Author Topic: Prema 8017 HDD backup  (Read 4719 times)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Prema 8017 HDD backup
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 11:09:25 pm »
Maybe there is an hidden recovery feature ???

Offline maginnovisionTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2019, 12:59:48 am »
Have you tried the commands they used in 5017? I would expect they used the same.

-branadic-

I've been using the 5017 with RS232 and none of those commands work. The 8017 seems to look at GPIB and RS232 as being different ways to get the same data.

You surely have those 2 german documents  around 30mb each

https://www.prema.com/index.php/de/service/messgeraetewartung

8017_Multifunktionsmeter_DE_Teil1.pdf
8017_Multifunktionsmeter_DE_Teil2.pdf

tons of infos there

For a video card, youll surely find an old isa 16 bit  sitting duck on Evilbay or elsewhere ;)  I know they maxed out at 1 meg, if i recall, or maybe 2 megs   loll   

I had NOT seen those documents because I'd only looked at the English site.  :palm: My German is pretty rusty, I can read some and speak almost none these days but I'll bet it doesn't take too long to refresh. The commands part will all be in English too so I can at least get started that way. I have some isa video cards, just need to take the time to try one. I am about 101% sure they won't fit with the case together so I'll have to have wait until I have space to leave it open to try a couple.

On the OS partition (lets call it C:) there is a CHK_HDSK.BAT file that gives some clues about almost identical partitions (D: & E:).
Indeed, E: seems to be used as a backup allowing to format and then restore D:
Michel.

Yea, it looks like it creates the file poweron.flg (or whatever it was) and if it's there at startup it'll run chkdsk and/or copy other drive if there are issues. I haven't checked where it stores saved data though, I'm guessing "E:" since it's bigger? Were you able to get your drive cloned?

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 05:48:22 am »
I've been using the 5017 with RS232 and none of those commands work.

Have you set the interface to RS232 in the 5017 menu? You need to select the proper interface and the correct setting and can't have both interfaces active the same time. Try hterm to ping the meter by sending *IDN?. If required I can send you the hterm setting file for it.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline maginnovisionTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 12:41:10 am »
I've been using the 5017 with RS232 and none of those commands work.

Have you set the interface to RS232 in the 5017 menu? You need to select the proper interface and the correct setting and can't have both interfaces active the same time. Try hterm to ping the meter by sending *IDN?. If required I can send you the hterm setting file for it.

-branadic-

What I said might have been confusing. The 5017 I use realterm and RS232 using the M, T, L, etc... Commands. Those don't work for the 8017 even though I wish they did. Everything seems to be in the German 8017 files so I will just have to learn those(the datrons use commands similar to 5017, so do my power supplies).

Offline sorenkir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 08:22:47 pm »
Were you able to get your drive cloned?

Hi,
Yes! I did it!
I have tried a few cloning methods: PartitionSaving, CloneZilla Live. None of them were able to restore the disk.
Eventually I tried Ubuntu (Live 16.04 on a USB stick) and the 'dd' method worked, output file on another USB stick.
   sudo dd if=/dev/sda > image_prema
Then, with the CF adapter and a 2GB CF card, on the IDE interface of my motherboard:
   sudo dd of=/dev/sdf < image_prema

Final result (very professional mounting  ;D):

Thanks to all for you help!
Michel.

The following users thanked this post: maginnovision

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf