Author Topic: neon in regular bulb holder hack  (Read 514 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
neon in regular bulb holder hack
« on: August 21, 2023, 11:12:09 pm »
If you get some nice miniature panel inicator lights that have say 20V tiny bulbs in them, you can replace them with a neon using this neat trick.

1) remove bulb
2) smash glass and clean out inside
3) cut into the section of the taper area of the bulb top so it is compliant (6 incisions around the flare from the top glassless end), like a collet
4) melt the solder on the end and stuff in a neon with 1 lead bent up while solder is molten. Gently force it so it goes in there and pushes apart the cut you made int he flare bit of the light bulb.
5) fold the lead over and solder it down
6) check to see if it fits in the indicator.

I had a neon that was just a bit too tall to splice into a regular bayonet bulb body and close the lid. But if you cut into the top of the flare of the bulb with say 3mm deep incisions, it expands enough to accomodate the neon bulb.

YOu might find old incandescent light bulb indicator holders are well built, threaded panel mount, have grounding safety, good terminals.. compared to neon indicator that are some snap fit bull shit.

If you break OLD HP neons (common) that have ridiculous snap fit crap, you can use this hack (but don't forget the resistor).

I guess you can do a LED too, easily.

I was getting SERIOUSLY pissed off by this repair, I bought a bunch of incorrect sized shit, and some how light bulb indicators.. but now I can stuff a NE-2 or whatever into the broken bulb and it fits and its real small too. 3/8 hole and its only 7/8 inch long from top of light diffuser to end of solder terminals.

There is a fair bit of space between the lgiht bulb body and the ground, anyway this should be neutral. No harm in putting some epoxy around the base of the bulb either to stiffen up the assembly (apply with syringe after bulb is soldered into holder).

I swear they have everything from weak snap fit plastic tubes to fucking acrylic PCB turret terminal plates with bulbs clipped to them. its so much better with a proper holder that threads in. Those HP front panel are INFURIATING>!1
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 11:29:02 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf