Author Topic: Any opinions on the Aixun T420D?  (Read 35176 times)

Tor Björn and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
Re: Any opinions on the Aixun T420D?
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2023, 11:41:24 am »
I think, it is better to have 2 soldering station. When one fail, you still have another

The following users thanked this post: Pooya

Online ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2023, 08:56:31 pm »
Yeah sure. It is cheap. Btw, tell me if it have overshooting problem like t3a. I read one comment in youtube about t420d have overshooting problem after update the firmware.

Offline evgenij

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2023, 08:23:36 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about retiring my rds80 and buying a station with active soldering tips, so i came across the aixun stations. Since I want to stay as flexible as possible, the Aixun-T420 would be the "better" option for me than e.g. the Aixun-T320, especially since it supports 3 different holders. But what I'm not 100% sure about is this strange ground problem that the Aixun-T320/Aixun-T3A have. Is the T420 also affected?

br
Evgenij

Online ndarjo21

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2023, 09:00:45 pm »
What i get from sdg video is, it happen when tip / ground earthed. So it will shorted voltage from thermocouple to the earth then affect the signal if temperature. He says it better use floating psu

Offline Neshco

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2023, 04:47:17 pm »
Looking for some active tip soldering station and this one is on the top of the list, what about the handles, have anyone tried genuine JBC handles and tips on it, does it need some hacking or can be plugged without any modification?

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2023, 08:58:32 pm »
Looking for some active tip soldering station and this one is on the top of the list, what about the handles, have anyone tried genuine JBC handles and tips on it, does it need some hacking or can be plugged without any modification?

Came to ask the same thing, I suspect it'll need a new connector.  I bought a genuine JBC T245-PA and used that on my Aixun T3A.  I've now ordered a T420 and I'd like to do the same for the 115 (using JBC NT115).

So I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of connector is being used and what the pin out is?

EDIT: Oh you posted this a long time ago, ever get anywhere with that?

Offline erniarrow

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2023, 08:17:03 am »
Hi all. I recently purchased the Aixun T420 single-channel solder station with a soldering iron holder. When using the C115 soldering handle and tip, I hear a clicking sound from the solder station when turning it on. This sound does not occur when I use the C210 handle and tip. Has any Aixun T420 user experienced the same issue? I suspect that this sound originates from the relay switching inside the solder station when adjusting the voltage for the new type of soldering tip, but I would appreciate confirmation from others regarding this matter. Thank you in advance.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2023, 09:47:50 am »
Hi all. I recently purchased the Aixun T420 single-channel solder station with a soldering iron holder. When using the C115 soldering handle and tip, I hear a clicking sound from the solder station when turning it on. This sound does not occur when I use the C210 handle and tip. Has any Aixun T420 user experienced the same issue? I suspect that this sound originates from the relay switching inside the solder station when adjusting the voltage for the new type of soldering tip, but I would appreciate confirmation from others regarding this matter. Thank you in advance.

T245 and T210 use a 28v winding and the T115 uses a 8.5v winding.  So the click is it selecting to the lower voltage winding.  You can see the windings here:

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2023, 10:01:39 am »
I ordered a T420 from an Aliexpress seller and realised the T420 IS NOT the same as the T420D

source

And this isn't just wording or mistranslation; there is a different firmware

I should call out that based on that press release from Aixun you need to choose carefully, because some people are throwing out info like the T420 is a "gentle" path to T420D.  That does not appear to be the case.

They only appear to release partial firmwares on their Github, so I doubt you can just cross-flash; hardware not withstanding, would be interested to hear if anyone has attempted this cross flash.  Since the full firmware is not available and the microprocessor is read protected I'm not going to risk throwing $200 in the water.

Hardware wise my T420 has T420D hardware, identical to SDGs.  I got some black painted philips screws instead of stainless allen key nuts holding things in place (yes, I pay attention to that level of detail).  Otherwise I couldn't spot a single difference based on what SDG showed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 10:24:58 am by GnomeZA »

Offline erniarrow

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2023, 04:03:41 pm »
Is it just about software limitations? Hmm... Interesting.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2023, 04:34:40 pm »
Is it just about software limitations? Hmm... Interesting.
Well keep in mind that they advertise a feature-set.  There is nothing preventing them from simplifying the hardware on the T420.  But for now, or at least the unit I got, the hardware is identical.  All the solder masks show "T420D" typically with "v1.0" or similar.

Offline erniarrow

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2023, 05:20:23 pm »
Do you have plans to purchase a soldering stand (my assumption is a left-sided soldering stand) and a different soldering iron handle, then use them simultaneously with another type of soldering iron to ensure this? I really want to do it, but unfortunately, my finances are limited at the moment.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2023, 10:52:32 am »
Do you have plans to purchase a soldering stand (my assumption is a left-sided soldering stand) and a different soldering iron handle, then use them simultaneously with another type of soldering iron to ensure this? I really want to do it, but unfortunately, my finances are limited at the moment.

My plan is to use T245 and T115.  I don't really see the point in T210 because I either want to solder really small SMD parts and for everything else I've been doing great with the T245.  Ofc many people could make the same argument for T210 and T115 but the T210 is a bit more power limited. (but I digress)

I ordered the T420 with a T115 handle.
I also ordered a genuine JBC T115 and T245 handle, so I'll be using those two.
I did the same conversion with my Aixun T3A which is using a genuine T245 handle, and the quality of the latest Aixun handles are a lot better, but I want the "genuine" JBC experience without JBC prices and I'm doing that using the genuine hand piece and tips :-//

I still have a Aixun T245 handle (from T3A), changed the connector and tested it on the T420.  The problem I'm having is, it seem you have to use the stand.  If you connect it via the stand, it works just fine.  If you connect it via the station directly you can't turn on the iron.  It is detected just fine but it is stuck in sleep mode.  And before you tell me I connected it wrong, or it is the wrong handle or or or.  I tested this in all possible configurations. T115 connected directly and via stand. T245 direct and via stand.  Only one at a time, more than one at a time, etc.  The results are identical no matter the configuration.  I could no doubt make something that connects between the station and the back of the unit to allow it to turn on without a stand but what I wanted was the T115 hanging down using those suspension hanger things and turning on and off if I take it off.

TL;DR: Yes I ordered an additional cradle so I can use T245 and T115.  When I have time I want to use a single stand with both T245 and T115 with T115 hanging and T245 in the cradle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 10:57:39 am by GnomeZA »

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2023, 11:43:09 am »
Pictures of the T420(D) stand.  I added the blue cable tie.  The slightly molten insulation on the yellow/green wire is my mistake, I reflowed a bunch of the joints on this thing taking it apart and that one wire got too hot.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 06:07:30 pm by GnomeZA »

The following users thanked this post: Swake

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2023, 11:45:33 am »
More pictures of the T420(D) stand.  The first picture was before I cleaned it.  The PCB after cleaning off the flux had some bits of copper showing which I touched up with nail polish (last pic).

With both the T245 and T115 hand-pieces, all metal parts are at earth potential.  Including the outside of the cartridges.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 11:52:23 am by GnomeZA »

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2023, 12:27:10 pm »
T115 hand piece pictures
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 06:10:04 pm by GnomeZA »

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2023, 12:42:30 pm »
T245 hand piece is 100% identical, wiring wise, to the JBC original hand piece.  I don't want to post someone else' pictures here without permission but google "T245 pinout" and you'll see it matches 100%.

This means you can use Aixun/JBC T245 hand pieces interchangeable between Aixun T420(D) and JBC stations

there is a resistor inside the handle on both the 245

Unfortunately, original JBC handles are not directly compatible with Aixun T420D.

Do you guys actually have this station?

I can't see that they would have changed this, there is no V1/V2 for T420D and the pin-out matches the standard JBC and the connector is the same.
At least for T245.
T115 for sure is different it has a different connector.
I don't have a T210 to test.

If you do have the station could you take a picture of your T245 hand-piece with the cover removed, where you had this resistor?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 05:58:09 pm by GnomeZA »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Pooya

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2024, 10:27:24 am »
Another T420D stand PCB exists which is used with the T210.
Cross posting with permission from @breeze1113

So here are some pictures and cable color pinout to the soldering station and the pinout from the base to hand piece. Note: the black and the blue are shorted by the pcb. I don't know why t is so different the pcbs of the right and the left base. Maybe it is made to not connect for example 2 245 hand pieces( just an Idea). Maybe it could be helful for someone. At this moment I can only connect the t245 hand piece to the left side base and the 210 to the right one.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2024, 06:46:21 pm »

Based on this I also tested the T420.
Both AC/DC are at 0 volts when I measure to ground (measured with Keithley 2000 at fast speed, just in case).
But I was basically measuring 0.00<noise bits>mV.

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2024, 12:19:47 pm »
Yes, the T420D doesn't seem to have any of the issues seen with the other units with tip voltage or strange behaviour on boards referenced to mains earth
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2024, 10:38:19 am »
I ordered a T420 from an Aliexpress seller and realised the T420 IS NOT the same as the T420D

(Attachment Link)
source

And this isn't just wording or mistranslation; there is a different firmware

(Attachment Link)

I should call out that based on that press release from Aixun you need to choose carefully, because some people are throwing out info like the T420 is a "gentle" path to T420D.  That does not appear to be the case.

They only appear to release partial firmwares on their Github, so I doubt you can just cross-flash; hardware not withstanding, would be interested to hear if anyone has attempted this cross flash.  Since the full firmware is not available and the microprocessor is read protected I'm not going to risk throwing $200 in the water.

Hardware wise my T420 has T420D hardware, identical to SDGs.  I got some black painted philips screws instead of stainless allen key nuts holding things in place (yes, I pay attention to that level of detail).  Otherwise I couldn't spot a single difference based on what SDG showed.

Just found out about the t420 that it is indeed upgradeable to dual channel.

" Support T245/T210/T115 three handles, standard package with T210 cradle, support upgrading to two cradles with two channels work together"

I think what you found out was about t410 series. I am going to order t420 and try out

Offline mebel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2024, 06:41:53 pm »
We are waiting for the feedback.

T420 and 2 handles at the same time.

The film is in russian but one can turn english subtitles.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 06:58:57 pm by mebel »

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2024, 08:12:50 pm »

" Support T245/T210/T115 three handles, standard package with T210 cradle, support upgrading to two cradles with two channels work together"

I think what you found out was about t410 series. I am going to order t420 and try out
Link?

Their official documentation says it is not the same.

Did you miss the part where I literally posted a screenshot of their firmware page?
Or their FAQ saying that they are not the same? (https://web.archive.org/web/20231229095732/https://www.aixuntech.com/newsinfo/Aixun%20T420D%20VS%20T420%20Soldering%20Station/)

At present they seem to ship out the T420D with single cradle, but the units are officially not the same.
They could decide to change that in the future.

We are waiting for the feedback.

T420 and 2 handles at the same time.

The film is in russian but one can turn english subtitles.

He didn't show the firmware, but it is very likely he got the T420D with a single cradle.
If you get the T420 firmware you'd be screwed.
Since the T3A all Aixun stations ship with the microprocessor read protected.
So there is no way at present to cross flash even if you have the exact same hardware with the other firmware.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 08:17:17 pm by GnomeZA »

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2024, 08:17:11 pm »

Link?

Their official documentation says it is not the same.

Did you miss the part where I literally posted a screenshot of their firmware page?
Or their FAQ saying that they are not the same? (https://web.archive.org/web/20231229095732/https://www.aixuntech.com/newsinfo/Aixun%20T420D%20VS%20T420%20Soldering%20Station/)

At present they seem to ship out the T420D with single cradle, but the units are officially not the same.
So they could decide to change that in the future.

No, I didn't miss this, it was actually the reason why I double checked.. I don't know why they write that, but watch the vid above which @mebel shared.

The info is on their homepage under products -> soldering stations -> page 2 -> t420

https://www.aixuntech.com/product/t420-smart-soldering-station-kit-for-bga-rework/

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2024, 08:21:18 pm »

He didn't show the firmware, but it is very likely he got the T420D with a single cradle.
If you get the T420 firmware you'd be screwed.
Since the T3A all Aixun stations ship with the microprocessor read protected.
So there is no way at present to cross flash even if you have the exact same hardware with the other firmware.

Look at the packaging, it clearly says T420.. I don't know why you are insisting on that it wouldn't work, but w/e..
I'll wait till monday and then place my order since the company I want to buy it from wouldn't ship on weekends anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf