Author Topic: Restoring three Tektronix 2225  (Read 1930 times)

Offline The GuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Restoring three Tektronix 2225
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:36:21 pm »
Hello people!

I just scored THREE Tek scopes 2225 for cheap that I want to fully restore, hopefully you might want to help me a little along the way... I´m just a newbie regarding scope stuff.

Anyway... for easier understanding I´m gonna call´em Charlie, Mr. Dean and Ben.

I reckon I might sacrifice good ole Ben as a parts donor if necessary (sorry Ben).

I just finished the cosmetic restoration and everyone is looking really tight, specially Mr. Dean, he´s got class.

Alright, I´m obviously going to read the service manual that I already got but If you have any suggestion regarding the failures they are showing please let me know. Let´s get started.

Charlie...  Charlie, also known as "one eyed scope", he has only one channel working... channel B . Channel A is as dead as a channel A can be.

Ben.... Ben is mostly alright but he lost his glasses who knows when... maybe in a fight. He doesn´t focus. This guy doesn´t care about nuthin´ he´s the careless-lest Mofo of the whole world. Ben has his face, knobs and shafts all broken, twisted and scratched up... He works perfectly though it seems, besides the focus that is non existent. Instead of a dot there is a blob, like a squear-ish big spot.

I already looked it up and it has the wires that go from the board to the focus adjustment pot unsoldered. So, Hopefully that`s all that needs to be fixed. But as I said I might use it as a parts donor for Mr. Dean cuz Mr. Dean is the classiest looking scope of all three.

Mr. Dean... Poor Mr. Dean.... he is F**ked up, though he´s handsome and classy, he doesn´t have a scratch. But yea... he´s probably already dead. He doesn´t even power up.

Aaight... that´s how thing are lookin so far.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Guy.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:00:01 pm by The Guy »

Online helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Restoring three Tektronix 2225
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:48:12 pm »
Totally dead is always the best sign. It's always easier to troubleshoot a dead unit than one that is acting funny: just start at the power inlet and go on from there.

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:51:38 pm »
I already soldered the snapped wires to Ben´s focus pot and nothing happened. This is the problem:

https://youtu.be/5e5Y0Ppiv7E

What does that mean? Broken CRT?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 08:51:31 pm »
I already soldered the snapped wires to Ben´s focus pot and nothing happened. This is the problem:

YT link

CRT's rarely break however the circuitry that powers them is some of the most under stress in a CRO.
Start at the PSU in all cases, check it's to spec and go from there.
Pop a link here for the Service manual you're using so we can all be on the same page.  ;)

3 scopes, all the same model, well that's going to give you good familiarity with their innards.  :)
Charlie, Ben and Mr Dean......  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 02:55:21 am »

YT link

CRT's rarely break however the circuitry that powers them is some of the most under stress in a CRO.
Start at the PSU in all cases, check it's to spec and go from there.
Pop a link here for the Service manual you're using so we can all be on the same page.  ;)

3 scopes, all the same model, well that's going to give you good familiarity with their innards.  :)
Charlie, Ben and Mr Dean......  :-DD

Hi Tautech. Thanks for chiming in!

I´m currently troubleshooting Charlie in another thread... can you take a peek and see if you can give me some directions please?
I think I found the failing component, but I´m not entirely sure...

The thread is called "Problems with my Tektronix horizontal amplifier"

Ben is going to end up as a parts donor I´m afraid... he´s bad boy. Doesn´t deserve to live  ;)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:21:00 am by The Guy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf