Author Topic: Inside a TPMS diagnostic tool  (Read 2256 times)

Offline StonentTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Inside a TPMS diagnostic tool
« on: March 28, 2015, 06:47:03 pm »
I had a opportunity to look inside a USB based device for talking to and diagnosing a  tire pressure monitoring sensor.

The issue was that they could read one sensor but it would refuse to read any more.

I took the opportunity to open it up and it was about 90% an arduino inside. It had an Atmega64 and an FTDI chip and not much else.

The communication works by placing against the tire near the valve stem and telling the laptop to read the sensor.

There are two antennas inside. One is a ferrite rod about 1cm in diameter about 5 or 6 cm long that is wrapped with copper wire. It strongly resembled an old AM radio antenna but thicker.  The other one looked like a 1/4 wave ISM band antenna that you might see on a Bluetooth dongle.

I suspect the ferrite rod antenna is to power the sensor and the shorter one to receive the data.

When a reading is initiated the ferrite antenna feels like it very slightly pulls on a screwdriver placed on it.

I don't recall seeing any other ICs on the board so it may have all been done through the PWM and ADC.

If I get a chance ever to look at it again I'll look under the board.

The issue ended up being the USB connection to the computer was slightly loose. I bent the USB cable connector slightly so it gripped a little more firmly and it worked fine after that.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:53:29 pm by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Inside a TPMS diagnostic tool
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:08:51 pm »
Pictures seem to be missing...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline StonentTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Inside a TPMS diagnostic tool
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:03:10 am »
Pictures seem to be missing...

Unfortunately cameras were not permitted where I was, so I had to describe it.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf