Author Topic: VIDEO Tektronix 455 No Trace- Trace shows up when I put my hand on side of unit  (Read 2115 times)

Offline MistaMunTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello! I found my problem today.

https://youtu.be/4PLOMSEy2dg

I turned on my Tektronix 455 and what do you know, I don't see neither of the traces anymore. Out of curiosity, I started to slap the side of the oscilloscope and found out that the traces were starting to cycle more I put my hand closer to the side of the unit.

Has anybody else have faced this problem before? What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
Have you had the cover off of the unit at all?

My initial guess would be that the shielding on the cover is not making good contact. I could be wrong though.

Offline Ray.B

• Contributor
I think the problem with the scope is the horizontal leads have come loose from the CRT. 

First unplug the scope from the wall, use a grounding strap to protect the electronic parts inside-like a computer uses.

Undo the cover, using a quarter six places.  remove the time base module, phillips screw next to CRT bulkhead, and the rear of the time base module phillips screw.  Remove both, pull module up and remove.  The horizontal leads are on the bottom of the CRT , 3/4 of the way back, attached to the main board.   Using tweezers or needle noose pliers to push the leads gently onto the glass CRT, use very little pressure.  Use the reverse reinstall procedure to put everything back together.  If this doesn't fix it, it is on the horizontal module, probabily.

This is the easiest solution.  Ray B.

Offline iXod

• Frequent Contributor
Get good and experienced with left-handed probing?  :-DD   :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf