Author Topic: Kenwood DP-1000 no laser movement, the cog is clicking  (Read 439 times)

Offline pjasio253Topic starter

Kenwood DP-1000 no laser movement, the cog is clicking
« on: March 22, 2024, 07:54:37 pm »
Hello,
After inserting the disc, there is no full TOC reading, but the laser is set to track no. 1 and plays it for up to approx. 20 seconds. An attempt to jump to subsequent tracks causes the laser to return to track no. 1 anyway. During such attempts to "pull" the reading, a quiet knocking noise under the mechanism can still be heard. I managed to observe it and it looks like the circular gear from the laser feed motor encounters "some" resistance and jumps off the teeth of the plastic guide. If I move the gear wheel away for a moment, the laser itself moves along the metal arms of the mechanism without any resistance. I am sending a link to the video, although it is not my own, but it shows the view of the gear wheel and the guide on which this effect occurs.

I would be grateful for any tips.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: Kenwood DP-1000 no laser movement, the cog is clicking
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 02:14:33 pm »
So a mechanical issue of some sort.
Maybe it's just worn out.

Are parts moving also around their supports, like in the video?

If there is a block you should feel it when moving parts manually.
But it can also be present only when angles are a bit off, like in video.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 04:05:59 pm »
From the video it is clear that the whole mechanism is bending when the thing starts.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 01:49:24 am »
Definitely a mechanical problem. The sled should move by gravity if the motor is removed. Might need some lube at the right places.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 02:41:48 am »
Carefully inspect all of the gears for damage. I've seen a few Kenwood audio products in recent years where the plastic gears are crumbling.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 03:30:47 am »
Last time I had the click click click with a CD transport, it was the slide seizing up, it needed lube. Or maybe the worm shaft I forgot.
You can hold the drive gear away and see how it slides, if it binds.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf