capacitor. Among other issues the board will be crowded so getting in there will not be easy.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from learning to solder but if you haven't soldered before this is not the bast place to start as you may cause more harm than good.

You know chances are that the capacitor is one of many power smoothing capacitors and that the computer will work absolutely fine without it, have you tried it?
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 03:46:07 pm »
I added a pic of the spot where the capacitor fell off to this reply

And I don't have any tools or anything for soldering yet because this is literally my first time having to solder anything this and I think I found a replacement capacitor online do you think this is good: http://www.amazon.com/100uF-conductive-polymer-aluminum-capacitor/dp/B00Z7X8J4Y?ie

also if you take a look at the picture you can see the pins still sticking out of the board where the capacitor was
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:50:14 pm by SuperShermanTanker »

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 05:00:41 pm »
You can solder the new capacitor on the leads of that old capacitor. Do try to keep the leads as small as possible.

Ideally though, you'd want to remove those leads and put the new capacitor through the existing holes. As a suggestion, get the hairdryer and warm the motherboard from below. Cut the non-lead part of what's left and from the top of the board, get the soldering iron and a blob of solder on the tip and heat the leads... with the board warmed up , it will take a few seconds for the extra heat from your iron to go through and warm the solder and now you can gently push down on those leads and they'll fall out leaving the holes free.

You can get replacement from Digikey, here's a list of compatible stuff (just pick the ones with same diameter or distance between leads to make it simpler to install) : http://www.digikey.com/short/3pq1nn
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:04:52 pm by mariush »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 05:17:21 pm »
Ah, good that it's not a surface-mount capacitor. I'd suggest soldering the new cap directly to the remaining leads rather than trying to remove the leads first.

I don't know about that Amazon "pack of ten". I'd rather order from DigiKey. Scroll right to see the physical dimensions at the link above.

Check your clearances with the GPU card. You can probably lay the new cap down sideways like this to make it easier to solder to the old stub-leads:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:27:23 pm by alsetalokin4017 »

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 10:10:39 pm »
Speaking from experience, you're probably not going to have a good time soldering the replacement capacitor if you've never soldered before and own no tools. If you value your motherboard, I suggest you pay someone who is experienced in basic electronics to do the soldering for you.

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 03:28:22 pm »
you'll have to use well grounded very hot iron, heat up the pad from underneath the board while pulling the leg lightly in the beginning from the other side and increase pulling force as the solder melts

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf