Author Topic: SRS DS345 double voltage output or what?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline e-pirateTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • www.e-pirate.ru
SRS DS345 double voltage output or what?
« on: April 30, 2017, 11:39:29 pm »
Hi, folks!
Just received an SRS DS345 synthesized function generator from eBay. And after some testing I found some strange thing. The output level seems to be double the set value. If I set 1 Vpp on the unit, the actual waveform amplitude between peaks is 2 V (measured with cursors from highest to lowest point of the sin wave with 1 MOhm DC coupled input). OK.. I thought I misunderstood the Vpp thing, but then I did a multimeter test as described in manual. I set generator to output 100 Hz 1V RMS and my multimeter reads 2 V on AC. The gen passes all self test and self calibration routings and fully functional with the exception of double output.
I'm doing something wrong or what?
** Think, research, design, experiment, create..

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: SRS DS345 double voltage output or what?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:49:10 pm »
Did you note this

"into 50? load "

Offline e-pirateTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • www.e-pirate.ru
Re: SRS DS345 double voltage output or what?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 08:03:57 am »
Sure. And there was a "trap for the yang players", as Dave says. When I use internal 50 ohm termination on my scope, the amplitude drops so significantly, that I decided, that I'm doing something wrong. But actually, I start to understand. I don't have a proper 50 Ohm BNC-to-BNC cable on hand, only various scope probes in my Tek pouch and they seem to misbehave (have incorrect impedance) even in X1 mode. Just because the probe has approximately 300Ohm resistance, it forms a divider and therefore the readout was wrong while both the scope and the gen were operating correctly. I simply didn't expect that from X1 probe! When I got a dodgy 50ohm cable with a BNC on once side and a pair of crocodile clips on the other and connected it to the scope that was 50 Ohm terminated internally, I got perfect signal with spot on Vpp. A good lesson for me: it's not your equipment, it's a lack of knowledge multiplies rush multiplies non-thinking-before-doing.
** Think, research, design, experiment, create..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf