Author Topic: Try to fix a wireless mouse keep on clicking double / twice  (Read 982 times)

Offline abdulbadiiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Try to fix a wireless mouse keep on clicking double / twice
« on: November 26, 2021, 08:21:28 am »
How do we fix (cheap China) wireless mouse clicking double / twice when it's really clicked once ?
compare it to the working well Logitech (brand owned by Silicon Valley, Logitech, but most made in China too anyway), it's PCB click-button component is about the same

Please help shed light into insight of electronic usefullness

Offline Xenon

• Contributor
Re: Try to fix a wireless mouse keep on clicking double / twice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 12:21:42 pm »
Don't be fooled by a name.
I have several Logitech mouses and trackballs.
Especially the trackballs have buttons that sometimes don't register at all. You hear the click, just nothing happens. Press it again and all is fine.
Even brands like Logitech cut costs on parts nowadays.

I still have a 16 year old wireless Logitech keyboard. Built like a tank and outlives all newer boards I bought after that one.
Logitech was quality....a long time ago.

Back on-topic:
In pinball machines switch bouncing is fixed with a small capacitor in parallel over the switch contact. Should work in a mouse as well. A few nF should do, may need experimenting.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 12:29:15 pm by Xenon »

The following users thanked this post: abdulbadii

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 12:33:10 pm »
Its rare for mice to use any button switch other than a subminiature SPST microswitch or a four pin NO tactile switch for less used buttons if there's little space under them.   If replacing the switch doesn't solve your double-click problem there's not a whole lot you can do.

The following users thanked this post: abdulbadii

Offline abdulbadiiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 10:45:20 am »
 :-+

Great !  I'll try to fix as hard as I can.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 11:28:34 am »
yeah, this issue is almost always a bad switch.

Even the good brands like Logitech don't use the really good brand name switches now.
With cheap switches and low current + low voltage DC you often get issues.

There are two things you can do,
- Replace the switch with something really good quality
And/Or
- Find the pullup resistor and make it lower to push more current through the switch contacts.  eg, you might find it only running 0.5mA through the switch and you can change or add more resistor to make this 5mA to fix the issues.
The manufacturers like to lower this current especially on wireless gaming mice because the buttons can spend a significant amount of time in the down state. So reducing the switch current gets more battery life at the cost of switch glitches if the contacts are not perfectly plated for low current operation.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:30:50 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 11:54:32 am »
Even the good brands like Logitech don't use the really good brand name switches now.
With cheap switches and low current + low voltage DC you often get issues.
Logitech wireless mice with Omron switches reliably have double click issues after 3-18 months of use, my luck was 100% with 3 of their $100-200 mice.  IMHO it's because they use a weak pull up from MCU which does not provide enough of wetting current. I have Logitech G613 wireless mechanical keyboard with OMRON ROMER-G switches. It has abysmal double clicking from 15+ switches. Contact resistance is abysmal, often in many kiloohms range, contacts are not even gold plated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf