Author Topic: Mechanic 8k Sony IMX678 microscope camera worth getting for micro soldering?  (Read 28898 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline d00m178

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: pt
Thank you for your opinion!

I currently use a magnifying lamp on a swing arm at my workbench, but I'd like to replace it with a digital microscope that displays the image on a monitor. I think that setup will be much more comfortable for soldering and PCB work.

So I'm still looking for advice about these newer IMX678 camera modules and the other components needed to build a DIY microscope from AliExpress.

Also, is this the right topic to ask questions like this?
 

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9807
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
On AliExpress I found:
* a black-box no-name camera:
  https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005009061681373.html
* and the gray HAYEAR HY-6210S:
  https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005008517569852.html

If you want to solder with it, I would not be using a 30fps camera.
You don't need polarizing filter for anything other than IC identification, IMO. I guess it can be used for inspection but a quality light also works.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 

Offline d00m178

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 3
  • Country: pt
So, I assume that an IMX678 camera which only supports 4K at 6 fps, but runs at Full HD 60 fps, is not a better option for soldering and is simply overpriced for this use case.

Because of that, would it make more sense to buy the cheaper IMX415-based device instead?
 

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9807
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
To me it would make sense, I'd prioritize: latency, fps, light sensitivity. But I don't use a digital microscope for soldering.

Maant XJ03 apparently is using IMX347, that one might be good too.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 
The following users thanked this post: d00m178

Offline GuidoK

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 93
  • Country: 00
Maant XJ03 apparently is using IMX347, that one might be good too.
IMX347 is Starvis 1. IMX678 is Starvis 2 and roughly 5 years newer. I expect better contrast/low light capabilities. And the IMX347 is not 4k (it's 2712×1538 effective), the IMX678 is (3856×2180 effective).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2026, 05:50:03 pm by GuidoK »
 
The following users thanked this post: d00m178

Offline thm_w

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9807
  • Country: ca
  • Non-expert
IMX347 is Starvis 1. IMX678 is Starvis 2 and roughly 5 years newer. I expect better contrast/low light capabilities. And the IMX347 is not 4k (it's 2712×1538 effective), the IMX678 is (3856×2180 effective).

Yes I know, its 1080p60, I'd take 1080p60 over 4k30 for soldering.
If you can find IMX678 at 60fps for a reasonable price, then its obviously going to be better.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures
 

Offline AllHand

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: ru
Hello everyone.
By popular demand from the working people, here are the guts of the Bresun 4K 60 and 4K Max microscope camera.
Camera Outputs true 4K at 60 fps via HDMI.

And Uart Startup log:
Code: [Select]
System startup

Uncompress Ok!

U-Boot 2016.11 (Dec 02 2022 - 16:21:50 +0800)hi3519av100

Relocation Offset is: 1f721000
Relocating to 3ff21000, new gd at 3fe80ef0, sp at 3fe80ed0
SPI Nor:  Boot Media isn't SPI Nor
NAND:  hifmc_ip_ver_check(54): Check Flash Memory Controller v100 ...hifmc_ip_ver_check(60):  Found
SPI Nand ID Table Version 2.7
SPI Nand(cs 0) ID: 0xef 0xba 0x21 Name:"W25N01GWZEIG"
Block:128KB Page:2KB OOB:64B ECC:4bit/512
Chipsize:128 MiB
MMC:   
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   gmac0
Error: gmac0 address not set.

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x200000, size 0x600000
 6291456 bytes read: OK
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 20000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-4.19.90
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    4388040 Bytes = 4.2 MiB
   Load Address: 22008000
   Entry Point:  22008000
   Loading Kernel Image ... OK

Starting kernel ...

Jan  1 00:10:14 udevd[130]: bind failed: Address already in use


Jan  1 00:10:14 udevd[130]: error binding udev control socket


(none) login:

And a Firmware NAND dump: https://mega.nz/file/4RAHQarb#kUyyLPcsnSti-Iys67K_Fh3KK48PXdhfQXgNwJIyOyc
« Last Edit: August 14, 2026, 04:13:35 pm by AllHand »
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w, GuidoK

Offline GuidoK

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 93
  • Country: 00
Interesting to see.

this is my Maant xj2 from the inside. Pretty much the same (it also runs the same software/menu structure&features)
I don't have the means (or knowledge) to dump the firmware




this underside had some horrible chinesium flux (white residue) that couldn't be removed with alcohol, but did remove with contact cleaner.

the thing I don't like about this camera is that it only has tripod mounts on the sides, and not one on the top. It makes it awkward to mount it on a little tripod (I use it for more than just pcb repair). but that Bresun is the same in that regard.
And the graphics on it are a bit...meh, but I'm sure a bit of acetone or something could probably (dis)solve that (not that it's that important though)
But the price was good  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2026, 10:21:35 am by GuidoK »
 

Offline jackobo

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Country: ie
Hi all, folks Im as wel shop around for new camera, does anybody know where to get in China Bresun 4 k max camera? I have a friend in China but he never found this model at Taobao. From the Nanofix comparison video I did like Bresun the most: best pic quality out of the box.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2026, 07:27:04 am by jackobo »
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->