Author Topic: repair of phillips pm-3266  (Read 8813 times)

Offline ght_mariusTopic starter

• Contributor
repair of phillips pm-3266
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »
Hi everyone ,I`m new on this forum and I would like to ask you guys about this ac filter, I have no idea how can I get a replacement ac filter for this oscilloscope pm-3266 I have bought it for £18 on eBay and it`s going to be a good project for me to do . Any help will be greatly appreciated .

Thank you in advance

Marius
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:34:16 am by ght_marius »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: repaire of phillips pm-3266
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:09:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

It's an XY mains filter, Google it for more understanding.
Your scope would run fine without it, just not protected against any nasties on the incoming mains.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:22:06 pm »
Hi and thanks for the quick replay I will do this tomorrow after work I will come with more info on the progress. :-+

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:25:36 am »
Hi I want to do some updates about pm3266. I have got the service manual of this oscilloscope but I have noticed that the trigger board don't match with the service manual and also the MTB and DTB , this is one thing ,and the second thing is that , I have found a lot of ceramic capacitors wore cracked on the side, and all so some electrolytic caps with big esr numbers, with different capacity values. My question is can I use different electrolytics like Rubycon or nichicon? Is there a newer version of this oscilloscope service manual?
And I will need someone to help me to troubleshoot this scope any would be much appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:07:10 am by ght_marius »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:08:52 am »
and also the main dc caps rated for 220uf , one reads 308uf and the other reads 289uf
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:23:17 am by ght_marius »

Offline GandalfDerGraue

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:23:39 am »
That's no problem. Electrolytic caps always have huge tolerances. In your case they do have more capacity than they're rated, so that's even better than needed capacity to work properly.  And if they were not OK (but your electrolytics are OK if they have the capacitance you measured) you always can replace them by some other branded ones with exactly the same rating. As long as the capacity is the same and the voltage and temperature range is at least the same rating for the replacement devices, you can almost always replace them.

Regarding the ceramic capacitors - are you sure they're really cracked? Or is it just the stuff around the wire that is broken off a bit? Sometimes it's hard to distinguish, if a capacitor is really cracked inside or if it's just the surrounding of the wire that broke by bending the wires a bit too far when mounting/ soldering.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 04:38:25 am »
Hi, thank you for your reply, yes the ceramic caps are cracked on the side, I used x10 magnification to check them out and I have found all over the scope . I have tried to remove one and it crumble on the table. When I have bought the scope the guy said that there is some noise on channel B but all I can see is green light on the screen. The service manual is an older version of PM3266 because I can see the differences on the boards like trigger board and DTB ,MTB. I really need someone to help me out with the scope. Thank you very much for showing interest in this repair post.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 04:41:49 am »
I will try to do some pictures of the capacitors.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 04:36:25 pm »
Hi everyone I'm trying to find the service manual for PM3265 and PM3264 . I have the manual for pm3266 I would share if someone can help me out. Thanks

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 07:16:07 pm »
Hi everyone I'm trying to find the service manual for PM3265 and PM3264 . I have the manual for pm3266 I would share if someone can help me out. Thanks
That's not fair.  :--
If you have something to share, share it....even if nobody help you....  :-+

PM3266 Service manual:
http://elektrotanya.com/philips_pm3266_service_manual.pdf/download.html

PM3264 Power supply :
http://elektrotanya.com/philips_pm3264_4x2mv,100mhz_oscilloscope_power_supply_sch.png/download.html

PM3262 Service manual :
http://elektrotanya.com/philips_pm3262_service_manual.pdf/download.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:23:18 pm by oldway »

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 10:21:46 pm »
Thanks for your help but I have this manuals already.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 10:40:36 pm »
You would be well advised to use this document for guidance:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-parts/troubleshooting-scopes.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 10:58:03 pm »
Hi, thank you for your reply, yes the ceramic caps are cracked on the side, I used x10 magnification to check them out and I have found all over the scope . I have tried to remove one and it crumble on the table.
You MAY have to replace many of the caps, see this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-468-repairrefurb/msg686496/#msg686496
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 06:58:39 am »
People who want to help you will need it too.
Hi, thank you for your reply, yes the ceramic caps are cracked on the side
I have allready repaired a lot of Philips analog scopes and never seen such a problem.

Worst problem of the PM326x series is bad contacts of the input atenuators switches.
Others Philips scopes use reed relays and don't have such problems.

For PM3264 (4 channels), there are often problems of instabilities and oscillations of the final vertical amplifier and corona discharges of the HV voltage multiplier.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:09:00 am by oldway »

• Contributor
Re: repair of phillips pm-3266
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 09:19:54 am »
this is the capacitor 100nf-250v cracked on the side and I have found about 20 in the all scope :palm:

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 09:42:49 am »

Hi guys this the link for a service manual of pm3265 enjoy. Some people have complained that I don`t share anything ,hopefully it can help someone. And I have as well  the service manual of pm3266 but I need a good scanner to do this so bare with me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:44:06 am by ght_marius »

Offline jaybee53

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 12:54:29 am »
I too have an old PM3266 for repair: Serial DQ-03  01099.  Maybe we can share notes

As with yours, the mains EMI filter was short-circuit.  BTW, the purpose of this filter is to block EMI from entering mains system NOT to protect instrument.  Scope will work OK without filter but could cause EMI on nearby equipment.  A standard filter from e-bay could be installed but not in original space - perhaps in PSU bay?

Not sure if I will repair my unit, so maybe I could supply you with spares?  (My location may make shipping expensive)
Checked my power supply - works OK.  No sign of trace on screen - screen develops green "wash" when intensity increased.  Calibrator has no output (checked with another scope).

Do you have a FULL manual (ie all the text, parts list etc)??  The on-line-free-to-download manual I found has only circuit diagrams and parts location diagrams.  I found a more comprehensive manual for model PM3262 which has the same power supply as PM3266.  Much of the other circuitry is common, but obviously not storage function found in 3266 only.

cheers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf