Author Topic: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges  (Read 42116 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline coppercone2

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13719
  • Country: us
  • √Y√... 📎
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2024, 06:09:12 am »
its the only wire stripper I would personally bother using on small wires actually. The big wires there is risk. I was giving you an example of how its useful for big wires (which normally some people don't seem to consider a problem, even though it can cause serious problems) even though obviously you want to use it on tiny wires more then anything.

You know, to prove it is generally valuable. Because hearing the "its not a space shuttle!!!!" crap gets old.. its like worksmanship and quality only seems to matter if you hurt more then... 3 people or destroy a millions of dollars of property?


I am simply saying its a powerful and worthwhile tool that lets you have top tier quality with massive time savings and it pays for itself quick. I am sure everyone here gets the old magnifier and light out every time they cut a wire though  ;)   ::)


no doubt your just going to go to the school of hard knocks  :-//
« Last Edit: October 30, 2024, 06:17:16 am by coppercone2 »
 

Offline ksjh

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 122
  • Country: de
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2024, 06:32:41 am »
I got thermal when I wasted like $150 of RF connectors on 7 strand coaxial indent center pins. And coaxial outers. Fine braid is super easy to damage and you run into it pretty quick if you keep at electronics.

Yes, this is valid point, some coax is hard to strip without any damage by mechanical means and/or requires precise adjustments to the tools. But does your thermal stripper work at all with FEP or PTFE insulation/dielectric for example for RG316?
 

Offline coppercone2

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13719
  • Country: us
  • √Y√... 📎
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2024, 06:50:24 am »
yeah it will go through teflon

mechanically dealing with fep over braid is just so bad.
 
The following users thanked this post: ksjh

Offline tooki

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15942
  • Country: ch
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2024, 06:19:20 pm »
I got thermal when I wasted like $150 of RF connectors on 7 strand coaxial indent center pins. And coaxial outers. Fine braid is super easy to damage and you run into it pretty quick if you keep at electronics.

Yes, this is valid point, some coax is hard to strip without any damage by mechanical means and/or requires precise adjustments to the tools. But does your thermal stripper work at all with FEP or PTFE insulation/dielectric for example for RG316?
For what it's worth, one manufacturer of thermal strippers (Patco, probably the lowest-cost thermal strippers on the market) makes their strippers in "low" and "high" temperature versions, with the high temperature ones recommended for PTFE, Kapton, etc.
 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w, ksjh

Offline ZGoode

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 309
  • Country: us
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2024, 06:36:08 pm »
For what it's worth, one manufacturer of thermal strippers (Patco, probably the lowest-cost thermal strippers on the market) makes their strippers in "low" and "high" temperature versions, with the high temperature ones recommended for PTFE, Kapton, etc.

I'm gonna have to check out these PATCO ones.  I was looking at buying a different sized tip/handle for my Meisei tweezers and it turns out to be $800 (WTF!) for just the handle.
 
The following users thanked this post: tooki


Offline coppercone2

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13719
  • Country: us
  • √Y√... 📎
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2024, 05:51:27 am »
For what it's worth, one manufacturer of thermal strippers (Patco, probably the lowest-cost thermal strippers on the market) makes their strippers in "low" and "high" temperature versions, with the high temperature ones recommended for PTFE, Kapton, etc.

I'm gonna have to check out these PATCO ones.  I was looking at buying a different sized tip/handle for my Meisei tweezers and it turns out to be $800 (WTF!) for just the handle.

also its the only way i found to maintain a semblance of sanity dealing with shitty ribbon , particuarly when tis almost too short.
 
The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Analog KidTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4978
  • Country: us
  • DANDY fan (Discretes Are Not Dead Yet)
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2024, 07:57:11 am »
At this point I'm up to ~$30 USD.
Let me know if that makes anyone laugh ...

Here you go:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/best-wire-strippers-for-small-awg-electronic-repair-in-2022/msg4296778/#msg4296778

https://www.jensentools.com/product/618PL1118-PA1118

Not automatic. Didn't you get that that's my preference here?
BTW, a post in that thread is wrong: automatic means the stripper grips the insulation and pulls it away from the stripped wire automatically.
 

Offline jpanhalt

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4804
  • Country: us
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2024, 09:04:50 am »
Perhaps OT, but related to thermal strippers and ribbon cable, I don't need to do that often.  When I do, my "hybrid" striper (attachment) works great.   A hot air gun (high volume) heats the spring clamp.  The wire handles stay comfortably warm.  I am not sure where it's directed makes a difference , but I blow down the open channel too.  I have only used it on PVC and suspect it may not work well with high temperature insulation.
 

Offline Electro Fan

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3333
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2024, 02:12:00 pm »
At this point I'm up to ~$30 USD.
Let me know if that makes anyone laugh ...

Here you go:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/best-wire-strippers-for-small-awg-electronic-repair-in-2022/msg4296778/#msg4296778

https://www.jensentools.com/product/618PL1118-PA1118

Not automatic. Didn't you get that that's my preference here?
BTW, a post in that thread is wrong: automatic means the stripper grips the insulation and pulls it away from the stripped wire automatically.

Yes, I got it that automatic is your preference and also that up to $30 is your budget - so yes I understand those parameters. What I also know is that it is hard to find a stripper that will be precise and easy and fast to use on wire as small as 30 AWG, and also fit your budget.

If you try the tool in the link you will not have an automatic tool but you will be able to strip wires very fast - maybe even faster than an automatic tool, and possible more precisely than any automatic tool you will find for under $30.  This tool strips insulation off 30 AWG (and it has a range of 20-30 AWG) with incredible consistency - it gets the insulation off easy and fast without harming the conductor. 

I have bought about 10 of these even though my first one continues to operate flawlessly.  I keep a couple as backups in case the first ever gets lost or damaged and the rest have been for gifts for others including an EE and a ME and other friends.  After about 10 years around here and plenty of test equipment, tools, components, and other purchases driven by “TEA” these rank at or near the top in value per $. 

Buy them from Amazon for about $18 and if they don’t perform you can send them back for a refund. 

Like Tooki and others have been trying to kelp you recognize, when people are trying to help you might want to consider how you input, process, and reply to the information being provided.

Question:  How many wires are you going to strip how often?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2024, 02:14:01 pm by Electro Fan »
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8841
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2024, 03:40:50 pm »
I have the Knipex Multistrip 10 and like it a lot.

I also have a few cheap Chinese clones – they are ok for larger diameters but will rip out strands in small diameter stranded wire...
Not for small gauges, it's bad enough it does not have adjustable insulation stripping depth, but for small gauges it makes it basically unusable. Absolutely not worth it for the money it costs. Weidmuller Stripax is much better universal stripper, especially if you need smaller gauges. Multistrip feels like cheap Chinese shit in comparison, although price is almost the same.
I could not disagree more.

It doesn’t have adjustable depth, but it nonetheless does better than Stripax on most wires. It is not “unusable” on smaller gauges, it works exceptionally well.

I have the Multistrip 10, Precistrip 10, and Stripax at work. The Multistrip is hands-down the one I reach for first. The Precistrip I use for slightly more challenging stuff which has unusually thick or thin insulation. I rarely use the Stripax.
If it strips small gauges with thin insulation, you'd probably got good specimen with perfectly adjusted (wire holding) jaws for your job. Mine were not even adjusted to be straight from factory, so blade depth depended on side you put the wire to. After long experimenting with adjusting jaws I came to conclusion that it either won't strip tougher insulation or will cut into copper on small gauge wires with thin insulation. No universal way to adjust them to fit all the wires. Stripax on other hand is way more reliable tool that can be adjusted to particular insulation stripping depth. I have both strippers at home BTW, bought them brand new.
As it's a work tool, that Stripax may have dull blades that need replacement.
Quote
The Multistrip doesn’t need adjustment to work perfectly for the vast majority of wires, and it needs significantly less hand force to operate than the others.
It's basically the same as placing stripax adjustment to middle position and gluing it in place. There is zero automatic adjustment in this too. And their marketing selling point of it not needing adjustment is nothing but scam.
It sounds to me like you got a seriously defective unit. I’ve used four Multistrip 10’s over the years (at different workplaces) and they’ve all performed flawlessly.

The Multistrip 10 is not at all the same as a Stripax in the middle setting. It does thin wires better and big wires just as well, but with less insulation scuffing, and with a slightly neater cut end of the insulation.

It’s a practically brand new Stripax, so not dull blades.


One very important tip for the Multistrip 10: you must operate it swiftly. It does not work well if you squeeze the handles with trepidation. I’ve seen some YouTube reviewers make this mistake. For whatever reason that tool really does not work if the handles are closed slowly. So hold the handle towards the open end and squeeze quickly and decisively.

Soz for the long quote. Wanted the full context.

Based on this discussion, and similar previously, I coughed £80 for a Multistrip 10. I normally use the CK CK Abisolierer ones for kynar wirewrap 30awg solid core, but it's not so hot on short length, particularly when the other end is soldered to something. I hoped that the Knipex would solve that issue.

Have to say that for this application it is complete pants and just cut off the wire instead of stripping it. For other wires there are many much cheaper solutions, all perfectly good, so realistically it's a waste of £80 from my point of view.

Edit: So maybe 30awg solid core isn't it's strong point.  Looking around for something else, all I could find was UTP drop cable. According to the specs it is 28awg mutli-strand, so should be well within spec for the Multistrip 10. Looked good, until I took a closer look and saw it's snipped a strand (photo attached - I bent it slightly to make it obvious. Originally it was tucked into the bundle so hard to see).

Nice movement to it, but it's not good at what it's sold for.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2024, 03:54:48 pm by PlainName »
 

Online wraper

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 19499
  • Country: lv
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2024, 04:23:21 pm »
Edit: So maybe 30awg solid core isn't it's strong point.  Looking around for something else, all I could find was UTP drop cable. According to the specs it is 28awg mutli-strand, so should be well within spec for the Multistrip 10. Looked good, until I took a closer look and saw it's snipped a strand (photo attached - I bent it slightly to make it obvious. Originally it was tucked into the bundle so hard to see).

Nice movement to it, but it's not good at what it's sold for.
As I already said, its problem is that blade penetration depth is not adjustable. You can unscrew front jaws and adjust them for particular wire insulation thickness, but that's it. If you adjust it for thin insulation, it will fail to strip thicker insulation. And if you adjust it for average, it will be fine for most wires but will cut into copper when insulation is thin. Stripax has depth adjustment for a good reason, and as it was released much earlier than Multistrip 10 that has the same operation principle, I find it unforgivable to release a tool for about the same price but with no adjustment. I love Knipex tools but this one is a disappointment.
BTW I haven't used Phoenix Contact WIREFOX 10 but from its looks it might be great for thin wires with thin insulation. It's basically Stripax but rated for thinner wires. Also it can be fitted with different blades, including for PTFE.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2024, 04:36:26 pm by wraper »
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8841
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2024, 04:50:41 pm »
Stripax only goes down to 0.08mm (28awg). For that and up I use Thomas and Betts which is perfectly OK and infinitely adjustable. Also uses 4-sided cuts, and the only real issue is determining the cut length. Also needs a minimum length for the movement to work, but for other than stripboard it's now my go-to for stripping (took a while to get there though).

I get the feeling that for thin wire the stripper is best if it has fixed size cutters. Automatic just doesn't seem to get it right.
 

Offline shabaz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1015
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2024, 06:03:39 pm »
Photo of my 10-year-old Stripmaster Lite, still on the original blades.
It's excellent for 30 AWG solid-core Kynar, and works great for slightly thicker wire too, e.g. normal stranded wire as used with proto-boards.

There is a small niche of wires it fails on; stranded 30 AWG PTFE wire in particular (see the purple wire) where the insulation isn't fully removed (the insulation fragment could be snipped off, but it's clear the Stripmaster Lite isn't a good fit for this wire). It's a challenge for many wire-strippers.

However, that silver-plated stranded PTFE wire is quite expensive, I think if a user needs wire strippers for stripping that wire regularly, then they may not have an issue buying a different tool for it (I use more specialist Knipex wire strippers that can handle that wire).

You can also see the faint tool impressions left by the Stripmaster Lite on the insulators.

This Stripmaster Lite tool is used regularly by me, because it's quick to use and lightweight. I only bring out the larger Knipex tool if absolutely needed.

For thicker solid-core wire (e.g. as used on breadboards), I use yet another different Knipex tool that is quite low-cost.

The stripmaster lite is certainly not in the $30 ballpark however. It costs $100 and is probably worth that (nowadays). When I purchased 10 years ago, it was closer to $40.
 
The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8841
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2024, 06:40:14 pm »
I would buy the Stripmaster like a shot were it not for the format of it - the sideways opening seems to be asking for it to bang into whatever the (short) but of wire is attached to. I really want something that remains static in space, but if it's going to move then it moves away.

So close... :)
 
The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Offline m98

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 672
  • Country: de
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2024, 07:29:12 pm »
Check out the Jokari PWS-PLUS 001, not automatic, but just as fast
 

Offline shabaz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1015
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2024, 07:37:51 pm »
The head of the tool isn't as large as some wire strippers, and it can work in some tight spots, but you're right, it can often get in the way for sure (the movement is in the direction of the loose end of the wire, but in a tight location the head can hit something, or the body of the tool might need to be placed closer than practical if the wire is short). If the wire is not attached, then it's a pleasure to use this tool, and the strip is clean repeatably.
 
The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8841
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2024, 07:41:35 pm »
Check out the Jokari PWS-PLUS 001, not automatic, but just as fast

Had a look at that when it was mentioned in one of the other threads, but don't see what it really does better than my existing CK job.
 

Online Analog KidTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4978
  • Country: us
  • DANDY fan (Discretes Are Not Dead Yet)
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2024, 08:49:27 pm »
At this point I'm up to ~$30 USD.
Let me know if that makes anyone laugh ...

Here you go:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/best-wire-strippers-for-small-awg-electronic-repair-in-2022/msg4296778/#msg4296778

https://www.jensentools.com/product/618PL1118-PA1118

Not automatic. Didn't you get that that's my preference here?

Yes, I got it that automatic is your preference and also that up to $30 is your budget - so yes I understand those parameters. What I also know is that it is hard to find a stripper that will be precise and easy and fast to use on wire as small as 30 AWG, and also fit your budget.

OK, I get it that such a thing is "hard to find", but I'd like to know: is it impossible to find or just difficult? If impossible, then I'll quit |O and start looking for something else.

I do have non-automatic strippers like the ones suggested, and I think they may go down to 30 AWG; I'll have to check on that.
 

Offline jpanhalt

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4804
  • Country: us
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2024, 10:22:48 pm »
OK, I get it that such a thing is "hard to find", but I'd like to know: is it impossible to find or just difficult? If impossible, then I'll quit |O and start looking for something else.

Your logic is flawed.  You can't prove something is impossible.  Every poster has said that they know of no product that meets your specification.  Now, It's time for you to show they are wrong.  We cannot prove that to you, so why waste our time?
 
The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Analog KidTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4978
  • Country: us
  • DANDY fan (Discretes Are Not Dead Yet)
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2024, 11:31:17 pm »
"Impossible" in this case isn't some absolute value: if someone knowledgeable here knows from their experience that I won't find such a thing, then it's valid for them to say it's impossible. And I'll take their word for it.

This isn't a pissing contest: I'm not trying to prove myself right or anyone else wrong. I just want a decent fucking pair of wire strippers that don't cost an arm and a leg, if that isn't asking too much.

Sheesh.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2024, 11:35:29 pm by Analog Kid »
 

Offline tooki

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15942
  • Country: ch
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2024, 12:31:50 am »
"Impossible" in this case isn't some absolute value: if someone knowledgeable here knows from their experience that I won't find such a thing, then it's valid for them to say it's impossible. And I'll take their word for it.
No, you have proven that you won’t take our word for it. You get angry at us and insult us, accuse us of ignoring your requirements, and then ask the same question again.

Multiple of us have been crystal clear to you: what you want (a particular set of functional requirements, at a very, very low price point) does not exist. You can sacrifice features to meet your price point, or you can sacrifice quality and risk blowing your budget on a tool that does not work. (“Work” defined as “doing the intended job without causing significant damage to the workpiece”.)


This isn't a pissing contest: I'm not trying to prove myself right or anyone else wrong. I just want a decent fucking pair of wire strippers that don't cost an arm and a leg, if that isn't asking too much.
Multiple people have explained to you repeatedly that it is too much to ask. You cannot meet your functional requirements at the price cap you’ve set.

The fact that you keep repeating the question over and over after it’s been answered, and your impatience and rudeness in your responses, sure makes it seem that it is a pissing contest to you.

What do you think, exactly? That we know of suitable products but are withholding them to piss you off? Don’t you think we would be happy if we could recommend a great, cheap tool? No, we are sharing what we know because we’ve done the same searches, we’ve tried cheap tools, and in the end, are giving you the best advice we can.
 
The following users thanked this post: eliocor, janoc

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8841
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2024, 08:41:54 am »
Quote
OK, I get it that such a thing is "hard to find", but I'd like to know: is it impossible to find or just difficult? If impossible, then I'll quit |O and start looking for something else.

I do have non-automatic strippers like the ones suggested, and I think they may go down to 30 AWG; I'll have to check on that.

These look like very close clones of the Knipex job and cost a lot less (even below your ballpark). I am tempted to replace the real Knipex with these - there are a couple of reviews that say they are fragile, but it's Amazon (easy returns) and cheap enough to get several in the lifetime of a more professional tool.
 

Offline ebastler

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7770
  • Country: de
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2024, 08:59:03 am »
So, budget limitations aside -- is there an automatic wire stripper which handles 30 AWG (single strand) with PTFE/Tefzel/Kynar/Kapton insulation reliably?

The Knipex MultiStrip 10 is specified down to 32 AWG, but only standard PVC insulation. Weidmüller's Stripax is only spec'd down to 28 AWG, and seems to compete with the Knipex Precistrip 16 there.

So if one goes "by the book", none of them promises to handle 30 AWG with tougher insulation. In your experience, does one of them do it well nevertheless? Or do you have other recommendations?

EDIT: When I mention "automatic", the most important aspect for me would be that the tool clamps the wire while cutting and pulling off the insulation. I don't mind setting the diameter or tension manually before stripping several or many wires in a row. But with my current manual stripper I often struggle to hold the wire securely -- particularly when I have already soldered one end into place, then cut the wire to length and want to strip the other end.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2024, 02:38:35 pm by ebastler »
 

Offline tooki

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15942
  • Country: ch
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2024, 03:09:52 pm »
The Weidmüller Mini-Duro-Stripax claims to, using special blades. See page 52 of the PDF catalog: https://mdcop.weidmueller.com/awp/A/Weidmueller_Assets/88330

The Ideal Stripmaster line has gazillions of models and options, including special jaws to hold slippery insulation.
 
The following users thanked this post: ebastler


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->