Author Topic: Fluke 87 Display Repair  (Read 8746 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mikey0725Topic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: us
Fluke 87 Display Repair
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »
I have a 20+ year old Fluke 87 with the very common problem of faded/missing segments in the display.  I've had it apart several times, cleaned up the PCB contacts and the elastomer connector strips and treated them with Stabilant-22.  Each time upon re-assembly it looks as if things are now perfect again, but within a very short time it's back to where it was, or worse.

I'm guessing that the elastomer strips have simply taken a "set" over the course of two decades and need to be replaced.  Does anyone know if these are available from Fluke or an aftermarket source?  Thanks for your help!
 

Offline retiredcaps

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3575
  • Country: ca
Re: Fluke 87 Display Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 10:07:03 pm »
I have only "fixed" one using IPA. 

If you want/need a new one, they are sold on ebay.  Search for "fluke 87 fading"
 

Offline Mikey0725Topic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: us
Re: Fluke 87 Display Repair
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:49:25 pm »
Just hit eBay, found two sellers with the kits and ordered one, should have it by Friday so the trusty old 87 should be back in action by the weekend.  Thanks for the tip!
 

Offline Spawn

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: nl
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Re: Fluke 87 Display Repair
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:14:42 pm »
Sorry to bring up 20 days old topic, but how did it work for you?

I got a 87 suffering with same problem.
 

Offline retiredcaps

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3575
  • Country: ca
Re: Fluke 87 Display Repair
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 11:10:29 pm »
I got a 87 suffering with same problem.
I assume you have tried cleaning it with IPA, but the problem reoccurs within a few weeks?
 

Offline Spawn

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: nl
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Re: Fluke 87 Display Repair
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:17:25 am »
Not the 87 but one of my 85's and indeed it is coming back on that one, got the 87 recently.

EDIT: Well I thought I give Kontakt 60 a go on 87, it is for bigger contacts like big relays and such but it cleans and make the contact work better if you leave a thin lay on it. It seems to work, let’s see how long.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:49:55 am by Spawn »
 

Offline retiredcaps

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3575
  • Country: ca
Re: Fluke 87 Display Repair
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:04:29 am »
I haven't tried this myself, but someone mentioned a hot water tip for a Beckman multimeter.  I don't know if it applies to a Fluke zebra strip or not?

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25737
 

Offline Spawn

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 529
  • Country: nl
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
Re: Fluke 87 Display Repair
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:11:09 am »
Nice tip thanks, I will wait to see what Kontakt 60 does, if it comes back I will try that one.
It was only 3 days ago so I have to wait couple weeks more but till now it's looking good.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->