Author Topic: Any opinions on the Aixun T420D?  (Read 35262 times)

Astray, mebel and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
Re: Any opinions on the Aixun T420D?
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2024, 08:32:23 pm »
Look at the packaging, it clearly says T420.. I don't know why you are insisting on that it wouldn't work, but w/e..

I'm saying it could or could not work, they could be selling T420Ds as T420 right now.
But they can change that.
Because I'm reading the fine print and calling out the fact that hopes and dreams may work, but according to the fine print, it may not.
There is also a different firmware version available online for the T420 which was released recently.
And I found no way to switch between the T420D <-> T420 firmware.
So when those come into stock, it could be that some future reader sees your insistence that they are the same, and in fact not get what they thought they would get.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 08:41:45 pm by GnomeZA »

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2024, 08:36:09 pm »
Look at the packaging, it clearly says T420.. I don't know why you are insisting on that it wouldn't work, but w/e..

I'm saying it could or could not work, they could be selling T420Ds as T420 right now.
But they can change that.
Because I'm reading the fine print and calling out the fact that hopes and dreams may work, but according to the fine print, it may not.
There is also a different firmware version available online for the T420 which was released recently.
So when those come into stock, it could be that some future reading sees your instance that they are the same and in fact not get what they thought they would get.

(Attachment Link)

True, they might have changed just to place the T420D better and at a better price point.. but the video of the russian guy is about 3 months old, soo my hopes are up.
Just saw the T400 btw, they announced it recently. Seems really interesting, but I assume it will be much more expensive than the T420..

I think I'm gonna wait for it to be released or at least tested by Steve or someone..

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2024, 08:47:30 pm »
True, they might have changed just to place the T420D better and at a better price point.. but the video of the russian guy is about 3 months old, soo my hopes are up.

The T420 firmware is very new, so it is more likely you'll get the T420D the sooner you order rather than later.
I ordered T420 in December and got a box that said T420D and T420D station with a cradle missing from the box.

Just saw the T400 btw, they announced it recently. Seems really interesting, but I assume it will be much more expensive than the T420..
I'm very sure it'll be more expensive.
It looks interesting, but nothing there is what I'm interested in at present.

I wish they could bring and alternative to the JBC desolder gun.
Basically a clone of their pump; the JBC desolder gun uses the same cartridge as a T245 apparently.
The other feature that would be great is to support the JBC tweezers.

There is a video, quite old now, with MarcoReps where he confirmed the JBC tweezers are just T245 with two channels.
So in theory a T420D could already power a JBC tweezer if you get created with wiring.

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2024, 07:00:21 am »

The T420 firmware is very new, so it is more likely you'll get the T420D the sooner you order rather than later.
I ordered T420 in December and got a box that said T420D and T420D station with a cradle missing from the box.

I asked the seller I wanted to buy from, apparently they are an authorized reseller.
They said, the t420 can be equipped with two handles/docks, but only one can be used simultaneously (I assume it's coded in the firmware).

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2024, 09:43:14 pm »
I asked the seller I wanted to buy from, apparently they are an authorized reseller.
They said, the t420 can be equipped with two handles/docks, but only one can be used simultaneously (I assume it's coded in the firmware).

The thing is, they could make a whole bunch of changes to it actually.  Since the transformer will only be half as loaded now.  So I think until we get an official "T420" (with the T420 firmware); you should assume you could either get a T420D or T420D with T420 firmware or a T420 with totally different internals, fewer transformer taps and so on.  I mean they are trying to save pennies on these things.  So no limits to what they can leave out to accomplish that.

Online mebel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2024, 05:04:02 am »
Please stick to facts and not just assumptions.

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2024, 05:42:42 pm »
T420 and 2 handles at the same time.

Please stick to facts and not just assumptions.

:palm:  :clap:

You have absolutely 0 authority on this forum and more importantly the whole point is to have open discussions, if people want to be informed.
Shutting down a discussion because it doesn't fit your narrative is fascist, maybe you should find a place where you'll be able to police what people can or can't talk about?

Pointing out the disconnect between what you assume you are getting and what the product facts STATE you are getting means YOU are making assumptions and the hardware.
You are assuming you are getting a T420D, when the specifications, new firmware releases and now resellers are saying that will no longer be the case.
Nowhere did they say "hey we are sending you a T420D hardware wise and it will be T420 firmware".
You made that assumption.

Next you'll link me to your Russian video again, and I'll say the same thing I've said before.
The firmware releases for T420 is new, it is not unusual for companies to send out a better product while working to release a lower cost variant of product.

Online mebel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2024, 05:04:13 am »
your narrative is fascist

:phew:

People want to read about facts not your speculations or wisdoms from glass ball.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 05:48:57 pm by mebel »

Offline Okto47

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2024, 05:06:59 am »
Bought a 420 two weeks ago , was in a 420 package but system says it’s a 420D
V1.21 produced 2023-11-20

But yes if there came a new 420 firmware it sounds like they plan to change that.
Luckily I’m not affected : )
Haven’t knowed that otherwise I had ordered a 420D. Doesn’t want two stands as I use one stand with T245 and T115 handle , the T115 hanging on the rod with T115 bracket .

Anyone knows if there is a firmware version which shows real temp drop when starting  soldering ? Bullsh** to always show adjusted temp at that graph.

And just if someone interested , from my tests the Aixun Handles and Wires have no ESD additives/ surface / threatment. The ESD Meter goes high after rubbing and the ESD surface meter shows nothing too. (Wrapped highly conductive foil with conductive glue around the wire at two locations and placed the surface sensors on the stand away flat end of it).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 05:23:27 am by Okto47 »

The following users thanked this post: mebel

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2024, 05:20:10 am »
Bought a 420 two weeks ago , was in a 420 package but system says it’s a 420D
V1.21 produced 2023-11-20

But yes if there came a new 420 firmware it sounds like they plan to change that.
Luckily I’m not affected : )
Haven’t knowed that otherwise I had ordered a 420D. Doesn’t want two stands as I use one stand with T245 and T115 handle , the T115 hanging on the separate ordered rod with T115 bracket beside of the stand . Tool change is for booth. Main seating hole & that one at the rod are separated to each channel.

Anyone knows if there is a firmware version which shows real temp drop when starting  soldering ? Doesn’t like that it shows always the adjusted temp instead of real drop , makes the graph useless but maybe when they showed it they got too many questions why there is such a big temp drop even if usual with low mass cartridges.

So did I get that right? You CAN use both handles (T245 and T115) simultaneously? They heat both up at the same time?

Offline Okto47

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2024, 05:26:14 am »
Yes at my station I could.
At menu it shows it’s a 420D even if I bought a 420 in a 420 package.

But maybe  they gonna change that and new 420 then can’t use booth channels at same time??
Usability then depends on how the switch function between handles is realized I thought.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 05:55:04 am by Okto47 »

Offline ResHacker

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2024, 07:39:23 am »
Hi all, also yesterday pulled the trigger on T420 with one handle as I believe it's the best value for the buck for such station. Will post later if it is the "D" version or not but I don't really need it at the moment as I'm only hobbyist who loves to have quality gear  ;D

Anyone knows if there is a firmware version which shows real temp drop when starting  soldering ? Bullsh** to always show adjusted temp at that graph.

Quite afraid of this shitty behavior which I also saw in videos on newer FWs on T3A, so is it really the case among all of the FWs? If you cool it down on a sponge, it remains still the same? Thx for the info..
Aixun T420 single with T245 handle, KSGER STM32 with T12 handle, ZD-8915, Atten ST-862D, Rigol DHO804 modified to 200MHz, 50Mpts

The following users thanked this post: hasbihal

Offline GnomeZA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2024, 12:53:01 pm »
Quite afraid of this shitty behavior which I also saw in videos on newer FWs on T3A, so is it really the case among all of the FWs? If you cool it down on a sponge, it remains still the same? Thx for the info..
I'm running the latest firmware and have a Hakko tip temperature measurement thingy.
I've tested with a T245 and T115 and both behaved correctly.
I am using genuine T245 & T115 tips and also using the original JBC handles for both.
Doubt the handles would make a difference, but the tips could definitely make a difference

The following users thanked this post: ResHacker

Offline ResHacker

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2024, 12:39:57 pm »
Thx for the info, will inform how about mine when it arrives..

I agree the handle should not have big impact on the temp measurement as it's basically a copy of the JBC. Regarding the tip itself, yes, but even for the non-original one there is thermal sensing element, so while of course it can read wrong numbers, it should be noticeable when you cool id quickly down (ie in the wet sponge).
I have seen some videos with T3A featuring the latest FW (think it was 1.34) showing still the same set temperature whatever happened. Would be sad to see it also on T420.
Aixun T420 single with T245 handle, KSGER STM32 with T12 handle, ZD-8915, Atten ST-862D, Rigol DHO804 modified to 200MHz, 50Mpts

Offline Okto47

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2024, 01:36:10 pm »
Would be sad to see it also on T420.

Unfortunately it is , at least with the firmware my station came.
Would be interesting if there is a firmware which shows real temp and if a downgrade is possible.

At 350°C , touching a big copper piece with 5mm chisel until even became solid at top side of chisel , station still shows 350°C .
Even then it uses just a few percent of power , thought because of heater diameter , but that’s ok as it is not a 200W tip .

And is it ok that if starting the station with a clone tip it always ask which handpiece it is , but not with JBC or Aixun tips.
If someone interested, the <5$ clones often have stupid shapes , the 9-14$ mostly ok but need 20-50% longer for heating a very large area  as JBC ones (50% only at very long tip). Still ok for private and not often used tips . But Few clones died very fast too.

About JBC/aixun handles , shouldn’t affect temp readings anyhow and JBC has ESD safe design too , if I remember correctly (times ago) there is a connection between silicone wire and GND inside the connector. Not shure how important that really is but Aixun has nothing there (measured with ESD field & surface meter which I borrowed).
 Saw a connector diagram when searching pinout where it has XGD10603 diodes too but not shure about that.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 01:39:19 pm by Okto47 »

Offline Okto47

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2024, 03:13:13 pm »
Anyone tried to make a C470 tip running with it?
Doesn’t know if the thermocouple voltage is similar enough to C425 . Thought station has enough power , maybe even could connect booth windings in series to get the original C470 voltage.

What works nicely is a DIY tweezer with a C245 at each channel . Used a small PCB which could hold a C245 tip for that , made to build an  handle but easy to mount on a large tweezer.

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2024, 04:55:58 pm »
I bought one aswell two weeks ago and received my package a few days ago. Paid around 170€ shipped including taxes..
Menu says T420D, I ordered a second cradle to confirm that I can use both handles at the same time..

The thing is, that my unit does a buzzing sound.. I tried with an Aixun T210 handle and a geniune JBC T245 handle. On the T210 the sound is more prominent. And it doesn't matter which side I plug the cradle in, the buzzing still occurs.
I assume it comes from the toroidal transformer. The seller apparently contacted Aixun and replied to me, that it is "normal" that the unit does that sound.

Still its annoying as fuck.. and I'm thinking about sending it back.
Does anyone have the same issue?

Offline Okto47

• Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2024, 09:30:43 pm »
Does anyone have the same issue?

Yes the Trafo is not completely silent , if you mean the typical trafo buzzing which goes up down exactly same as energy meter at display.

If ionly that and not really loud it’s normal for that stations trafo type , how it works , that power
There are different trafo types and ways to build to make it way more silent but that’s nothing expectable from a china clone .

Clones with DC (switching power supply ) could be very quiet but have their own problems with cartridges made for AC.
Really expensive trafo systems are way quieter too but still hearable. My pace is not really one of the silent ones and is about ⅓ as loud.
<40W trafo systems could be nearly unhearable (but what I mean as nearly unhearable could be too loud for someone else).

The trafo and the 2CH was the reason for me to buy that one , but I have known before it’s not  silent , but my fume exhaust ventilation is not really silent too - a old GPU fan with a filter mounted on backside which turns on at full speed if I take any handle out of it’s cradle (and if soldering often you should have one too).

But could be a fault too if really loud, itself like unsymmetrical windings , broken  or electronic fault …. Or even from your side ; bad energy with a lot of noise , unsymmetrical AC , bad ground , voltage, frequency ….  (more unlikely in a private household that that  from other devices , but  bad energy supplier or bad installations ….). Or it stays at a non stable easy vibrating surface.
Or simply mechanically , maybe from shipping , like loose  screws , direct contact to plastic housing (instead of that thin rubber). Station has potential to make it quieter too through better damping , decoupling , weight , better housing/case . As it is it’s a thin lightweight plastic case with thin rubber as decoupling without damping and thin rubber as feets too.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 09:34:18 pm by Okto47 »

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2024, 10:03:08 pm »
Thank you for the detailed reply. I can safely say that there is no mechanical damage on the unit.

It might be that I am just very spoiled with silence and I've not used it in my "lab envoirement" yet. If other units have the same issue, then there is no point trying to swap my unit out and try other units..
Here is a video about that: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Cui7suIONVU

Also; I tested a geniune JBC cartridge, but the displayed temp was higher than the measured temp (around 30°K difference). Did anyone else check and can compare?

Plus, I found some "hidden" menu. No clue what that could mean, but here they are..

Offline hanzz

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2024, 07:56:44 pm »
Plus, I found some "hidden" menu. No clue what that could mean, but here they are..

how did you get there?

Offline litris

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2024, 08:18:38 am »
Hi, I always liked the T3A station and its quick tip change plus fast heat up time but I have already read a lot of the faults that the T320 from AiXun has also inherited.

That's why I've decided on a T420 is for my hobby and I don't need two handles although in the future I might add one more for smd specific use with smaller tips.

But today I saw the T420 showing in the specs 200W as the T420D, T3A even the T320 are 200W, but in the T420 manual it shows 100W 🤷🏻‍♂️.

How can it be that all lower model supplies have 200W even the T420D but the T420 shows in the manual 100W.

I would like to be sure that I will have the same power as the previous stations, before I buy it.

Do you know if the T420 is just as powerful 200W as all your models?

Thanks.
Edit:
I have always suffered with multiview (multilayer) pads plus large ground points or on-board transformers both with older JBCs and with the Yihua 937D that I have been using for over 15 years, so I worry about power so I don't suffer with soldering like that again.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 09:39:43 am by litris »

Offline litris

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2024, 10:00:06 am »
Thank you for the detailed reply. I can safely say that there is no mechanical damage on the unit.

It might be that I am just very spoiled with silence and I've not used it in my "lab envoirement" yet. If other units have the same issue, then there is no point trying to swap my unit out and try other units..

Also; I tested a geniune JBC cartridge, but the displayed temp was higher than the measured temp (around 30°K difference). Did anyone else check and can compare?

I built myself last year a power supply and mount a transformer almost equal to the T420D station two independent windings one of 15v 100w and another of 180w 24v and without load when I turn it on you do not hear anything but if you put your ear to the box you hear the hum, I expected noise is normal but use some rubber bands at the bottom with the screw through the center and another above is a huge washer that already brought but thick rubber that prevents vibration.

I haven't done a test with load but I'm sure the hum will increase (if I can, I'll do it and I'll let you know).

The source I built it because now everything is sold are switched sources and it is horrible the electrical noise that they put to test the projects that is why I ended up building one.

I had an older fixed one for a station and the hum was huge!

Anyway others who have it can confirm it.

In the video the cric cric that is not from the source I don't know what it will be, the nnnmn that is.

If you mean the one that sounds like a cricket, that's not it, it's something else, the one from the transformer is constant.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 10:06:27 am by litris »

Offline hasbihal

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2024, 03:22:43 pm »
Hi, I always liked the T3A station and its quick tip change plus fast heat up time but I have already read a lot of the faults that the T320 from AiXun has also inherited.

That's why I've decided on a T420 is for my hobby and I don't need two handles although in the future I might add one more for smd specific use with smaller tips.

But today I saw the T420 showing in the specs 200W as the T420D, T3A even the T320 are 200W, but in the T420 manual it shows 100W 🤷🏻‍♂️.

How can it be that all lower model supplies have 200W even the T420D but the T420 shows in the manual 100W.

I would like to be sure that I will have the same power as the previous stations, before I buy it.

Do you know if the T420 is just as powerful 200W as all your models?

Thanks.
Edit:
I have always suffered with multiview (multilayer) pads plus large ground points or on-board transformers both with older JBCs and with the Yihua 937D that I have been using for over 15 years, so I worry about power so I don't suffer with soldering like that again.

I've bought one from Tempered store (https://aliexpress.com/item/1005006458278878.html) and talked to the seller before purchasing. They told me T420 is upgradable to two handles and both handles work at the same time (basically T420D). Thats why I bought from them.
After receiving my unit I powered it on and the menu said T420D, after a teardown, on every PCB it says T420D.

But I've also copntacted an italian seller (apparently certified by aixun) and he told me, that the T420 can be upgraded to two handles, but they apparently don't work simultaneously (using right handle -> if you pick up left handle it heats up, but right handle not)..

Eventhough most things I've read and seen so far is, that T420 is basically T420d with one cradle missing, it still might be that Aixun has changed that a few months ago (my unit was from 10.2023), so the italian seller might be right.

I built myself last year a power supply and mount a transformer almost equal to the T420D station two independent windings one of 15v 100w and another of 180w 24v and without load when I turn it on you do not hear anything but if you put your ear to the box you hear the hum, I expected noise is normal but use some rubber bands at the bottom with the screw through the center and another above is a huge washer that already brought but thick rubber that prevents vibration.

I haven't done a test with load but I'm sure the hum will increase (if I can, I'll do it and I'll let you know).

The source I built it because now everything is sold are switched sources and it is horrible the electrical noise that they put to test the projects that is why I ended up building one.

I had an older fixed one for a station and the hum was huge!

Anyway others who have it can confirm it.

In the video the cric cric that is not from the source I don't know what it will be, the nnnmn that is.

If you mean the one that sounds like a cricket, that's not it, it's something else, the one from the transformer is constant.

Well, I've used the station a bit by now, and I placed it further than the cradles. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.. still thank you for the info.

Offline litris

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2024, 04:24:08 pm »
I've bought one from Tempered store (https://aliexpress.com/item/1005006458278878.html) and talked to the seller before purchasing. They told me T420 is upgradable to two handles and both handles work at the same time (basically T420D). Thats why I bought from them.
After receiving my unit I powered it on and the menu said T420D, after a teardown, on every PCB it says T420D.

Use the link you sent me and there is a screenshot that says 120w in the description if so I don't like it.

I have also thought that they are fake units.

Why on the official website they show a video of the T420 model using both handles at the same time.

This I don't need but I do want a higher wattage unit than the lower versions.

It doesn't make sense that an inferior one would have the ability to deliver more than a newer, more powerful version.

Thanks for the info and the link.

One question, in the EU zone do I have to pay customs fees because it exceeds 150€?

Thanks again.

Edit:
It appears that they ship a 100W T410 as a T420.

I leave official screenshots from the Aixun website.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 04:43:31 pm by litris »

Offline eutectique

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2024, 05:32:56 pm »
My interpretation of this marketing material is following:

• 200W high-power transformer -- this is literally the power rating of the transformer. Nothing is said how much power is delivered to the tip(s).
  • 400W peak power -- two cold high-power tips (C245966) could potentially draw 400W from a power supply with a 200W transformer, during 2-seconds of warm-up.
  • 100W peak power -- note that the leaflet mentions T210 handle. A C210 tip is likely to deliver up to 50W continuously.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf