Author Topic: Broken Yamaha RX-A700  (Read 6978 times)

Offline CoopedUpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Broken Yamaha RX-A700
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 03:04:12 pm »
I would really like to figure this one out so if anyone else has input it would be appreciated

Online temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2019, 08:55:31 pm »
I remember repairing a very similar amplifier four or five years ago.

The problem with this amplifiers is the stand-by power supply. Next to the power inlet, you will see a printed circuit board with a CMOS40xx something IC, a relays, some passives,... The circuit in question is fed by a capacitive power supply. The cap has gone bad and the start-up circuit fails to switch on properly because the power supply voltage drops almost to zero.

Can you post a top view of the board located next to the power inlet? Then I can tell you which capacitor you have to replace.

When ordering a capacitor: be sure to replace the capacitor with an X type capacitor. Otherwise a surge on the mains might destroy the complete circuit.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2019, 11:41:31 pm »

The problem with this amplifiers is the stand-by power supply. Next to the power inlet, you will see a printed circuit board with a CMOS40xx something IC, a relays, some passives,... The circuit in question is fed by a capacitive power supply. The cap has gone bad and the start-up circuit fails to switch on properly because the power supply voltage drops almost to zero.

Can you post a top view of the board located next to the power inlet? Then I can tell you which capacitor you have to replace.

When ordering a capacitor: be sure to replace the capacitor with an X type capacitor. Otherwise a surge on the mains might destroy the complete circuit.

This only applies to the 220/240 volt models.

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2019, 11:43:40 pm »

And by the way, this particular capacitor is in series with the line, not across it. X rating would be fine, but not required. The original part certainly was not so rated.

Online temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2019, 08:28:25 pm »
X rated capacitors will last longer because the cap still has to withstand surges although with a resistor in series. That's the reason why the original capacitors loose their capacitance.

https://www.vishay.com/doc?28153

Page 2.

An X rated capacitor is a better approach when the full circuit is unknown.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2019, 05:16:13 pm »
This is the board I think you are referring to. The thing will power on in it's protection circut is bypassed and it gives me an error code.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2019, 05:53:28 pm »
I now have a dc prt 255 h. it used to be ps2 prt 255 so I still dont know what to do

Online temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2019, 10:43:52 pm »
Interesting, this amplifier doesn't have the cap dropper but a fly-back power supply based on a power integrations TOP switch.

You might want to take a look at the schematic:
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_rx-v667_htr-6063_rx-a700.pdf/download.html#dl

You will find a description of what The PS2_PRT means on Page 50. Some more on page 74.

I think you should be able to repair the amp with this information. (search the PDF for PS2)

Regards

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2019, 10:45:27 pm »
I have the manual and all that I have scratched my way through just about everything

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf