Author Topic: SMD Diode identification  (Read 280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline xenoxaosTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 13
  • Country: us
SMD Diode identification
« on: August 17, 2025, 12:55:33 am »
I was checking some SSDs that have been out of use from upgrades.2x128Gb and 1x512GB.
I remembered that the 512GB was speedy enough I could throw it in and use it as a mount point for some of the bulkier but less used parts of my homedir. I grabbed a USB to SATA adapter and tested the first two (without even using the extra power plug) but the big one power cycled my powered USB hub and it would come back but with that port disabled. I grabbed a molex to SATA power cable and it showed a dead short between GND and 5V. Current limit on my bench supply at 250mA and 1V (because the current limit kicked in at 0.02V at 250mA. Tested the voltage at various points on the board and it looks like the short was caused by a diode. Broke out the soldering iron and flux to get a shim to isolate it/tombstone it. Now there's no short. Can anyone help identify the diode? I think it's a little fuse but not sure of what kind. Since it's so close to the power connection maybe reverse polarity protection and went short circuit at some point?
 

Offline fzabkar

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3247
  • Country: au
Re: SMD Diode identification
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2025, 02:49:53 am »
It's a 5V TVS diode by Littelfuse.

Or maybe it's a 200W 6V unidirectional TVS diode, SMF6.0A.

https://www.littelfuse.com/assetdocs/tvs-diodes-smf-datasheet?assetguid=7eb8a5b6-bdd0-4561-8f19-0c3cc6f9b2af
« Last Edit: August 17, 2025, 02:53:16 am by fzabkar »
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->