Author Topic: XBOX one controller - analog control shifting  (Read 4904 times)

Offline vinicius.jlantunesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
XBOX one controller - analog control shifting
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:07 pm »
Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice on fixing my XBOX one controller - more specifically, advice on what replacement part / brands to look for.
Its right analog stick started drifting downwards recently - internet searches suggest this is a common problem with these controllers...  :palm:

I couldn't crack mine open as I don't have a T8 torx security bit, but in the meantime I found several references that suggest they use an ALPS part - which is not what I expected as I thought it had failed for being a crappy part (I have ALPS as being a good brand, right?).

Anyways, looking at the ALPS catalog the only part number that they have that would fit the bill is RKJXV1224005, so I'm assuming this is the part (to be confirmed once I disassemble the controller).

Would anyone have any brands / compatible part numbers to suggest? I was hoping to source a better quality part if possible, to avoid more problems in the future. Or should I just accept that these will fail and buy a bunch to have handy for replacement? (they go for about 2 bucks on mouser, but shipping to Brazil will be expensive).

The controller is ~2 years old and I'm not a heavy player. My XBOX 360 controllers are still going strong after some 8-10 years of use... hoping of getting the same kind of like out of my XBOX one controllers.

ALPS part for reference: http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/MultiControl/Potentiometer/RKJXK/RKJXV1224005.html

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: XBOX one controller - analog control shifting
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:41:10 pm »
The parts are fine but vulnerable to large forces that often occur with players in the middle of an exiting game. If you look at the specs you probably see around a million uses, but with very low force.
Biggest problem i have with these "joysticks" is that they have also a push function which requires a larger force perpendicular on the other vectors. Just not the wisest decision they could have made imo.
If you use these joysticks for lets say camera movement and the such they will outlast a lifetime. For a game they should have looked at the ruggedness of the old arcade machines, those were build to last.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:46:28 pm »
Yeah, and my searches for an alternative brand have not been encouraging so far. What I wonder though is how the XBOX 360 controllers (which were very similar) last so long and on the XBOX one controllers this seems to be a common problem - I play the in the same way / amount of hours. Perhaps some other aspect of the mechanical design of the new controllers... or maybe dirt gets in more easily... who knows. When I manage to open mine I will try to investigate what exactly is wrong with mine.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:58:25 pm »
- they use more plastic
- they use cheaper plastic
- they use molds longer
because china, and every cent per 1000 units counts
if you look at the same part in 360 controller it has metal bracket inside and feels like its made from better plastic
everything went downhill when mass production moved to china, logi mouses used to be legendary, nowadays every $5 mouse has the very same '10 million' clicks apls microswitch and they all fail after ~year of gaming
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:01:22 pm »
Just to report that I finally had some time to fix my controller. I bought replacement parts from Aliexpress which seem to be good, but I can't be sure if they're genuine. They work though, and for ~7USD (5 pieces) I think it's good enough.

Aliexpress link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Multifunctional-game-rocker-crank-B10K-No-RKJXV1224005-send-cap/32702931800.html

Offline ls840617

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:32:38 am »
Replacement analog stick for PS4 Dualshock 4 controller.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf