Author Topic: Needed: Panasonic NN-CS598 Microwave service manual  (Read 2864 times)

Offline tookiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Needed: Panasonic NN-CS598 Microwave service manual
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:43:13 am »
I know this isn't an appliance repair forum, but folks here are a fountain of wonder. :)

Anyone have this service manual? I have found the one for the slightly older version, the NN-CS596, but I don't know what changed.

In my unit (it's a microwave with quartz grill, convection oven, and steam assist), the oven temp is totally off, coming in at fully 50C below the set temp. The 596 service manual doesn't indicate any kind of service/calibration mode, so my guess is that the thermistor is bad. But I don't wanna replace it until I've looked at the correct service manual.

Thanks!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Needed: Panasonic NN-CS598 Microwave service manual
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 01:59:38 pm »
Thermistor has cracked and gotten moist. Replace it, pretty common on microwaves for them to crack. Probably best to buy from Matsushita agents though, and if they do not want to then look for one in Germany from one of the white goods spares suppliers.

I know how you feel, got a lovely Sharp convection microwave in the garage, needs a new keypad, because it is worn out. But dealing with the local Sharp agents is not nice, so when i get around to it ( i really do not need another microwave, the cheapie works fine for me with 2 knobs for use, no fancy electronics and beeping that uses more standby power than the oven ever will) i will order from Ebay and put it in, or rip the panel out and go manual control.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:44:48 pm »
Thermistor has cracked and gotten moist. Replace it, pretty common on microwaves for them to crack. Probably best to buy from Matsushita agents though, and if they do not want to then look for one in Germany from one of the white goods spares suppliers.
Given that in Switzerland, it's technically illegal for an uncertified person to work on microwaves, I assume Swiss dealers won't sell to me. Hopefully Germany will!

The service manual for the older version (CS596) has reference resistance values for the thermistor at 25C and 100C, so probably it shouldn't be hart to test and find a replacement. I hope.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:30:09 pm »
Given that in Switzerland, it's technically illegal for an uncertified person to work on microwaves, I assume Swiss dealers won't sell to me. Hopefully Germany will!

Egads!  Illegal to fix a simple home appliance?!!  :palm:

What kind of certification do they require?!!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:43:25 pm »

Egads!  Illegal to fix a simple home appliance?!!  :palm:

What kind of certification do they require?!!
The issue is the radiation law, which apparently requires one to be certified in radiation-generating equipment. Other than that there's no restriction on appliance repair that I'm aware of.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 09:40:12 am »
The issue is the radiation law, which apparently requires one to be certified in radiation-generating equipment. Other than that there's no restriction on appliance repair that I'm aware of.

The act you referenced deals with ionising radiation (radioactive nuclear sources) not electromagnetic radiation.

It has nothing to do with microwave ovens.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:47 am »
D'oh! I linked to the wrong law. (The law about EM isn't available in English, though, and I can't find reference to microwaves specifically in it at all.)

I swear I'm not hallucinating, I've seen repeatedly in the Swiss consumer rights magazine/TV show that working on microwave ovens is verboten, but for the life of me I'm having no luck finding anything online about it. I just tried calling the responsible government office, but I've gotta call back later, the guy is not in yet.

Offline PREDATOR

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 02:18:59 pm »
You can buy thermistors from Farnell: http://ch.farnell.com/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »
So I called the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health, and the guy said that the TV/magazine are wrong, and that there is no special certification to work on microwave ovens. The appliance must merely remain compliant with the EM radiation (so no defeating the door switch and making a microwave beam for youtube) and electrical standards.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf