Author Topic: Side view lens attachment  (Read 1256 times)

Offline PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Side view lens attachment
« on: January 26, 2023, 05:37:05 pm »
I am thinking about a microscope side view lens (aka 3D lens) but have two road humps:

1. Don't know if it's actually useful/better - anyone used one that can give an opinion?

2. They are expensive. We are talking $1000 for some models! Looking on Aliexpress I see cheap version attached to a lens that is perhaps $100-$200 but I don't need the lens, only the attachement. Some of the Ali adverts even show the attachment removed from the lens, but nowhere can I find it on its own. Am I going to be stuck with buying the entire thing, removing the attachment and binning the lens?

The following users thanked this post: bozza

Offline spostma

• Regular Contributor
Re: Side view lens attachment
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 10:35:23 pm »
Interesting find, thank you!

I cannot find similar ones.
Wouldn't it be the easiest if you just contact the seller asking to buy the rail separately?

Of course you can make it yourself using an aluminium rails like
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004321084277.html

and first surface mirrors like
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003984473600.html

plus some DIY 3D printed blocks.

Of coarse a Barlow lens would help to achieve longer working distances,
(or even better, a very expensive telecentric lens).

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 11:08:47 pm »
Yeah I was looking at these 3D inspection lenses, they are very simply constructed, from what I can see. But the price is still high for just mirror part, without the camera lens. I had a aliexpress one saved but it was still over $150. Here is another one: https://bolioptics.com/3d-rotary-observation-lens-attachment-for-microscope-objective-360-degree-view-35-degree-angle-converter/

To me its a great idea, but only if you are specifically inspecting completed products using a digital microscope, and taking photos of the process.

If you are working on anything, I would go with a stereo microscope instead.
What is your intended use case and what equipment do you have?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 12:01:04 am »
I have a stereo microscope, which works fine (also has a video camera attached). But sometimes I think I want a side view to be able to see the side of pins rather than just the straight down top. I sometimes resort to hold the PCB off the front of the bench so I can see it side on, but obviously that's not optimal and you can't, say, resolder a poor joint like that. I figured these side view gizmos might be useful even give the stereo aspect.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 01:42:01 am »
I don't know if it would work at all with a stereo microscope, maybe with one eye.
If you have a boom or arm stand, you can tilt the microscope to a 45 degree angle, usually helps, if raising the microscope is not enough.

Or maybe figure out some kind of custom angled mirror setup, similar to what spostma is talking about, but fixed.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 11:53:56 am »
(or even better, a very expensive telecentric lens)

Perhaps that's why the attachments aren't available on their own. One of these has a video showing its operation and the mirrors are switched in and out without any (apparent) loss of focus.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 12:00:05 pm »
you can tilt the microscope to a 45 degree angle

It's not very comfortable to view with your head at the side. An advantage of these attachments is that they rotate, so you can get a side view from the other side, or the back, without moving the object or equipment.

I don't know if it would work at all with a stereo microscope

I was wondering about that (hence the original question) because all of these show a video camera attached. Can't recall seeing one with a stereo microscope. But so long as the mirrors are large enough I think it should work - the distance from object to eye would remain the same for each, so focus shouldn't be a problem.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 11:49:42 pm »
you can tilt the microscope to a 45 degree angle

It's not very comfortable to view with your head at the side. An advantage of these attachments is that they rotate, so you can get a side view from the other side, or the back, without moving the object or equipment.

Not at the side, just tilted toward you to get a larger distance between the lens and object. This will also bring the angle and location of the eyepieces to a more ergonomic one (less hunched over). But yes, isn't possible to do sides/back without moving the object around.
So with a heavier object its easier to move the mirror than the object, like this guy shows https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005005068443244.html

Probably worth playing with some small mirrors to experiment. Don't want to buy 100 though: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32815521845.html

Tilt stage for small objects: https://www.directindustry.com/prod/opto/product-69166-1890351.html

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 12:19:15 am »
So with a heavier object its easier to move the mirror than the object, like this guy shows

Yes, just getting off the vertical can help sometimes. At least, I think so! Love to hear an actual user's experience to figure it it's worth the hassle of either buying or making one (got the mirrors on order, nonetheless). The more expensive ones use prisms and lenses, but a cheap mirror should get somewhere.

BTW, the link you gave tried to give me video that I couldn't play. "Unknown MIME type" or something. I changed the URL to .com instead of .us and then I got a playable video. Seems a bit strange - surely we would all be using the same tools and getting the same feed, but there seems to be something country-specific at play.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline spostma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 09:03:46 pm »
the mirror slide unit is also available separately:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000266983593.html

It looks like it integrates a barlow lens.

hope that helps you!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 11:01:09 pm »
the mirror slide unit is also available separately

Thanks! Don't know how I missed that  :-//

hope that helps you!

Indeed it does  :-+

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 12:43:11 am »
Just be aware the thread size is: "Objective lens interface thread size: M24x1/36 ″
It won't fit a normal stereo microscope, and will likely cut down your FOV massively.

Some common stereo sizes are M48x0.75mm and M55x0.75mm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 08:25:00 am »
Yes, I would need 50mm, and looking at the images it's obvious that the peepholes are too small. That, along with the price, persuaded me not to get one of those and acquire another objective-mounted LED light instead  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf