Author Topic: Cooling and drying compressed air, condenser or evaporator ?  (Read 962 times)

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Cooling and drying compressed air, condenser or evaporator ?
« on: October 20, 2020, 07:18:56 am »
Just bought my self cheap 1 HP oil less air compressor, works fine. Its just I live in a very humid place, sometimes the air humidity can reached up to >90% with average of 70-80%. After running just for 3 days just for one or two hours each, when draining the tank, the water accumulated was almost a glass.  :scared:

I've been reading, watching at the net, all those air drying techniques, from running copper pipes on the wall on the tank output, up to industrial grade air dryer, and all I want is just to reduce as much as possible the water relatively cheaply. Not overly ambitious, even it can reduce <50% , I will be happy.

Thinking of using car's air condition evaporator or condenser unit + a blowing fan, as the sizes close to what I want, and to cool down the hot air from the compressor outlet, and add a cheap water trap BEFORE getting into the tank. The current setup already has the water trap on the tank output.

Locally the evaporator or condenser are relatively cheap, maybe just 20 to 30 bucks, the ones with aluminium pipes though, not copper as they're so expensive.

Question is, which is more suitable to use ? Evaporator ? As it has bigger pipes internally, compared to condenser, which has many smaller pipes which I worry the contaminants will eventually clog it.

Or any idea or suggestion ? Or maybe share your experiences ?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:00:17 am by BravoV »

Offline ace1903

• Regular Contributor
Re: Cooling and drying compressed air, condenser or evaporator ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 11:55:35 am »
It is not clear what you want to achieve. Water is in the air and will be also in the compressed air.
In the thank compressed air cools and water goes to liquid state and flows to the bottom of the thank.
If you add coil for cooling, water will condense in the coil and it will be difficult to remove from there.
In the industrial systems heat exchanger with refrigerant is used and water intensively is condensed and frozen.
On regular intervals heat exchanger is heated and water with valves is drained out.
Maybe you can think something similar with Peltier elements and arduino but proper sizing will be difficult.

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Cooling and drying compressed air, condenser or evaporator ?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 12:07:44 pm »
It is not clear what you want to achieve.

Well, I will let you to get the idea from these videos.

Of course these compressors are way-way bigger than mine, and regarding the condenser or evaporator that I plan to, that is from the car's aircon, is usually smaller compared to ones in the videos.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf