Author Topic: FTDI driver kills fake FTDI FT232??  (Read 953901 times)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: FTDI driver kills fake FTDI FT232??
« Reply #700 on: October 25, 2014, 06:40:54 pm »
In case anyone is confused by this, you do not have to turn off Windows Update in Windows 7 just to block device driver downloads. For some reason known only to Microsoft this setting is not found in the Windows Update settings. It's located in:

Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings

My personal position is that you're better off not letting Windows update anything but itself, and even then do not let it do it automatically. If you're really concerned about things getting screwed up, only download security updates unless you have a specific problem.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #701 on: October 25, 2014, 06:43:58 pm »
My personal position is that you're better off not letting Windows update anything but itself, and even then do not let it do it automatically. If you're really concerned about things getting screwed up, only download security updates unless you have a specific problem.

reminds me of someone who called me over to fix his computer because it had a virus, he was running no antivirus and had stopped windows from updating as he thought it made things worse. That was his business computer he totally screwed up with all of his records. :-DD

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #702 on: October 25, 2014, 06:49:25 pm »
We can and do because we use franchised distributors, source all components ourselves and outsource build-only to a trusted, reliable assembler. Every manufacturer could do the same (or in-house build) but if you want to save cost by outsourcing to China, then yes, forget it. It is cost saving and profit greed that allows counterfeiting.
In your naive world there would be no counterfeit money either  :palm:

So you go into a shop with a counterfeit bill and find they have just installed a UV scanner which detects your counterfeit. They won't accept your bill and write "COUNTERFEIT" on it before giving it back so no one else will accept it either.

You then tweet to anyone that will listen that the bastards in this shop just BRICKED my bill. They illegally damaged my property. I am never going to shop there again. I want to start a class action law suit against this shop. It is not my fault I didn't know the bill was counterfeit. Maybe we could get together and make some better counterfeits that the shop can't detect. The shop always accepted my counterfeit bills before, they didn't ask for my permission before installing this new UV scanner, I didn't want them to it is completely unfair.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:52:32 pm by Rufus »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #703 on: October 25, 2014, 07:02:22 pm »
So you go into a shop with a counterfeit bill and find they have just installed a UV scanner which detects your counterfeit. They won't accept your bill and write "COUNTERFEIT" on it before giving it back so no one else will accept it either.

You then tweet to anyone that will listen that the bastards in this shop just BRICKED my bill. They illegally damaged my property. I am never going to shop there again. I want to start a class action law suit against this shop. It is not my fault I didn't know the bill was counterfeit. Maybe we could get together and make some better counterfeits that the shop can't detect. The shop always accepted my counterfeit bills before, they didn't ask for my permission before installing this new UV scanner, I didn't want them to it is completely unfair.

Quite different, fake money is fake money, these chips are functioning chips that just happen to hijack the FDTI driver, if they had their own driver they would not be deemed as fakes. It's a bit like I try to use a scottish paper money note in england and it gets refused because the idiot behind the counter has decided it's not legal tender.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #704 on: October 25, 2014, 07:04:20 pm »
We can and do because we use franchised distributors, source all components ourselves and outsource build-only to a trusted, reliable assembler. Every manufacturer could do the same (or in-house build) but if you want to save cost by outsourcing to China, then yes, forget it. It is cost saving and profit greed that allows counterfeiting.

I see your point. Vigilantly justice is the way to go. If you tires don't have enough thread other citizens should slash them.

Offline nctnicoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #705 on: October 25, 2014, 07:08:49 pm »
So you go into a shop with a counterfeit bill and find they have just installed a UV scanner which detects your counterfeit.
As usual in this thread you are missing the point completely and that is that there is always a chance you get counterfeit money and even pay with it. Statistically the chance you and me have used counterfeit money isn't zero. Or do you carry a UV scanner around to check all the bills you get from a shop? You know it's easy for a cashier to bring counterfeit money to the store and exchange it for real money and handing out the counterfeit money as change without anyone knowing.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MicroBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #706 on: October 25, 2014, 07:10:53 pm »

The bills have a lot of visible and invisible (to human eye) security measures to help detecting a real from a fake one. FTDI never gave us a single way for us to detect a counterfeit chip before their driver break them. If we stick to your bill example, man, you just choose a pretty bad example. Why? Because i think almost 90% of the bill manufacturing cost is dedicated to security materials and processes. Can you say the same about FTDI chips manufacturing costs?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #707 on: October 25, 2014, 07:13:30 pm »
FTDI are trying to protect and increase their revenue streams on a particular run of the mill low value part - man they must be in trouble or being very petty. I wouldn't touch the rest of their product range with any length barge pole.

Offline MicroBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #708 on: October 25, 2014, 07:17:52 pm »
FTDI are trying to protect and increase their revenue streams on a particular run of the mill low value part - man they must be in trouble or being very petty. I wouldn't touch the rest of their product range with any length barge pole.

I agree. I have right here more than a hundred FT232RL chips, all from my (no more)"trusted" local supplier, and they are all counterfeits. I pay them 9.34 USD dollars + taxes each one (im not in the first world as you can seeE) I'm so pissed off right now, im the one paying for them and at the same time (who would imagine?) being attacked from both sides: counterfeiters and FTDI!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:20:02 pm by MicroBoy »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #709 on: October 25, 2014, 07:20:37 pm »
Didn't realize they cost that much, if they are marked as FTDI or you biught them as FTDI branded then you have every ounce on your side to return the things for a refund. It's up to your supplier to make sure they source genuine parts. I generally start with small quantities and if there are no problems order in bigger batches. Yes there are a few suppliers i have stopped using.

Offline MicroBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #710 on: October 25, 2014, 07:25:18 pm »
Didn't realize they cost that much, if they are marked as FTDI or you biught them as FTDI branded then you have every ounce on your side to return the things for a refund. It's up to your supplier to make sure they source genuine parts. I generally start with small quantities and if there are no problems order in bigger batches. Yes there are a few suppliers i have stopped using.

They don't. But here i have only one official FTDI distributor (Arrow). I've called them in the past and they told me that they didn't have any in stock, and that the only way they could bring them was if i bought them an entire 2k piece REEL.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #711 on: October 25, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »
As usual in this thread you are missing the point completely

Your point being that the solution to the problem of counterfeit anything is to never question them and so avoid getting an answer you didn't want to hear.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #712 on: October 25, 2014, 07:28:03 pm »
Yeah, that's why I offered that information. I'd read a few posts where it sounded like people had turned off Windows Update just to avoid getting bad drivers. It's not a good idea to turn of Windows Update completely, do keep a close eye on it though.

In case anyone is confused by this, you do not have to turn off Windows Update in Windows 7 just to block device driver downloads. For some reason known only to Microsoft this setting is not found in the Windows Update settings. It's located in:

Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings

reminds me of someone who called me over to fix his computer because it had a virus, he was running no antivirus and had stopped windows from updating as he thought it made things worse. That was his business computer he totally screwed up with all of his records. :-DD
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:30:10 pm by rdl »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #713 on: October 25, 2014, 07:29:39 pm »

They don't. But here i have only one official FTDI distributor (Arrow). I've called them in the past and they told me that they didn't have any in stock, and that the only way they could bring them was if i bought them an entire 2k piece REEL.

Yea they are £4 or less in the UK and to think we paid a whole 16+ quid for one in a cable....... You have every right to throw them back at arrow, they should know better and at that price in that quantity they should come in gold foil packaging

Offline MicroBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #714 on: October 25, 2014, 07:39:49 pm »

Yea they are £4 or less in the UK and to think we paid a whole 16+ quid for one in a cable....... You have every right to throw them back at arrow, they should know better and at that price in that quantity they should come in gold foil packaging

I think you didn't understand my previous posts. I didn't bought these conterfeits in Arrow. The told me (Arrow) that even if i bought the entire 2K REEL, the delay would be between 6 to 8 weeks. I bought them in another supplier, not an official FTDI distributor.

The other day Arrow sent me an email, telling me that they could fractionate the 2K REEL, but at a price of 12 USD + taxes each chip, and with a delay of 6 to 8 weeks too.

I'm now trying to get them from Future Electronics (importations here are almost closed). But this is the begining of our Company changing to other USB to Serial converter chip and brand. We're the ones beeing damaged from both fronts, and that's not fair. And they can't tell me that i knew that they were counterfeits, because i paid them as if the whole chip were made of silicon.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:43:47 pm by MicroBoy »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #715 on: October 25, 2014, 07:46:04 pm »

I think you didn't understand my previous posts. I didn't bought these conterfeits in Arrow. The told me (Arrow) that even if i bought the entire 2K REEL, the delay would be between 6 to 8 weeks. I bought them in another supplier, not an official FTDI distributor.

The other day Arrow sent me an email, telling me that they could fractionate the 2K REEL, but at a price of 12 USD + taxes each chip, and with a delay of 6 to 8 weeks too.

I'm now trying to get them from Future Electronics (importations here are almost closed). But this is the begining of our Company changing to other USB to Serial converter chip and brand. We're the ones beeing damaged from both fronts, and that's not fair. And they can't tell me that i knew that they were counterfeits, because i paid them as if the whole chip were made of silicon.

Oh i see. well you should still return them, fakes are fakes and dud fakes as they will be are a pretty poor excuse for a cheap knock off. What is the problem with importing ? is it hard to import to your country full stop or is it suppliers that are not wanting to deal in your country ?

Offline MicroBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #716 on: October 25, 2014, 08:04:45 pm »

Oh i see. well you should still return them, fakes are fakes and dud fakes as they will be are a pretty poor excuse for a cheap knock off. What is the problem with importing ? is it hard to import to your country full stop or is it suppliers that are not wanting to deal in your country ?

It's almost impossible to import things in my country.

Offline SydB

• Contributor
« Reply #717 on: October 25, 2014, 08:56:13 pm »

And that is? Russia perhaps?

Offline MicroBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #718 on: October 25, 2014, 09:03:05 pm »

And that is? Russia perhaps?

Argentina. But what our small Company does have is a big lawyer buffett. So we'll see what will be the action curse we take.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:10:18 pm by MicroBoy »

Offline alex.forencich

• Frequent Contributor
    • Alex Forencich
« Reply #719 on: October 25, 2014, 09:15:19 pm »
big lawyer buffett.

Interesting idea.  How do they taste?
Python-based instrument control: Python IVI, Python VXI-11, Python USBTMC

Offline SydB

• Contributor
« Reply #720 on: October 25, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »
In your naive world there would be no counterfeit money either  :palm: There is money to be made so somehow somewhere there is always someone who manages to slip in counterfeit items and make a profit.
Can we stop the fake money analogy? Handing over money in the form of notes and coins in a shop carries with it no provenance; you have not thought your analogy through. Once in circulation no records are kept of its movement and there is no traceability as no provenance is expected. A respectable manufacturer does not source components from the back of a van or on ebay. It should be able to trace back its source of components to a responsible party a number of years after it has integrated them into its products and if it cannot then it should review its sourcing procedure. Anybody with ISO9001 can do this and all others should be responsible enough to do this too. If this is not standard practice then counterfeiting will hit businesses and customers and FTDI has provided an example of such.

The argument has been raised that these counterfeit chips may have been inserted by a rogue employee on a production line. I am interested to know if anyone has first hand evidence of this and what the details are. What does this employee do with the authentic chips? Surely they would get little money from them as they would have to sell them on the grey market, and might be just as well to sell the fake chips for the same price in a sell and run operation. Or are we suggesting that 'chip laundering' is rife? If so, in a big operation, end of production line checks should, as far as possible, ensure that marked chips match the components (revision codes/date codes/other markings are all possible on bigger chips) entering the production line. The employer is responsible for the actions of an employee. The manufacturer is responsible to their customers (via their vending outlets) for any counterfeit chips in their products.

So what are these criminal employees doing? Smuggling in and out a handful of chips each day? Is that really going to be the way the majority of the fakes have entered production lines? Lazy cheap outsourcing will be the main reason where a sub-contractor has consciously bought a bulk load of cheap chips to save a few bucks with no questions asked (or even known them to be counterfeit). With this FTDI issue, my guess is that we are talking about cheap goods on ebay, and incompetent, irresponsible or desperate small internet vendors and manufacturers. Microboy, you have my sympathies but you should have bought that 2k reel, given that you have not even named your other source (it must be dodgy!). A micro business often has to take the MOQ hit or take the risk. What the designers in that microbusiness should be doing is considering the availability of a part early in the design stage (as well as expected production life etc); it is as important as a component's spec when looking to make small quantities.

Naive world? I do not understand. I run a small successful electronics manufacturing business. I am not siding with anyone. I am not condoning FTDI's actions. I am not saying that counterfeit products do not exist. I am not saying that bad businesses exist. What I am saying is that they should not and if a customer finds one that is not prepared to help sort out their FTDI problem then that business should be flamed. I am also saying a manufacturer should warranty their products against containing counterfeit parts and be very careful where they source components. Interestingly, very few people (any?) in this massive thread have actually bothered to state the details of the product and vendor when they have encountered a PID0 issue.

My comment that you commented upon was pulling up someone for erroneously saying that a manufacturer cannot provide a 100% guarantee of no counterfeit goods in their products. Perhaps we are mistaking each other's interpretation of the word 'guarantee'. For me it essentially means warranty accompanying the sale of a product such that the product should work as advertised.

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #721 on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:42 pm »
To all those who would like to have FTDI sued for that:
That would be pretty difficult.
Look closely at the code snippet from marcan. (Thanks for that btw)

It's not coded like "oh we found a counterfeit device, go and let's brick it".
No, its much more clever: They write to the EEPROM in a way that is ignored by the original but that makes a fake one unusable.
So they would get away with a lawsuit. It's can't be proved that they deliberately sabotaged "compatible" devices.
The same code is executed for a genuine and a counterfeit device. It "just" happens that a counterfeit dies from it.
Sure we all know that this was the purpose. But that no lawsuit proof evidence.

Where is that smoke coming from?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #722 on: October 25, 2014, 09:53:18 pm »
I think even major distributors have been caught out ?

ISO9001 ? really where i work we have that, caugh, caugh, caugh, it does not guarantee sod all and although we get audited yearly it's not like they are trying to fail us, they just look hard enough to be able to say they are satisfied.........

The only good quality system is one that was setup because the company genuinely cares.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #723 on: October 25, 2014, 09:54:00 pm »
Look closely at the code snippet from marcan. (Thanks for that btw)

It's not coded like "oh we found a counterfeit device, go and let's brick it".
No, its much more clever: They write to the EEPROM in a way that is ignored by the original but that makes a fake one unusable.
So they would get away with a lawsuit. It's can't be proved that they deliberately sabotaged "compatible" devices.
The same code is executed for a genuine and a counterfeit device. It "just" happens that a counterfeit dies from it.
Sure we all know that this was the purpose. But that no lawsuit proof evidence.

It is obvious that there was intent to trash fake chips - the code can serve no other purpose. There is no reason for it to be there on genuine chips.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline MicroBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #724 on: October 25, 2014, 10:05:10 pm »
big lawyer buffett.

Interesting idea.  How do they taste?

Can't tell if that was a joke or a serious question. English isn't my native tongue.

Shouldn't that be as difficult as FTDI proving that my chips are counterfeits and not a different revision of their product that went wrong with this driver?

Update:

I can't believe it! I have what it seems to be an original FT245RL! It passes the FTDI new driver attack. I should frame it and put it in the wall.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:10:08 pm by MicroBoy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf