Author Topic: Solder Fume Extractors  (Read 21469 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Solder Fume Extractors
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2017, 01:31:01 pm »
Why don't you just use a HEPA filter, then, which is much cheaper and probably better for how you use it, because as the main concern is atopy (causation of asthma-  otherwise known as colophony disease - keeping an old filter that likely has got a lot of toxicity in it forever seems to me much more likely to cause health problems because your body never gets a rest from the tiny allergenic particles of colophon (rosin) iany filter traps, and a thick carbon filter retains and may slowly release once its overloaded and past its used up date. You're likely better off with a HEPA filter because as all filters must have at least some holes, both filters are going to release some of the dust trapped inside over time. Replacing the HEPA filter will give your body a respite from the tiniest particles when the filter is new. You may even be able to find a washable HEPA filter that is reusable.

Learn about the alveolar spaces- Particles under one micron can get so deeply into your lungs that they go into your blood stream.

Work with me here.  I know the situation you are describing with renting really well too. You likely also could install a small HRV in a window with vent covers so that even hard driving rain could not get in, in such a way that when you moved out there would be no evidence it was ever there.

And there is also hole in the wall readily available :palm:. And don't forget that unlike in crappy american houses we usually have something like half meter of bricks or concrete.

You're right there, most US houses have relatively thin walls, just a few inches, actually, unless you live in an adobe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:41:46 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2017, 01:41:02 pm »
Why don't you just use a HEPA filter, then, which is much cheaper and probably better for how you use it
Because I already wrote earlier. Do you understand that solder fume filters do have HEPA filter within them as well? And that HEPA filter is located BEFORE activated carbon filter. The problem is it won't catch most of the crap contained in flux fumes as I said earlier several times. Where did you get the assumption you need to filter particles only? And the rest of stuff that goes through HEPA (most of stuff contained in flux fumes) is completely fine to breath. If you read PDFs from my posts, you might notice that those VOCs cause asthma and cancer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:04:14 pm by wraper »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2017, 01:44:56 pm »
Do you replace the $172 filter at the recommended interval of 14 weeks, or enclose it up in an airtight container when its not in use, or don't you?
You seem to me to be contradicting yourself. Where there is a will there is a way. I don't think the way you are using it is going to be so healthy if you just keep the same filter and never replace it, or replace it only very infrequently, but it probably is much better than nothing at all. However, a high velocity fan with a tube on it would probably be better in terms of how much you inhaled because of the higher air moving capacity. Even if it just moved it a few meters away. Its hard to say.

Atopy and the related situation "Toxicant Induced Loss of Tolerance" is caused by frequent, low level exposures to chemicals, without the body having a chance to give itself a rest.

Why don't you just use a HEPA filter, then, which is much cheaper and probably better for how you use it
Because I already wrote earlier. Do you understand that solder fume filters do have HEPA filter within them as well? And that HEPA filter is located BEFORE activated carbon filter. The problem is it won't catch most of the crap contained in flux fumes as I said earlier several times. Where did you get the assumption you need to filter particles only? And the rest of stuff that goes through HEPA (most of stuff contained in flux fumes) is completely fine to breath. If you read PDFs from my posts, you might notice that those VOCs cause asthma and cancer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:57:12 pm by cdev »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2017, 01:54:22 pm »
Do you replace the $172 filter at the recommended interval of 14 weeks, or enclose it up in an airtight container when its not in use, or don't you?

I'm confused here.
LOL, why do you again state those 14 weeks is recommended interval. There is no such interval, and it was not stated as such. That was just an example given to estimate how much of pollutant filter can absorb (it can hold inside up to 1.5 lb of solvent in that case). And I already wrote that if 100% of the flux contained in solder core would end up in filter, you'd need to use around 20-30 kg (45 - 65 lb) of solder to use all of the filter capacity.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:56:25 pm by wraper »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2017, 02:02:23 pm »
Activated charcoal filters are not solder rosin specific, they don't just sit there waiting for solder fumes to come along to get used up.

Simply being exposed to stuff in the air uses them up. The air we breathe has got tons of things in it, most (unless you live in a place like I used to live in, which is how I learned this stuff) is non toxic, but still might well bind to activated charcoal. Once its bound it excludes further materials.

Carbon absorbs toxic chemicals in inverse proportion to the amount of time they have been exposed to the stuff in the normal atmosphere. After a while they are used up. All the space on their copious surface area gets occupied.

You might somehow be able to make a reusable carbon filter, if you could make one that could be heated up, very hot, which would drive away the adsorbed chemicals- back into the atmosphere.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:11:59 pm by cdev »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2017, 02:13:00 pm »
Activated charcoal filters are not solder rosin specific, they don't just sit there waiting for solder fumes to come along to get used up.

Simply being exposed to the air uses them up.

They absorb toxic chemicals in inverse proportion to the amount of time they have been exposed to the stuff in the normal atmosphere. After a while they are used up. All the space on their copious surface area gets occupied.
There are two issues with such statement. 1. There is basically no airflow through the filter when it's off. 2. How much VOCs are in air around you so 1.5 lb of them would miraculously end up in filter while it's off. It would be dangerous to be in such place without a gas mask to begin with.

The following users thanked this post: SVFeingold

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2017, 02:19:30 pm »
What is the temperature in your workshop, is it 0 degrees Kelvin, or higher?

My guess is that its higher, because you are typing this to me. So, scratch #1

How much VOC is in the air around us? A lot over a long period of time. More than you think, and activated charcoal has an affinity to it. It literally binds it.

There are two issues with such statement. 1. There is basically no airflow through the filter when it's off. 2. How much VOCs is in air around you so 1.5 lb of them would miraculously end up in filter while it's off. It would be dangerous to be in such place without a gas mask to begin with.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2017, 02:26:46 pm »
How close is your workshop to your kitchen?
2. How much VOCs are in air around you so 1.5 lb of them would miraculously end up in filter while it's off. It would be dangerous to be in such place without a gas mask to begin with.

If you were to figure out how to capture and measure VOCs somehow they would vary a lot from place to place. The main point I am trying to make is that an activated charcoal filter is being used whenever its exposed to the air. Yes, the amount of VOCs in that air would impact the rate at which its loaded and becomes used up. But as long as the temperature is above absolute zero, the molecules of gases in the air are moving around, fast. Its called Brownian motion, look it up. 

Here-

Also you cant expect an activated charcoal filter to only adsorb one kind of potential pollutant out of many suitable molecules when they are present, and constantly bumping into it because of Brownian motion,

Instead it will silently adsorb the appropriate molecules until its used up - unless its in a sealed airtight inert container.
That said, activated carbon is a very interesting substance and quite useful.

Note they say 'reversible' process. That means that the adsorbent media might be rechargeable by heating it.

Lots of things contain chemicals of concern, which often find their ways to us via their VOCs, many of them are harmful. Deregulation of them to the lowest common denominator( as some countries are pressing the EU to do) is a very very bad idea!

Many chemicals used in everyday household items like home sheathing and construction materials, flooring, cookware, plastics, clothing (such as many dyes) newsprint, flame retardants, foam cushioning (such as mattresses and home insulation), inks, household cleaners, perfumes, paints, solvents, plastics, and many other things both potentially adsorb to activated carbon, and might cause cancer and other diseases .  So the problem is that we just simply have enough activated carbon available to adsorb all of these chemicals. You've got the right idea, but you're trying to adsorb too much, and the specific dangerous chemicals in the solder smoke are just some of a great many substances which can be adsorbed to a piece of activated carbon in your indoor environment.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:01:24 pm by cdev »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2017, 04:04:39 pm »
If you were to figure out how to capture and measure VOCs somehow they would vary a lot from place to place. The main point I am trying to make is that an activated charcoal filter is being used whenever its exposed to the air. Yes, the amount of VOCs in that air would impact the rate at which its loaded and becomes used up. But as long as the temperature is above absolute zero, the molecules of gases in the air are moving around, fast. Its called Brownian motion, look it up. 
As if you tell me something I didn't know. I actually predicted there could be something like this from you, so I wrote:
1. There is basically no airflow through the filter when it's off.
I didn't just say there is no airflow, I wrote basically no airflow. Because it is minuscule compared to airflow when it's operating. You really go through the hoops to prove your point regardless of evidence is provided to you. All manufacturers of professional fume extractors and industry in general must be stupid. And you apparently have done laboratory research to prove that, not just made up your arguments.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »
I'm just telling you what experts in toxic chemicals (i.e. toxicologists) have told me about the charcoal air filters available on the market for consumers.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2017, 10:50:08 pm »
It is likely that the rate at which the charcoal in the filter became saturated with VOCs would likely vary a great deal.

At some point though it would be unlikely to absorb any more of the substances that bind to it.

That period of time might not be that long.

14 weeks sounds wildly optimistic, from what Ive been told about charcoal air cleaners, but it may be more realistic for filters that are that expensive and heavy.

Do these filters have to meet any OSHA or similar EU specifications?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2017, 10:58:55 pm »
I'm just telling you what experts in toxic chemicals (i.e. toxicologists) have told me about the charcoal air filters available on the market for consumers.
If it was a super thin layer of activated carbon completely exposed like in consumer air purifiers, I probably would agree it could wear out by just staying off. In this case there is a thick 2kg layer of activated carbon, it's very unlikely anything but a very thin outside layer of it could wear out over time by just staying exposed to the air without any forced airflow through it.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2017, 11:06:25 pm »
It would 'wear out over time' and in not such a long time compared to the forever you just claimed it would last!

;)

If it was a super thin layer of activated carbon completely exposed like in consumer air purifiers, I probably would agree it could wear out by just staying off. In this case there is a thick 2kg layer of activated carbon, it's very unlikely anything but a very thin outside layer of it could wear out over time by just staying exposed to the air without any forced airflow through it.

Also, in order to work without requiring a huge motor basically a vacuum pump or industrial strength pump to pull or push the air, it has to be at a sweet spot between "completely exposed" and (as solid as activated charcoal could be which is still porous) So it is always exposed. And because of Brownian motion, the particles of the air always are moving. Sure, being inside a filter will slow the rate of saturation from "completely exposed" a lot, maybe by a factor of two or three? But I suspect the 14 days was still likely optimistic.

So, our estimates are perhaps within maybe one or two orders of magnitude of one another now!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:15:17 pm by cdev »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2017, 11:08:59 pm »
14 weeks sounds wildly optimistic, from what Ive been told about charcoal air cleaners, but it may be more realistic for filters that are that expensive and heavy.
It's not optimistic. As I said, I have a similar filter for several years and there is no any sign of it worsening it's performance. There must be quiet extreme amount (~700g) of flux fumes to wear it out. Not achievable at hobby use. Actually you could judge state of the filter by just measuring it's weight as it will become heavier as it accumulates more crap inside it.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2017, 01:21:44 am »
my soldering iron has a fume extractor right at the tip. seems a more practical approach then bulky fume extractors.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2017, 01:56:31 am »
You might be able to evaluate the difference between the unfiltered and filtered air using an infrared spectrophotometer?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2017, 09:15:11 am »
my soldering iron has a fume extractor right at the tip. seems a more practical approach then bulky fume extractors.
Then you instead have more bulky soldering iron. Filter capacity does not change, you still have the same amount of fumes. Only required airflow is reduced. If it happens to be Chinese soldering station, most likely, it just sucks the fumes and blows them out on the other end as is.

Offline Pandor

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2018, 11:52:16 am »
A quick (long overdue) update.

I bought a Zavasuction Type B extractor from their eBay store at a slight discount in exchange for posting a review. I've recorded about 20 minutes of a teardown, but haven't had any time to edit or post it. Since it might be that way for a few weeks, I'll just give a quick pro-con from using it for a few hours.

Pros:
Cheap(er) than comparable options
Works ok after you position it correctly
Adjustable airflow
Independent switches for fan and LEDs
Comes with a quality (if genuine) external power supply
Threaded inserts on top cover screws for durability when changing filters
Has built-in slots for adding c-clamps or some other method of securing it to a table
Bright and useful LED strip built-in
Uses a good NMB blower fan inside
Can be powered from lower voltages (12V) at reduced fan speed / air flow performance
Moddable, modular construction

Cons:
3D-printed construction of hose segments feels a little rough when being manipulated (might or might not be ok for durability)
No convenient / pre-built way of directing exhaust out a window
Requires clamping / weighting for balance, especially if solder holder is used
Fan is extremely loud at effective air flow speeds
Air flow could be better to allow for greater working distance between duct and workpiece
Didn't send me a US NEMA cord for the power supply (small oversight)
Fan body is cracked around screw holes (Self tappers might be too big, but small chance I might have over-torqued when re-assembling)
Doesn't have a frivolous, but cool looking LED clock display like the Type A

Overall, cool concept and a good entrant in this space, but I think you can do better in terms of functionality and value if you decide to roll your own exhanger or bath-fan / HEPA filter based extractor. Given the footprint of the unit, it might be unreasonable to expect better noise / air flow performance. Video review to follow someday...
You ever got around to posting that teardown? I'm also looking for a reasonably priced fume extractor, and interested in this model.

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2020, 08:02:54 pm »
hello friends
as i see everybody there is fighting with solder fumes like me
i add there some of the most important informations about air filtration and about "why you shouldnt use/pay for any kind of filters"

so lets start

few year ago i was sure about i can use some kind of carbon filters + prefilters to remove soldering fumes
what i understand at beginning about commerciall air filtration units uses hepa filters + carbon and they make big air static pressure because they are so small
these units like weller zero smog they use few kg of coconut carbon + hepa h13 + prefilter + radial turbine makes by the ebmpapst company with big air pressure up to 3000pa type G1G144 blowers

the reason of this pressure was:
1. hepa h13 add big pressure
2. carbon packed to small tape give even more

at last i was trying to find solution to avoid this problem and what i understand about

1. i can reduce air pressure can use the can-lite carbon filters packed in tube which add significant air pressure to the air outlet
2. use F9 class filters instead of hepa h13 filters

finally ive ended at 6,4kg of coconut carbon + F9 class minpleat pre-filter

and what i can say some of conclusions:

1. the hepa h13 filters in weller zero smog is the least important filter (hepa companies makes big pressure to filter manufactory)
nobody wants to use hepa as in case about this filters makes bigest air pressure to the air filtration units

2. the F9 prefilter lower class do the 95% of the job instead of hepa coz both hepa and this prefilter absorb the dust the F9 is much cheaper and have much lower air pressure

but the F9 or hepa wasnt the point in solder fume filtration

these filters absorb only the dust (well known dust from some commerciall papers noted as the most dangerous) which is completly bullshit !!!

now where is the point

as you know the carbon filter out many of gas particles but these include mostly odours - this is not enough for solder fumes !!!
moreover carbon can remove dangerous lead gas

the coconut carbon is the carbon especially used for lead and for the particles which usuall carbon type coal cannot remove

the biggest problem with solder fumes is about they contain

1. formaldehyde (absorbed by coconut carbon just 50% of weight)
2. isopropylic alcohol etylen metyl/etyl/kethon amonia (removed by 25% of carbon) or even less
3. the lead poison (guessing about is absorbed in 15% not more)

these all of this chemicalls are included in soldering process

like i said i ended up with 6,4kg of coconut carbon and use maybe 150m3/h of airflow speed for fume out in my unit
at last ! i achieve maybe 90% of formaldehyde and 50% lead extraction

now where is the point ? :)

the answer is simply ,

hakko company said about the lead from soldering isnt dangerous it doesnt evaporate in lower temperatures (perhaps thats why they said this is because they dont have enough of carbon capacity to remove lead gas from the air) !!!

weller company said about they uses hepa h13 filters coz due soldering process there is danger with lead

what i can say there both weller+hakko theory is completly bullshit

proof:

when i have 3kg of coconut carbon i fell still in the air the lead the metallic taste in the mouth this is lead.. and this one what you fell is gas not dust! , when i added more carbon up to 6,4kg i basically didnt fell nothing but like i said 150m3/h maximum airflow coz we facing there time contact with the carbon

this lead gas cause:
1. some kind of fever + mental disorders + phlegm in the throat and many other problems (thats just lead gas! absorbed by coconut carbon)

the lead have its weight of 0,2um to 0,5um both this is gas + dust whether the hepa filter out just up to 0,3um
now i would ask the weller company about where the hell did i missed lead fumes instead of gas ?! did i ever fell them ?

the most important job doing the carbon + F9 class prefilters hepa h13 is not important is just something which is added to charge you more price and tell you the bullshit about air filtration !

now everybody there understand the common points in air filtration
-saying about the 0,3um dust of particles absorbed by hepa is completly bullshit (F9 class filters catch 25% of 0,3 up to 100% to 10um) and we know from literature the about the 0,3um dust is not the whorst , the whorst is 0,5um dust !!!

at last as about soldering fumes the important in air filtratiion is not to remove dust but the gas !!! absorbed by carbon

now i will tell you about why using these filters is completly nonesense and waiste of money

lets back to the weller zero smog (except hakko)

as we know the carbon remove many of particles easily but it have the problem with particles such as amonia metylen etylen keton isopropylic alcoholl formaldehyde and so on (it absorb only small amount of it) and even if you add more carbon you wont hit the jackpot! i said i ended up with 6,4kg coconut carbon vs 150m3/h air speed = 90% of formaldehyde removal and maybe 50% of lead

these substances are most common use in soldering process fluxes+solder tin etc contain them

the weller zero smog instead of carbon use a afterburner to remove all of the rest high pollutants which i listed there

- amonia metylen etylen keton isopropylic alcoholl formaldehyde

this afterburner is so called Potassium Permanganate Impregnated Alumina - this is a chemical media impregnated with kmn04 , both all commerciall fume extractor units use this media or zeolite A4

they have mixed 50% of coconut carbon with potassium impreagnated alumina kmn04 or 70% of carbon mixed with 30% of zeolite A4 molecular sieve

the particles which cannot be 100% absorbed on carbon are absorbed on these filtration media zeolite or kmn04 such as isopropylic alcoholl formaldehydes etc (this is only the way to get them out)
and even if some of manufactories uses especially impregnated carbons to remove aldehydes these are impregnated with oxidizers (oxidizer = kmn04 or similiar)

disadvantages of this units are as follow:

-zeolite and kmn04 alumina is expensiff by comparing to the carbon
-zeolite = irritant !!!
-kmn04 = toxic/irritant !!!

at last when i mixed coconut carbon with zeolite and both with kmn04 alumina for test i said this is enough !

they offcourse with 5kg of carbon and 25% of zeolite removed formaldehydes but i fell very irritant air ....
these remove some of pollutants but they add much more pollutants as from they structure to the air!

but thats not the biggest nightmare in this story i would tell you more...

i use this filters mostly for hand soldering = smd ic + various fluxes + more

and lets say when i solder 3 hours per day the F9 class prefilter stand alive up to 6 months

but this wasnt the end of this nightmare

the problems started when ive connected bga station in chamber to filter outlet

i started the station just 7 times to solder or desolder large bga ic from board
the result = F9 class prefilter completly damaged !!!

conclusions:

the filters to use for fume extraction are not whorst any penny to use...

as in case of irritant chemicall media such as zeolite and kmn04 impregnated media
and dust filters going to die very quickly...

at last if someone is interessted i can upload there photos of my devices these include can-lite filters replaced with coconut carbon + prefilters

finally i understand about i need some kind of HVAC which is not easy to use in building i have in plan to mount a chamber at the window and use input/output pipes

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2020, 08:32:44 pm »
finally at last to summarise what i said

1. dont use any filters nor pay for them whatever because they are not whorst for soldering
2. weller zero smog units doesnt remove lead gas completly they have maybe maximum 3kg of coconut carbon which is not enough to remove this gas at 300m3/h speed
this amount of carbon is not even enough to remove lead gas at 150m3/h from air stream !!!

but they dont tell you this... coz they cant include 15 - 20kg of carbon in they units coz they would blow/kill ebmpapst blower by that and instead of this they are telling you about they have very important (which is not important) hepa h13 filter who remove you a dust particles up to 0,3um including lead dust ... which is so funny :)

well believe or not even if lead is produce 0,3 0,2um dust particles then you wont fell them and any of weller zero smog is not enough to remove them (it cant remove 0,2um !!!) where they missed 0,2 ? does they dont have enough of radial blowers to use ulpa filters ? dont believe in this

this what i fell in my setups was the only lead gas... partially absorbed by carbon (offcourse can be absorbed in 100%) but need to add maybe +20kg of carbon

moreover these commerciall air filtration units are very noisey , the manufactory cant reduce this noise
even if the design of radial blower is much more powerfull than standard fan they are noisey
offcourse you can set few of can-lite carbon filters + noise silencers (you can even puts 50kg of carbon) and you get (no air pressure drop) due to structure of these filters packed in tubes instead of weller tapes
but... you wont hit the jackpot anyhow in air filtration and if you add the zeolite or kmn04 to the carbon you would kill yourself by these chemicalls in air going out from the filters !

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2020, 12:34:56 am »
when i have 3kg of coconut carbon i fell still in the air the lead the metallic taste in the mouth this is lead.. and this one what you fell is gas not dust! , when i added more carbon up to 6,4kg i basically didnt fell nothing but like i said 150m3/h maximum airflow coz we facing there time contact with the carbon
I would rather believe you have brain problems and need to visit psychiatrist rather that there is "lead gas"  :o, and moreover that you can taste it.
BTW to cure your "lead gas" obsession, use lead-free solder. And effing learn some chemistry.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:39:57 am by wraper »

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2020, 09:15:57 am »
will add there more informations which i forget to add before

well only the weller zero smog + few other air filters from market contains afterburner except the carbon , these like i said are zeolites and kmn04 impregnated media
weller has kmn04 whether the hakko have only the coconut or even not coconut but coal granulated carbon !

these afterburners remove particles with molecular weight from air very successive but like i said they are irritant and toxic
only the high end expensiff commerciall fume extractors have them included

you can buy zeolite and kmn04 impregnated alumina
zeolite is easier to find and buy but both have same price

these remove molecular weights particles - these vapours which killing/damage you at soldering process

the others are removed success by carbon but these not so important to remove except lead , coconut carbon can only remove a half of molecular particles

later i upload photos of my setups these include x4 can-lite plastic tubes 1,6kg of carbon per tube = 6,4kg of coconut carbon + F9 class minpleat prefilter
when i fill them with just carbon i still fell in the air a little formaldehydes + isopropylic alcoholl in the air + offcourse lead poison

and whether if is possibly to remove all of aldehydes + alcoholls by mixed coconut carbon with chemical media known as zeolite or alumina
then is not possibly to remove lead poison from the air by that

guessing about i would need 40 - 50kg of coconut carbon to remove 100% lead from the air over 150m3/h speed which is completly nonesense to buy/pay for setup like that

but like i said if someone is interessted in solder fume filtration i answer to his questions because i payed for these devices not small money

now i wanna back to HVAC HRV questions knows as recuperator

i live in building have one air output in kitchen and one in bathroom (checked them and looks like only the bathroom output is isolated from the neighbours) but near it there is a gas heater for heating the water - i should not connecting there air output from heat recovery unit

the plan is to insulate all of the windows + add some kind of curtain for bathroom air output
the curtain will be set ON when i started soldering and using HRV
in kitchen i can cloag-off completly air output because i dont have gas in kitchen anymore

now where connect the input and output from hrv
the only possibility in this stupid building is to build some kind of chamber which covering one window with connected pipes
the chamber must be opened and after window must be opened at last chamber going to be closed and HRV turned on

there could be a risk about the dirty air will mix a little with fresh air
to avoid this i will try to separate 2 sides of chamber a little or at the whorst case scenario i will output one pipe far away first room to another window

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2020, 09:22:50 am »
I would rather believe you have brain problems and need to visit psychiatrist rather that there is "lead gas"  :o, and moreover that you can taste it.
BTW to cure your "lead gas" obsession, use lead-free solder. And effing learn some chemistry.
man
i use lead-free tin in 90% of my work
just sometimes i must use leadded balls for bga
and if you believe in fairy tales about leaded tin from internet about it is not toxic it doesnt evaporate etc.
do the simply test

go and solder 1 - 2 hours with leaded tin and in next day repeat the same with lead-free tin

this what you fell in the mouth known as metallic taste from leadded tin is a lead which is slowly damaging you
you wont fell it while you solder with lead-free tin so doesnt the lead dont evaporate under soldering process ?  :-DD

in past i did solder with lead few hours per day for many years and i get many health issuess from this poison
later when i switched to lead-free tin i start felling alot better

anyways we are speaking there mainly about the filters for solder should remove lead in 100% because even if someone uses lead-free tin sometimes he facing leadded tin from some of pcb etc.
but they dont do this job !!!

because by paying big money for filters you expect 100% clean air - do i have right or not ?
but the pitty tale about leadded tin taken from internet is another part of this story
i heard about also the lead-free tin is more dangerous than leadded coz it evaporate much more smoke (because must be heated at 230C)

then if you have this problem go and buy+use especiall lead-free tin with bismuth which you can use in 138C offcourse if you believe in this fairy tales

and btw. i doesnt have any problems with my brain and rather we are speaking there about fume air filtration how it works and if is whorst of paying for these devices or not
the lead is another problem of this story and yes think whats you want but this lead gas is who killing you
you are slowly working on cancer (brain cancer) while soldering with leaded tin

when you read some papers in google you understand about these informations about leadded tin are weak and not 100% true
hakko is claiming about the lead doesnt evaporate or even if evaporate is just a little amount while soldering
whether the weller company claiming about oh yes there is really a lead and thats why they include hepa h13 filters in they fume filtration units (this is the most of the important filter in they setup)
at last go to SENTRY AIR website and read about latest leaded tin discoveries they said it is not like some of companies mentioned about the leaded tin the case is much more whorse

this funny informations about leadded tin are 15 year or even more weak , try to find and read the current informations ;)

btw. dont you think about this old papers about the lead in soldering process have been writen by air filtration manufactories ?
i think very possibly because they know about they air filter units canot remove lead gas in 100% maybe if they have 50kg - 70kg of coconut carbon they can but for filters like that you would pay big money
and one G1G144 turbine blower would be not enough to move air troutght this filtration media

and if we speaking about lead-free tin then i can say there about
i use it for long time and i dont have problems to solder with even soldering wave , the only one problem i see with this tin is when i solder the wires they must be secured coz if you bend this connections you would simply damage pcb connections
so rather you should solder the wires by placing them on the pcb - position at the base of the pcb - this is the only one problem for me one issue with lead free soldering
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:50:35 am by lfldp »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2020, 10:09:32 am »
in past i did solder with lead few hours per day for many years and i get many health issuess from this poison
Did you actually visit a doctor to check for lead poisoning? Heard about placebo effect? Also solder is much more than alloy, there is flux which makes way more difference in what soldering fumes contain. Not to say usually there is some part which is was not sucked into fume extractor.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:21:32 am by wraper »

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2020, 10:14:28 am »
Did you actually visit a doctor to check for lead poisoning? Heard about placebo effect? Also solder is much more than alloy, there is which makes way more difference in what soldering fumes contain. Not to say usually there is some part which is was sucked into fume extractor.
no i didnt
it was 3 year ago when i inhalle this leadded tin now all is ok because in 90% i use lead free tin and also i used fume filters , now prepairing to use HRV
later ill upload there photos of these filters

i dont visit the doctor but anyway i have many health problems these include:
-chronicall problems with sleeping at night for 1 year or more (cant sleep normall going to sleep usually at 4AM of clock) and when i sleeping i sleep many hours nobody cant wake me up so sleep whole of days
-problems with brain memory
-problems with concentration
-sometimes i feel some kind od fever

all of this symptoms gone when i changed leadded tin to lead free

so we can out there some of conclusions maybe i am a little more allergic than others but... :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf