Author Topic: PS3 Slim Power Button Connector Ripped Off - Need Help Reconstructing  (Read 1100 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SavethedayTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 91
  • Country: 00
  • hobby technician
Hi everyone,

I’m in a bit of a tough spot with my PS3 Slim CECH-3004A.

While disassembling it for a thermal paste change, I accidentally pulled the power ribbon cable connector by the head instead of releasing it. This resulted in the entire connector ripping off the motherboard, taking some of the solder pads with it.

From what I can observe, the PCB seems to have a standard 2-layer traces on the surface, and I can’t see any obvious internal layers for these specific traces. I’ve tried to trace them, but I’m struggling to find where they lead to create jumpers.

Could you please help me with the following?

    Does anyone have a schematic or a high-resolution trace map for the power button connector area (specifically for the Slim model)?
    Are there any recommended videos or guides on reconstructing lifted pads or where to bridge (jumper) the connections for this specific part?
    Confirming if I only need to worry about surface traces or if there are via-connections I might have missed.

I have some soldering experience but reconstructing pads is new to me. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2026, 10:40:15 pm by Savetheday »
 

Offline SavethedayTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 91
  • Country: 00
  • hobby technician
Re: PS3 Slim Power Button Connector Ripped Off - Need Help Reconstructing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2026, 10:41:33 pm »
Also bottom layer
« Last Edit: April 12, 2026, 10:44:04 pm by Savetheday »
 

Online wraper

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 19502
  • Country: lv
Re: PS3 Slim Power Button Connector Ripped Off - Need Help Reconstructing
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2026, 11:03:50 pm »
You still have all the traces. Just scratch off the solder resist and solder bodge wires to them. No need for schematic or tracing anything whatsoever.
 
The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline Halcyon

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6807
  • Country: au
Re: PS3 Slim Power Button Connector Ripped Off - Need Help Reconstructing
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2026, 06:33:01 am »
Just moved this over to the repair section where it will probably get better visibility.
 

Offline SavethedayTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 91
  • Country: 00
  • hobby technician
Re: PS3 Slim Power Button Connector Ripped Off - Need Help Reconstructing
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2026, 09:04:33 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, while trying to resolder the original plastic ribbon connector, I accidentally damaged two more traces. The plastic housing is also partially melted now.

Does anyone know the exact part number or a source for this specific 6-pin FFC/FPC connector?

Also, considering the traces are heavily damaged, would it be viable to bypass the connector entirely? I’m looking for a budget-friendly way to fix this, perhaps by hard-wiring a custom solution. Any advice on alternative points to solder a power switch would be great.
 

Online aeg

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 461
  • Country: us
Re: PS3 Slim Power Button Connector Ripped Off - Need Help Reconstructing
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2026, 09:39:02 pm »
Practice soldering on scrap boards until you get the hang of it
 
The following users thanked this post: abeyer


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->