Author Topic: soldering/desoldering 2n1 station  (Read 1886 times)

Offline ironsniper1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
soldering/desoldering 2n1 station
« on: January 27, 2021, 06:55:05 am »
hey everyone, I did a search and read through a bunch of threads but still need some advice, I have basically started collecting old cartridge-based video games and systems, and most of the games I try to buy I try to get cheap and that means not working and so far a few games I have fixed for my personal collect by replacing the main chip(s) with an EPROM

but my work table is a bit limited on space and because of that I am looking for a 2n1 station with a soldering iron and a desoldering iron with a pump that won't break the bank, currently, for a soldering iron I have a Hakko fx888d and it has been good to me, for desoldering I have one of those cheap S-993A units and its hit and miss

so does anyone have any advice on what I should get I don't want to spend $400USD+ on one but with all the Chinese clones and such it's hard to know what's good and what to avoid.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: soldering/desoldering 2n1 station
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 09:44:47 am »
By solder/desolder, you mean a Iron/Air combo?
I do not think you get Iron/Suction combo's.

I have a Iron/Air combo unit, but if I were to buy everything from scratch, I would take separate units.
But the small stackable OLED STM12 ones.

Like these videos:
https://youtu.be/C1OiKfb_0M8
https://youtu.be/Dy9WUtvdBUk

Having said that, if I were to buy a new combo, I would take one of the nice STM32 controlled ones, with T12.
(so its not what I have, but what I would get now. (well, I do actually have the T12 iron, in one of its alternate brand labels))
Like these two video's:
https://youtu.be/bNu-lHLCck4
https://youtu.be/MrIkR7PT_RM

Edit: I am being stupid. Talk before I listen. sorry. You clearly do want a suction desolder gun.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:02:44 am by cybermaus »

The following users thanked this post: ironsniper1

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 10:26:35 am »
I avoid cheap 2in1 stations they always have something that leaves you with a sour taste. If I was in your situation I'd get a Hakko FR301 or a reasonably priced secondhand Pace station. The Hakko is going to give you portability between benches.

A Pace station due to design can provide good reliability. If you pause the below video at 1m30s it shows the vacuum desoldering tip goes straight into reservoir (trap) via a  grommet (front seal). There is another grommet (rear seal) on the other side. Both these seals are replaced for a total of $9. Tips come in packs but the break down cost is about $8 each. This is why I like their system, even a poorly maintained handpiece can be $20 away from being serviced.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:34:46 am »
Last Summer I bought an 8582D combo for about $56 off ebay from a US shipper.  Original unit worked OK, but when it went to sleep, it would not re-awaken.  Seller sent a replacement without question or return.  New unit works as expected.  I have used it very little.  The hot air works and is the correct temperature (TC measured).   There is no inline, primary on/off switch, so I added one.

It's cheap, seems to work, and if the soldering iron fails, I have my trusty Loner for backup.

Of course, it is low-end, but it does work.  Temperature control on the hot air works but is not a big concern of mine as technique is also important.

EDIT:  Oops...I missed the "pump" part.  I never use a desoldering pump.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:04:24 am by jpanhalt »

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 10:37:56 am »
He is looking for a vacuum desoldering system, not hot air.

Offline CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional electron whisperer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 12:54:13 pm »
I have one of the Pace systems shown in the video. 
I've never been impressed with it. 
It's big, loud, and I find I spend more time clearing clogs than de-soldering.

What I have found works best is the Engineer SS-02 with a good iron.

Offline ironsniper1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 07:39:19 pm »
I have one of the Pace systems shown in the video. 
I've never been impressed with it. 
It's big, loud, and I find I spend more time clearing clogs than de-soldering.

What I have found works best is the Engineer SS-02 with a good iron.
i have one of those and while yes they can work good, it takes forever when you have to desolder a 32pin or 42 pin mask rom

Online ace1903

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 10:27:30 pm »
I have ZD8915 and I am not satisfied. Constantly clogs.
Some member here said that now they sell a newer model with a thick barrel that does not clog often.
That's the problem with cheap clones, you newer know what you will get until you open the box.
In general, I use the desoldering station to take components from ATX PSUs UPS and some inverters.
I want to have some mosfets and power diodes for experiments. For repair jobs, I still use hand-operated vacuum pump.

Offline CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional electron whisperer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 12:00:32 am »
In the case of my Pace system I think it had/has two fundamental flaws:
1. The pump which creates the vacuum doesn't spool up fast enough to create an instant surge of vacuum.  This slow build of vacuum doesn't drain the joint of solder sufficiently before the volume of incoming air cools the joint.
2. The opening in the tip is too narrow and tends to plug easily from flux 'slag' and cooled solder. 

Admittedly this is an older Pace system - the newer versions may have addressed these issues.

If I needed a solder extractor for volume work, I would purchase a unit that used house vacuum (or had a vacuum reservoir) and a solenoid to create an instant 'surge' of vacuum.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 01:42:10 am »
I saw some secondhand Pace stations that use shop air for sale on ebay a few days back for $225.

I prefer having the pump in the station. The modern Pace vacuum desoldering stations with the pump inside have Snap Vac which does high flow rate when the button or pedal is pressed. Old crusty solder is best reflowed with some fresh solder/flux before you vacuum it out, same process for a manual solder sucker.

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 07:18:46 am »
I have ZD8915 and I am not satisfied. Constantly clogs.

So, I have one, very satisfied, but the following story: The very first time I used it it clogged. Within a minute of ownership!

Upon investigation, I noticed there was a rubber ring that was incorrectly placed. The heat-element pipe was not inside, but against the ring. See this picture below.
It appears to work, but presents the airflow with a ridge to build up against.

Since then, I always make sure the pipe is inside and penetrates the rubber ring. Since then, it has not clogged even once in 19 months.

So not sure if you have something different, maybe there is indeed some other variation in the device, but just in case, do check.

[img=200x150]https://imgur.com/eA4010O[/img]

Offline cybermaus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 08:37:10 pm »
Hmm, I got my first sucker jam in the ZD-8915 since that first day.

I had recently put on the 1.2mm nozzle, instead of the 1.5mm, as the 1.5 was kind of oxidized away.
Additionally  I had also started to replug the nozzle with tin, as people advise.

So firstly, I find with the 1.2mm it does not suck very well. And maybe in combination of adding a plug of tin when putting it away, after a few uses it jammed
Took quite some effort to clean. Completely packed with oxidized tin "sand", which never melts of course.
After cleaning I put back on the "bad" 1.5mm, and it worked better again.

My (anecdotal) conclusions: Keep using the big nozzle. Do not replug the tip with tin after use. Do run the rod through it after use, even when it is still open.
Also maybe this is a good motivation to add the delay valve, so it works better with a smaller nozzle.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf