Author Topic: Transistor socket corrosion in 4xx series Tektronix scopes  (Read 1641 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Transistor socket corrosion in 4xx series Tektronix scopes
« on: July 01, 2018, 10:43:32 pm »
Does anyone have a good solution for rehabilitating a piece of gear that has been in  storage in a humid climate  for 15 years? 

Are there potions that will *safely* clean the sockets?  I've got a Tek 465 and a Dumont 1060 I'd like to revive.  Both are socketed semiconductors throughout.  I plan on using a hot air system and liquid flux to rework all the solder joints, but removing the sockets and directly soldering the transistors is not a very attractive proposition.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Transistor socket corrosion in 4xx series Tektronix scopes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 11:42:47 pm »
Deoxit d5 improve metal to metal contact and help remove corrosion. So I would probably try that first.

But how much corrosion are you talking about ? Replacing the sockets might be a option too.

The following users thanked this post: chris_leyson

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 12:39:05 am »
Deoxit d5 improve metal to metal contact and help remove corrosion. So I would probably try that first.

But how much corrosion are you talking about ? Replacing the sockets might be a option too.

What he said^^

I remove the transistor wipe the leads with a q-tip soaked in deoxit and wipe the socket squeezing a little into the socket. Make sure you double check the leads are socketed when you replace them. I was working on a 465 a few weeks ago and bent one lead. No sweep when I turned it back on. Took me forever to find the transistor that I bent the lead on. I usually do the edge wipe ICs also.

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:25:07 am »

I'd rather just sell the scopes than replace all those sockets.  At that level of effort I'd get rid of the sockets  and eliminate the problem completely.

While it seemed like a good idea at the time, it was actually really stupid.  The transistors are much more reliable than the sockets.

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 03:04:05 am »

I'd rather just sell the scopes than replace all those sockets.  At that level of effort I'd get rid of the sockets  and eliminate the problem completely.

While it seemed like a good idea at the time, it was actually really stupid.  The transistors are much more reliable than the sockets.

Let me know the price. I would love to have another 465 to work on.

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:29:41 pm »

They are pretty awesome.  Just reading the service manual makes you feel good.  You can feel the passion of the team that produced that series of scopes.  I'm probably going to buy a refurbished 485 that the seller tells me is super clean.  It won't be cheap, but he repaints the hosuing and replaces failure prone caps, etc.  He goes through a pretty detailed procedure.  Digital scopes do some really nice things, but the great virtue of an analog scope is there are no bugs that only the OEM can fix.

Offline particleman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 10:21:40 pm »

They are pretty awesome.  Just reading the service manual makes you feel good.  You can feel the passion of the team that produced that series of scopes.  I'm probably going to buy a refurbished 485 that the seller tells me is super clean.  It won't be cheap, but he repaints the hosuing and replaces failure prone caps, etc.  He goes through a pretty detailed procedure.  Digital scopes do some really nice things, but the great virtue of an analog scope is there are no bugs that only the OEM can fix.

I bet you will be getting one of my cases with your 485 I just sold him a few. 485 is a great scope I have 2 of them.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:28:00 pm »

I've removed the transistor, used a jeweller's screwdriver to put a tiny dtop of D5 on each socket, and reinserted the transistor. Has it helped? Don't know, but it hasn't harmed.

Rather than replacing the sockets, I'd simply solder the transistor nito the socket - but I've never found that necessary.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf