Author Topic: A PSU like they don't do them anymore.  (Read 1733 times)

Offline HaenkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
A PSU like they don't do them anymore.
« on: July 22, 2021, 09:46:01 am »
A *lot* of copper went into this.
The SMPS has a stated MTBF of about 20 years.
And as this was a for a high end audio measuremen1238397-0t system, they obviously spared no expenses to reduce noise.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: A PSU like they don't do them anymore.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 11:39:23 am »
If you are only making a few dozen probably was cheaper to use all the separate transformers, than contact ILP to get a custom wound toroid with all the secondaries you need, all of them shielded from the other windings. Looks like some of the ones on the left are audio coupling transformers, so pretty hard to make them into one unit, and they probably were all pretty expensive already, so keeping the 2 PCB mount ones with the power supply to provide analogue voltage rails, with the big SMPS to run the digital side, was worth the cost.

More worried about the elderly Schaffner mains inlet with combined fuse and filter, as that is much more likely to let out smoke.

Offline Petertronic

Re: A PSU like they don't do them anymore.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 08:39:59 pm »
More worried about the elderly Schaffner mains inlet with combined fuse and filter, as that is much more likely to let out smoke.

I just had a similar Schaffner filter blow up in a Tektronix signal generator, mid 90's vintage. Huge bang, and the stinkiest smoke ever. I'd replace those things on sight.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf