Author Topic: Smeg rangehood  (Read 4158 times)

Offline rthorntnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Smeg rangehood
« on: August 03, 2018, 12:05:07 am »
Hi,

I have the Smeg Classic 591 rangehood, its about 4 years old and both the LED lights have stopped working at the same time, now I would be happy to leave the lights broken as I don't use them but the boss needs it to be brighter than the surface of the sun on the pans, maybe trying to heat from above also haha :-DD

The CC LED driver was a cheap Chinese model so I pulled that out and put a new one in, no joy.

So I suspect the microswitch but the 591 is embedded in the cabinets and I can't really get to it.

The boss is happy to get someone in but I'm loath to spend hundreds of dollars to get someone out for a 4 year old unit that was under A$500.

And I really don't want to try and remove the whole unit, its embedded and looks heavy but I just had another look and maybe the down facing metal facia part unscrews, will have to check that.

Anyone had the same issue, what would you do, anyone have a service manual for it, our household generally prefers repair over replace?

Thanks.

Richard

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:06:39 am by rthorntn »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Smeg rangehood
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:12:56 pm »
The brand is Smeg? lol
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smeg

If they stopped working at the same time then that suggests whatever controls power to them has an issue. Is there a relay that clicks when you press the button? Does anything happen? Did a relay click back when it worked?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:47:28 am »
I used to love Red Dwarf :-DD

It's so long since it last worked that I don't remember if it clicked, I don't think it did.

Maybe its an SSR somewhere, it's only about 35W of LED light.

I will take a closer look at the weekend, will probably try to remove the metal section with the control panel on it.

I reckon it uses microswitches so there is probably a PCB up in there.

If it's a switch issue maybe I will just add in my own hidden rocker switch and wire that in to the lights and PSU.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 04:34:35 am »
Well if it is just a switch then that would make things easy. If you can post a picture of the insides I'd be happy to offer more ideas.

The following users thanked this post: rthorntn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:48:23 am »
Yeah I thought it had a seperate button (A) for the lights but the button seems to do a lot of other crap so that's probably the issue:

A) ON/OFF - lamps. This button is also used for the alarm function of the anti-grease and charcoal filters.  Filter alarm: After 30h of motor operation, the L1 RED LED comes ON and remains ON for 30" (the grease filters have to be cleaned). After 120h of motor operation, the L1 RED LED comes ON and flashes for 30" (the charcoal filters have to be changed if the hood is so equipped). The Filter Alarm is ONLY given with the motor is OFF. The Filter Alarm is cancelled (HOUR meter reset) by holding down button A for 2".

B) Press button B to start the motor at Speed 1. The speed is shown by the L1 GREEN LED coming ON. When held down for 2", the motor switches off. A single pressure on the button when the LED is ON activates the timer function (motor ON for 5'), shown by the flashing LED. To cancel the timer function, press the button again.

C) Press button C to start the motor at Speed 2. The speed is shown by the L2 GREEN LED coming ON. A single pressure on the button when the led is on activates the timer function (motor on for 5'), shown by the flashing LED. To cancel the timer function, press the button again.

D) Press button D to start the motor at Speed 3. The speed is shown by the L3 GREEN LED coming ON. A single pressure on the button when the led is on activates the timer function (motor on for 5'), shown by the flashing LED. To cancel the timer function, press the button again.

E) Press button E to start the motor at Speed 4. The speed is shown by the L4 GREEN LED coming ON. A single pressure on the button when the led is on activates the timer function (motor on for 5'), shown by the flashing LED. To cancel the timer function, press the button again.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:50:06 am by rthorntn »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:58:52 am »
OK so I took both LED lights to work and hooked them up to my bench PSU, one works and the other is dead, so SMEG(head) wired them in series‽

...like one of the old sets of Christmas tree lights where if one bulb went the whole string did?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 11:50:13 am »
Yeah I thought it had a seperate button (A) for the lights but the button seems to do a lot of other crap so that's probably the issue:

A) ON/OFF - lamps. This button is also used for the alarm function of the anti-grease and charcoal filters.  Filter alarm: After 30h of motor operation, the L1 RED LED comes ON and remains ON for 30" (the grease filters have to be cleaned). After 120h of motor operation, the L1 RED LED comes ON and flashes for 30" (the charcoal filters have to be changed if the hood is so equipped). The Filter Alarm is ONLY given with the motor is OFF. The Filter Alarm is cancelled (HOUR meter reset) by holding down button A for 2".

B) Press button B to start the motor at Speed 1. The speed is shown by the L1 GREEN LED coming ON. When held down for 2", the motor switches off. A single pressure on the button when the LED is ON activates the timer function (motor ON for 5'), shown by the flashing LED. To cancel the timer function, press the button again.

C) Press button C to start the motor at Speed 2. The speed is shown by the L2 GREEN LED coming ON. A single pressure on the button when the led is on activates the timer function (motor on for 5'), shown by the flashing LED. To cancel the timer function, press the button again.

D) Press button D to start the motor at Speed 3. The speed is shown by the L3 GREEN LED coming ON. A single pressure on the button when the led is on activates the timer function (motor on for 5'), shown by the flashing LED. To cancel the timer function, press the button again.

E) Press button E to start the motor at Speed 4. The speed is shown by the L4 GREEN LED coming ON. A single pressure on the button when the led is on activates the timer function (motor on for 5'), shown by the flashing LED. To cancel the timer function, press the button again.
Wow. That is one of the most confusing UIs I've seen for a rangehood. I suppose a dimmer-style knob for the motor and a switch for the lights was deemed too simple... :palm:

The following users thanked this post: rthorntn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf