Author Topic: How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A  (Read 1077 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline vasapolTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: th
How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A
« on: July 03, 2025, 02:44:22 am »
I just bought a broken 34461A. When I power it on, it reaches the Windows CE splash screen (see attached image) and then freezes. I’ve connected it to my network—my router reports a 100 Mbps link, the Ethernet LED is blinking—but the meter never obtains an IP address. On the serial console I see:
U-Boot 2010.03 (Oct 09 2012 - 12:48:30) Agilent P510
CPU:   SPEAr320
DRAM:  128 MiB
Unknown id: 0xffffff. Using ST_M23P40
Flash: 64 KiB
NAND:  INTERNAL ECC 128 MiB
In:    serial 
Out:   serial 
Err:   serial
SerNum: MY99999999
Chip:  AA Board Rev: 4
init  RTC: 2001-01-02 20:25:48.30
Net:   Phy could not be configured 
No ethernet found.
splash RTC: 2001-01-02 20:25:48.46
Press spa...

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x320000, size 0x10000 
 65536 bytes read: OK
 ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00600000 …


XXXXXXOXrom_offset=0x0.
XXImageStart = 0x80361000, ImageLength = 0x16595AC, LaunchAddr = 0x80362000

Completed file(s):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • : Address=0x80361000  Length=0x16595AC  Name="" Target=RAM

Loading image 1 succeeded.
ROMHDR at Address 80361044h
Preparing launch...
No RTC on 320
Launching windows CE image by jumping...

ERROR: C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\COMMON\SRC\SOC\STM\SPEARHEAD600\DRIVERS\NandFlash\.\sh600_NandFlash.c line 57: ConfigTimming - Unable to open device registry entry
ERROR: C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\COMMON\SRC\SOC\STM\COMMON\DRIVERS\NandFlash\.\stm_NandFlash.c line 1043: LLD_GetInfo - Unable to open device registry entry
++SER_Init: context Drivers\Active\10
SER_Init, dwIndex:2
GPIO_Select0 Register 0xB3...
OHCI\system.c, GCFG_USBH1_SW_RST
OHCI\system.c, GCFG_USBH2_SW_RST
ERROR: C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\COMMON\SRC\SOC\STM\SPEARHEAD600\DRIVERS\NandFlash\.\sh600_NandFlash.c line 57: ConfigTimming - Unable to open device registry entry
ERROR: C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\COMMON\SRC\SOC\STM\COMMON\DRIVERS\NandFlash\.\stm_NandFlash.c line 1043: LLD_GetInfo - Unable to open device registry entry
++SER_Init: context Drivers\Active\10
SER_Init, dwIndex:2
GPIO_Select0 Register 0xB3...

also for log I can only read the log I cant input anything because it use logic analyzer.what tools do you recommend for interacting with the 34461A’s console?

and I not that good with English if there any miss understanding I feel very sorry for that
« Last Edit: July 03, 2025, 02:49:32 am by vasapol »
 

Offline voltsandjolts

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3778
  • Country: gb
Re: How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2025, 07:42:59 am »
Code: [Select]
Net:   Phy could not be configured 

That seems wrong, compared to this anyway. Someone else had a failed LAN chip, so that is a possibility.

As for the WinCE corruption, maybe the NAND is near EOL, but perhaps a firmware update would help. There are two bootable WinCE images, the second being a recovery boot to allow firmware update via USB, but I haven't actually done that before - someone else may have more guidance on that.

Edit:
I see those "ERROR: C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM..." in other folks boot logs, so maybe they are normal.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2025, 08:10:42 am by voltsandjolts »
 

Offline vasapolTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: th
Re: How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2025, 10:03:47 am »
I have ordered the new Ethernet chip but currently my 34461A still froze after insert the recovery flash drive it seem device try to boot using internal NAND which is corrupted. also which tools that were use to input to the serial of the unit?

Also, does it mean that if PHY is back in running I can reflash the device over network?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2025, 10:24:31 am by vasapol »
 

Offline voltsandjolts

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3778
  • Country: gb
Re: How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2025, 10:59:11 am »
With a functional network connection, you should be able to use the P-Boot prompt to download WinCE firmware to DRAM and run it from there. This would at least check the DMM is functional, and maybe allow reflashing over usb (not sure, never tried it).

Did you try running the recovery image from the P-Boot prompt (option [2] load image 2)?
 

Offline vasapolTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: th
Re: How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2025, 01:12:22 pm »
Currently I'm using to read the Serial from the logic analyzer with Inverted signal and its work like a charm but  I was not able to output any command I have tried to use CH340 I got garbage output.Also esp32 as a serial bridge still no luck any recommendations about the serial to usb converter?
 

Offline voltsandjolts

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3778
  • Country: gb
Re: How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2025, 03:03:13 pm »
The debug serial port on the 34461A front panel uses RS232 levels, not logic levels!
Use a USB-RS232 converter.
https://ftdichip.com/products/us232r-10-bulk/
 

Offline vasapolTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: th
Re: How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2025, 07:07:57 pm »
After trying to boot from the second image the device go to black screen instead. Also after trying to insert the flash drive and boot from it using command usb start the device is not power on the flash-drive at all (no power LED)
 

Offline voltsandjolts

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3778
  • Country: gb
Re: How to recover by missing file on Keysight 34461A
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2025, 07:39:37 pm »
Second image is no good - that's a pity.

AFAIK to update firmware from a usb stick, one of the WinCE images needs to be running. Using P-Boot for usb update won't work.

Maybe your best option now is in P-Boot...
Quote
d) Download from platform builder now
...should get it booted and then do a firmware update via usb stick.

Note that TheSteve recommends using celoader rather than platform builder.


Aggghh, BUT you have the phy error   :(
Quote
Net:   Phy could not be configured 

Maybe try replacing the LAN controller chip LAN8710A  :-//
« Last Edit: July 03, 2025, 07:49:46 pm by voltsandjolts »
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->