Author Topic: Source for replacement piezo buzzer? (Fluke 117)  (Read 1480 times)

Offline iXodTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Source for replacement piezo buzzer? (Fluke 117)
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:22:50 pm »
Piezo died in Fluke 117.

Where can I source a replacement piezo buzzer? Fluke no help.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:32:23 pm by iXod »

• Frequent Contributor
Fixing a Fluke 117 (was: Source for replacement piezo buzzer?)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:22:34 am »
New info:

There is no signal going to the piezo. Removed the Piezo, scoped the pads and enabled 2 modes (Non-Contact Voltage Detect; and Continuity) but nothing seen.

Traces go back to CD4069UBC hex inverter. Here's the mind-bending thing to me: an inverter is connected *across* the piezo:

There are no other connections to the piezo's pads (ie, on the flip side of the board). The many vias at the top of the board is part of the non-contact voltage detector.

Am I losing my brain? When is it good design sense to put an inverter across a piezo? What the...?

Cheers.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Source for replacement piezo buzzer? (Fluke 117)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:11:46 am »
Connecting an inverter across a Piezo is normal practice to improve its volume - one side goes up, the other side goes down, effectively doubling the voltage swing. Your problem is whatever is failing to feed the inverter with a signal.

I notice that you have double posted this thread in the Test Equipment section too. That's never a good idea because people end up answering both of them and it gets annoying. I suggest you terminate one of the threads (probably this one as several people have answered the other one), and change the title to 'MOD please delete'. The other thread is: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/source-for-replacement-piezo-buzzer-%28fluke-117%29/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:13:26 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

• Frequent Contributor
MOD please delete
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:23:50 am »
duplicate post.
[op]

Offline vbalint

Re: Source for replacement piezo buzzer? (Fluke 117)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:50:14 am »
I suppose the 4069 forms an oscillator with the R49/R50/C34 and it is also a driver. I'm pretty sure that the pin 6 of the 4069 is connected to the pin 9. From pin 9 an inverter is also driven which outout is pin 10. An interesting detail is that the GND of the 4069 is switched with Q11.

If the buzzer is otherwise good it is most probably the 4069 what went wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf