Author Topic: TDS684B fails acquisition self test  (Read 5437 times)

Offline JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
TDS684B fails acquisition self test
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:22:52 pm »
Just had this TDS684B scope come across my bench for repair. Purchased on Ebay as working:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141797300530?

(Yeah, right. If I had a dollar for every time I've bought something off Ebay as used and fully functional that really was...)  :-\

Would pass the power on self tests and SPC, but when the full self test was run from the utility menu, it would fail with the following errors:
"Thu 10-29-;5 13:58:28  ERROR: diagnostic test failure, digFisoShortPipeDiag, ffffffc4 <= exp <= 3b  was = -61, CH2: addr = 7340004, BWL=20MHz";
"Thu 10-29-;5 14:08:08  ERROR: diagnostic test failure, digFisoShortPipeDiag, ffffffc4 <= exp <= 3b  was = -61, CH2: addr = 7340008, BWL=20MHz"
"Fri 10-30-;5 06:37:03  ERROR: diagnostic test failure, digFisoShortPipeDiag, ffffffc4 <= exp <= 3b  was = -61, CH2: addr = 734000c, BWL=20MHz"

Found two unsoldered pins (51 and 52) on the A/D converter for CH2. This fault was there since it was originally manufactured in the 90's!  :wtf:

Looking back through the logs, the first occurrence was in 1999. One would think that it was probably worth having Tektronix repair it. I wonder if it was under warranty then?

Took a picture - wish I had a better camera.

Jay
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:35:11 pm by Jwalling »
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TDS684B fails acquisition self test
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:36:51 pm »
Quite certain that the 684A's were the model when Tek started to phase out the smd electro. caps and switched to tantalum.

The smd electro's have been known to fail too.

Are you saying that the failed bit test was due to the two pins?

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:24:17 pm »
Quite certain that the 684A's were the model when Tek started to phase out the smd electro. caps and switched to tantalum.

The smd electro's have been known to fail too.

There's only a handful of aluminum electrolytics on the CPU board. None on the ACQ board.

Are you saying that the failed bit test was due to the two pins?

That's what I thought initially in my hurry to post this, however, the failure persisted after soldering the two pins (one of which was a GND.  :-BROKE

It turns out that it's the ceramic attenuator on CH2. Putting a known-good one corrected the failure. Will now check the relays as well as those little copper interconnects between them and the ACQ board and see what I find.

Jay

Jay

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »
AFAIK the relays in the attenuators can fail but are easy to repair. Hot-air is probably the best method since it is easy to rub a trace from a hybrid circuit but better ask for advice from others on how to repair the hybrid attenuator.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline John_ITIC

• Frequent Contributor
  • ITIC Protocol Analyzers
    • International Test Instruments Corporation
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:33:05 pm »
It turns out that it's the ceramic attenuator on CH2.

May I ask how the heck you found this? I previously repaired my old TDS544A scope, which failed signal path compensation, but that was the obvious fix by replacing all SMT electrolytic capacitors. Anything else bad, without board-level schematics, I've found it to be hopefully impossible to trace to the error...
Pocket-Sized USB 2.0 LS/FS/HS Protocol Analyzer Model 1480A with OTG decoding.
Pocket-sized PCI Express 1.1 Protocol Analyzer Model 2500A. 2.5 Gbps with x1, x2 and x4 lane widths.
https://www.internationaltestinstruments.com

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »
The TDS520B component level service manual can be used to track most problems but you have to be bit creative.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline John_ITIC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 12:35:51 am »
The TDS520B component level service manual can be used to track most problems but you have to be bit creative.

Like this one? http://exodus.poly.edu/~kurt/manuals/manuals/Tektronix/TEK%20TDS%20520B,%20540B,%20620B,%20644B,%20680B,%20684B,%20724A,%20744A,%20784A%20Service.pdf

There's not a single schematics so there's no way to pursue an engineering approach to searching for errors. Anything board-level is blaringly missing. Of course, these days, we are not suppose to repair but rather throw away and buy new. Also, I suppose the manufactures don't want to give away any engineering information to the competition. Gone are the days where full technical information was published for complex equipment...
Pocket-sized PCI Express 1.1 Protocol Analyzer Model 2500A. 2.5 Gbps with x1, x2 and x4 lane widths.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:51:39 am »
Duck-duck-go before ranting... One of the first results:
http://www.austexsoftware.com/documents/tektronix/service/070971003%20TDS520B%20Mod%20CM%20Digitizing%20Oscilloscope%20Component%20Service%20Manual.pdf

The TDS500/600/700 series are very similar so the diagrams will help to find most of the problems.

Offline John_ITIC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 05:39:44 am »
Great; thanks.

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:23:59 am »

May I ask how the heck you found this? I previously repaired my old TDS544A scope, which failed signal path compensation, but that was the obvious fix by replacing all SMT electrolytic capacitors. Anything else bad, without board-level schematics, I've found it to be hopefully impossible to trace to the error...

No problem there - I've replaced hundreds of them. I cut out the bad one, clear the pads and solder on new ones.
Jay
Jay

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 10:38:52 am »

As I said, I found it by replacing it with a known-good one.
It turns out that one of the relays was bad in the N.O. position. When energized, the N.C. pins would remain shorted, and the N.O pins would remain open, even though I could hear the relay click.
I wrote an X on the bad one. Oddly enough, of the hundreds of relays I've replaced on these, this particular one fails very rarely.
The most common one is to the left and slightly lower. The next one to fail often in terms of frequency is the one above that.
It's almost like there's patterns to these failures. :-//

Jay
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:42:52 am by Jwalling »
Jay

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 09:04:36 pm »

As I said, I found it by replacing it with a known-good one.
It turns out that one of the relays was bad in the N.O. position. When energized, the N.C. pins would remain shorted, and the N.O pins would remain open, even though I could hear the relay click.
I wrote an X on the bad one. Oddly enough, of the hundreds of relays I've replaced on these, this particular one fails very rarely.
The most common one is to the left and slightly lower. The next one to fail often in terms of frequency is the one above that.
It's almost like there's patterns to these failures. :-//

Jay

Hey Jay,

Sorry for the necroposting, but what do you consider a bad relay? I'm measuring relays anywhere between 0.5 and 3.5 Ohm between com and NC...

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 09:49:34 pm »
Hey Jay,

Sorry for the necroposting, but what do you consider a bad relay? I'm measuring relays anywhere between 0.5 and 3.5 Ohm between com and NC...

I use a 4 wire (kelvin) measurement with a Keithley 2015 in REL mode when doing this. What are you using?
Anything over 60mOhms gets replaced.
Jay

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 07:17:31 am »
U1252B.

Double checked with a Rigol DM3058E in Kelvin mode.  There I measure 40-50m \$\Omega\$ for a good one.

I think I will use 0.75 \$\Omega\$ on the Agilent as a threshold, will measure a bit esier.

Thanks for the input!

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 07:47:06 am »
6 relays have been nominated for the bin.

Also: WTF?

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 09:37:41 am »
6 relays have been nominated for the bin.

Also: WTF?

Oddly enough, I've seen that many times on that relay!
Jay

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 05:09:15 pm »
That's...

Seriously, how could QA have missed that???

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 06:05:44 pm »
That solder splash could have happened when someone removed it to try to repair the bad channel. 

Here's a picture from the power supply of a 744A I used to own. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf