Author Topic: Thrustmaster T150 racing wheel pcb faulty (no voltage to cpu)  (Read 18422 times)

Offline nonkapo

• Contributor
Re: Thrustmaster T150 racing wheel pcb faulty (no voltage to cpu)
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2021, 11:39:02 am »
Here the rest. At all Sclk, Sdata, TP1 and TP2 3.3volts approximately are present.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:43:09 am by nonkapo »

Offline culebron

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2021, 01:48:49 pm »
Hi,
seeing other people finding this thread and replying about their issues, I'll post my one too.

Thrustmaster T150RS. One day it stayed turned on (but idle) for 6 hours, then I started driving with it, and force feedback turned off. (I suppose, the motor was heated but still within limits, but after it started working again, it heated above a threshold and something failed.) No driver reinstalls or reboots helped.

Currently, the device turns on and rotates the steering wheel from lock to lock both ways, absolutely normally. It gets detected and work fine in games, except for force feedback.

I opened the lid and checked if there were any noteable defects, but don't see any. I suspect the thermal resistor to be the reason. Currently, it shows 43-45 kOhm, and when heated it drops to 33 kOhm. Comparing to datasheets of other thermal resistors, it seems way off the scale.

I tried a fix, but it did not help: I connected a usual resistor instead: 43K, then 20K, 11K, 5K, 3K, 1K, 510, 325, 100, 30 Ohm, and even shorted the 2 pins. (Every time I would disconnect the wheel and power it down.)  None of that seemed to work. Only once with 325 Ohm the FFB would show signs of life, but I could not reproduce that.

Question: what resistance does this thermal resistor have on a working model?

Offline culebron

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2021, 01:55:55 pm »
As an afterthought: I measured the voltage between VCC and GND pins connecting to the resistor, and it was 0.16 V. Could it be that the thermistor lowered resistance so much that something in the net that's before it failed?

Offline MC87

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2021, 08:27:00 am »
Hi Culebron,

I have the same issue although with my thrustmaster tmx slightly different board.
I measured everything could not find anything until i saw your post about the thermal resistor which would be obvious |O |O.

When i plug off the thermal resistor connector from the motor to the board the force feedback works again in the test tab on the thrustmaster software.
I guess i need a new resistor then, i am tempted to just play with it plugged off though since the motor is fine and cool.
Does anybody know which resistor is used here?

FYI the measured voltage on my pins to the resistor is 3,3V so you definitely have something wrong in the supply and nothing in the resistor side will make it work for you.

Anyway thanks for pointing out the obvious:D

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:56:21 am by MC87 »

Offline culebron

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2021, 01:32:58 pm »
Hi, MC87,
that's curious information. If no resistor (= infinite resistance) makes it work, then it makes sense why my one is not working.

If my resistor is ok, then 43kOhm @ 25° should work. These seem to have the required property:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001495663005.html

this one has 33kOhm @ 25, but I'm not sure this is high enough.
https://www.newark.com/epcos/b57891m0333k000/thermistor-ntc-radial-leaded/dp/63W2797

In theory, you could test it with usual resistors and find the threshold at which it turns on.

Can I ask you to help with cross-checking the part on the board? If you have a working one, finding a failed part would be easy, if we chat over Zoom, for instance.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:34:50 pm by culebron »

Offline MC87

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2021, 07:15:49 am »
Hi, MC87,
that's curious information. If no resistor (= infinite resistance) makes it work, then it makes sense why my one is not working.

If my resistor is ok, then 43kOhm @ 25° should work. These seem to have the required property:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001495663005.html

this one has 33kOhm @ 25, but I'm not sure this is high enough.
https://www.newark.com/epcos/b57891m0333k000/thermistor-ntc-radial-leaded/dp/63W2797

In theory, you could test it with usual resistors and find the threshold at which it turns on.

Can I ask you to help with cross-checking the part on the board? If you have a working one, finding a failed part would be easy, if we chat over Zoom, for instance.

Maybe i Can help you yes.
But as i mentioned i have a thrustmaster TMX and i saw from the pictures on this topic that i have a slightly different board and i dont even understand my board fully.
Can you take a picture of where you think the 0.16v starts from so i can measure or see if i even have that component on my board, you could use the pictures in this topic as a reference for the 3.3v needed? you must have some sort of short somewhere.
The 0.16V is definitely a problem for you.
It would be nice if someone has a working resistor so we have the specs to order a new proper one. My resistor was shorted having 0.3ohm.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:17:58 am by MC87 »

Offline AndreiLC

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2023, 07:59:57 am »
Resurrecting this old topic, maybe someone can help me  :)
Recently bought an Thrustmaster T150 with faulty 2 pedal set.

The problem can be seen here: https://youtu.be/xLhe_Hb6ZRs . It sometimes occurs when the brake pedal is depressed, and applying gas. Or sometimes it happens on gas only.

What i tried:

The the cable was kincked and some whires where unportected, so i shortend the whole cable past the damaged section.
Disassambeld and cleaned out the two pots, the problem still persisted, so bought new pots and assembeld them with new wires directly to the board, bypassing the old pedals cable and the internal cable from the motherboard to the pedal set connector. But the problem still presists.

Any suggestions ?

Right now i am considering modding the pedals with arduino and plug them dirrectly into the pc.

Many thanks.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2023, 11:28:29 pm »
Have you measured the voltage on the pots in operation? Best place to do that is at the other end of the cable where they plug in. Typically they will have one end connected to a voltage source and the other to ground then the signal comes off the wiper. It's possible that the voltage source is noisy or sagging. It could also be driver issue, this is a quite old peripheral isn't it?

Offline nonkapo

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2023, 06:43:28 pm »
 Dear, do not consider the pedals are faulty. I've recently seen for sale T150 wheel with T80 pedals. They are not compatible. So check first what pedals you have. You might be lucky if i'm right. The other thing is there is update from 2019 or 2020 which changes the way pedals are recognized. Check if you have that update and see if it helps. Let us know how far you went.

Offline nonkapo

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2023, 02:33:10 pm »
  Another faulty T150 here. Now the patient have different symptoms. Initially it was not firing up. After disassembly and check i figure out solder shorted pins. After removing the drop of solder the wheel start the initialization turns but after that it gets disconnected. Feels like some sort of protection circuit switch it off. The fan keep trying to turn though. Any ideas?? I'm thinking about the power supply fault but it may be anything else connected to power regulation.  Any ideas? Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf