Author Topic: Value for money hot air rework station - or alternative  (Read 1231 times)

Offline NOON DesignTopic starter

• Contributor
Value for money hot air rework station - or alternative
« on: January 20, 2020, 12:26:32 am »
Hi, I've been soldering through-hole parts for nearly 40 years now and taken up hand soldering surface mount components (with a magnifying lamp) in the last few years, but have now hit a repair that requires new tools.

I have to replace a couple of BUF634 power buffers in TO-263 DDPAK surface mount packages. They're pretty solidly attached to the PCB, so I assume I'll need a hot air station to get them off safely.

This is not something I'm going to be doing often, so I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want ultra-cheap disposable crap.

Budget is up to maybe AUD$300, I'm in Melbourne, Australia.
Recommendations for the best tool/s for the job (with minimal risk to the PCB)?

Would also love some pointers to techniques or tutorials to get me started, haven't played with hot air guns before.

Cheers!

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Value for money hot air rework station - or alternative
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:47:25 am »
Quick 861DW.

Offline NOON DesignTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 02:06:44 am »
Thanks. They seem to go for $400 - $500 here, so a bit more than I was hoping to spend. Anything that's a bit cheaper but still worthwhile?

Online DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 03:33:22 am »
Value for money?  One of the 858s.  Lots of rebrands, but I've got a WEP 858D and it was like $30 US.  Works fine, doesn't take up much space, seems to be fairly even with temperature and airflow settings.

Doesn't seem to be the safest thing available(see David's video on a similar unit melting itself), but lots of people have and use them and the failure rate seems relatively low.  Been using mine for years and while it's no frills, isn't particularly quiet, and can't put out a crazy amount of heat or airflow.... it really does fine for the majority of SMD work.

An alternative for your application could be a PCB preheater, then just using your iron as normal, but I think the flexibility of the hot air station makes it a better investment (and if you get a cheapy like the 858, a much smaller investment).

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 05:55:14 am »
I've got one of YIHUA 853AAA. It takes more space on the desk but if you have extensive ground plane you may need to preheat the board. It makes removing components much easier.
In some applications I think it's really helpful to have a stand. Heating something and having both hands available to do the work... priceless.
They are a bit pricey $200.
I also have few different versions of 858. It will do the work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf