Author Topic: Suggestions Hakko FX-100 vs metcal MX500 or MX5200  (Read 24037 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Suggestions Hakko FX-100 vs metcal MX500 or MX5200
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 08:23:19 pm »
It can be unnerving to hot swap tips as it's driving alot of power  and I can feel it get too hot very fast through the silicone pads.
Turn it off when changing tips!
Quote from: Metcal
1. Make sure the system is turned off.
2. Pull out the cartridge using the Cartridge Removal Pad (MX-CP1). NOTE:
THE TIP CARTRIDGE MAY BE HOT. DO NOT USE METAL TOOLS
(PLIERS, ETC) TO REMOVE CARTRIDGES!
3. Push a new cartridge into the handle.
4. Place hand-piece(s) into associated work stand(s).
5. Push the power switch “ON”. The new cartridge will heat up to temperature
quickly.
No need. The later psus
,5000 and later, auto-reset. You just get used to swapping quickly-you can let go as soon as the tip is seated
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 10:05:45 pm »
It can be unnerving to hot swap tips as it's driving alot of power  and I can feel it get too hot very fast through the silicone pads.
Turn it off when changing tips!
Quote from: Metcal
1. Make sure the system is turned off.
2. Pull out the cartridge using the Cartridge Removal Pad (MX-CP1). NOTE:
THE TIP CARTRIDGE MAY BE HOT. DO NOT USE METAL TOOLS
(PLIERS, ETC) TO REMOVE CARTRIDGES!
3. Push a new cartridge into the handle.
4. Place hand-piece(s) into associated work stand(s).
5. Push the power switch “ON”. The new cartridge will heat up to temperature
quickly.
No need. The later psus
,5000 and later, auto-reset. You just get used to swapping quickly-you can let go as soon as the tip is seated
You can change tips without turning off, but those are the instructions for the current 5000/5200 series, and the above is taken verbatim from their user manuals. This isn't the ass covering over careful approach like the instructions for drills that say to remove the battery before changing bits, its the more practical case of not trying to change bits while the drill is still operating (although you could). Tuning off the power both recommended by the manufacturer and a sensible way to avoid putting excess heat into the tip changing pad.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2016, 10:14:02 pm »
You'd have to hold the tip way longer than necessary to get any heat into the pad. Also, the MX5000 takes a second or two to reset anyway.
The power switch on the 5000 isn't the best so by turning on & off every time you're bound to shorten its life.
I never turn off and change tips multiple times a day - it just isn't an issue

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 12:23:54 am »
You'd have to hold the tip way longer than necessary to get any heat into the pad. Also, the MX5000 takes a second or two to reset anyway.
The power switch on the 5000 isn't the best so by turning on & off every time you're bound to shorten its life.
I never turn off and change tips multiple times a day - it just isn't an issue
You can, its not recommended by the manufacturer and some of us feel its uncomfortably warm. Whats your problem with that? Recommending people don't turn it off is how we've ended up here.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 03:16:10 am »
If the Metcal requires the power to be off when changing tips, then it is notably inferior to both JBC and Pace.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 03:42:12 am »
If the Metcal requires the power to be off when changing tips, then it is notably inferior to both JBC and Pace.
The quick change mechanism on the JBC stands is much better all round, those resistive stations have their advantages to be sure. But for instance Thermaltronics also include the warning to turn off the power supply when changing tips but most users don't bother:

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 10:50:35 am »
It doesn't. If there was any real issue the PSU would be designed to not auto-reset.
The older Metcals didn't auto-reset, but that's probably because they were dumb supplies with no MCU.
If you're paranoid about heat then you can grasp the tip far enough away from the rne that heat is negligible

The following users thanked this post: helius

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 01:54:22 pm »
How power cycling becomes such an argument I'll never know.

*resumes flipping power switch on bulletproof old Metcal*

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 02:47:19 pm »
How power cycling becomes such an argument I'll never know.

*resumes flipping power switch on bulletproof old Metcal*

Yes, a non issue. The requirements of manual resume is for safety, in case you insert a cold tip with bare hands, it would burn your fingers in no time.

A momentary resume push button would be nice though.

Offline coerraceTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2016, 10:55:18 pm »
Anyone know or suggest a cable extension to use between the hand MX-H1-AV and the metcal 5200? Where I will have located the unit I need only like a 15-30 inches more than the default cable maybe. I see the metcal factory cable is a kind of F connector but maybe could work with a simple coaxial cable for TV M-F extensions? This is the reason why ask to know if maybe there is a suggested brand or any recommendation to extend the original factory cable.

Thank you

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2016, 12:04:09 am »
Anyone know or suggest a cable extension to use between the hand MX-H1-AV and the metcal 5200? Where I will have located the unit I need only like a 15-30 inches more than the default cable maybe. I see the metcal factory cable is a kind of F connector but maybe could work with a simple coaxial cable for TV M-F extensions? This is the reason why ask to know if maybe there is a suggested brand or any recommendation to extend the original factory cable.

Thank you

Is the unit in another room?  My problem on my Metcal MX-500 is the cable is TOO long.  I wish it and the cable for my Hakko FX-951 were shorter.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2016, 12:49:50 am »
Yes not exactly other room but a little distant. The unit is located in one intended area for that where I have other tools but the work table is not there and I only to extend just a little.

Offline chucksticks

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2016, 07:15:13 am »

Thank you

Here's an interesting thread on DIY Metcal here on eevblog:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/diy-metcal-13-56-mhz-rf-supply/?all

Towards reply #164 is when they discuss some about the cable although I haven't read through the thread yet.

The following users thanked this post: coerrace

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »

Thank you

Here's an interesting thread on DIY Metcal here on eevblog:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/diy-metcal-13-56-mhz-rf-supply/?all

Towards reply #164 is when they discuss some about the cable although I haven't read through the thread yet.

Thank you

Offline connectionvalidationman

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 09:29:12 pm »
The Metcal iron cord is 72 inches for a reason. The cord length is based on the physics of the operating frequency and its wavelength. You could make a short extension and most likely not affect performance, but make it too long and the system may not meet your soldering expectations.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 09:39:03 pm »
The Metcal iron cord is 72 inches for a reason. The cord length is based on the physics of the operating frequency and its wavelength. You could make a short extension and most likely not affect performance, but make it too long and the system may not meet your soldering expectations.

It's 72 inches because 72 inches is six feet, and six feet is a nominal length in the US.. The exact length of the cable is almost certainly not a factor in performance.

They made switches which add at least a couple feet to the length - nobody seems to have performance issues with those.

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 04:53:15 pm »

It's 72 inches because 72 inches is six feet, and six feet is a nominal length in the US.. The exact length of the cable is almost certainly not a factor in performance.

They made switches which add at least a couple feet to the length - nobody seems to have performance issues with those.
The wavelength of the ~13 MHz ish signal in coax is many times longer than the ~ 2 m cable. I agree that a person could extend with some 75 ohm coax and F connectors without issue.

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2021, 09:47:05 pm »
I have a MX500 and its not as nice as the MX5200.  Thinking about buying a FX-100 as its much cheaper.  Not sure if its worth double the price for a metcal if they are both using same technology.  Is it same level of power output? 

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2021, 07:32:14 pm »
I have a MX500 and its not as nice as the MX5200.  Thinking about buying a FX-100 as its much cheaper.  Not sure if its worth double the price for a metcal if they are both using same technology.  Is it same level of power output? 
Power output comparisons are especially difficult for induction systems, but the MX5200 datasheet says it puts 80 watts into two channels simultaneously. The Hakko FX-100 datasheet says it puts 50 watts into one channel. The FX-100 has some kind of temperature boost setting, which gives it a little more functionality compared to the Metcal. However, it also has Hakko's well-known awkward and overcomplicated button interface (as on the FX-951, FR-810, FM-206...) which many operators will want to throw at the wall.

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2021, 08:23:00 pm »
I ordered one FX-100 and will see how it compares to the MX5200.  Wondering about the Quick 202D model as its super cheap but don't think its true induction soldering iron. 

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2021, 08:50:55 pm »
Power output comparisons are especially difficult for induction systems, but the MX5200 datasheet says it puts 80 watts into two channels simultaneously. The Hakko FX-100 datasheet says it puts 50 watts into one channel. The FX-100 has some kind of temperature boost setting, which gives it a little more functionality compared to the Metcal. However, it also has Hakko's well-known awkward and overcomplicated button interface (as on the FX-951, FR-810, FM-206...) which many operators will want to throw at the wall.

Its 40Wx2 or 80Wx1.
The difference between 40 or 50W and 80W is not much, unless you are working with high thermal demand applications. General soldering will be using <20W.

I ordered one FX-100 and will see how it compares to the MX5200.  Wondering about the Quick 202D model as its super cheap but don't think its true induction soldering iron. 

Quick202D uses true induction, but its 400kHz so not directly compatible with the 13MHz Fx100/mx5200.
Also the heater coil is not in the tip, its in the handle. Similar to the budget tips on the latest Metcal stations, which are also 400kHz.

Clone Hakko tips are incredibly cheap, $10/ea. Metcal tips are about $20/ea.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2021, 12:00:06 am »
We do solder brass parts on the circuit boards. 

Does frequency matter?  I checked my solder robot came with Quick 205H 150W soldering stations.  I need to buy different wand (can't find part number).  I think its induction heating.  Not sure what H means and what difference is between 202/203/204/205.  Does Quick have a manufacturer website?  I came across a poland website but was missing a number of models. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:42:40 am by Reckless »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2021, 05:16:39 pm »
I don't think frequency is really that important on its own.
Here is a PS5000 for $175: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/255165318121

Offline Reckless

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2021, 08:30:44 pm »
What is the difference between PS-5000 and PS-5200? 

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2021, 09:12:43 pm »
What is the difference between PS-5000 and PS-5200?

PS5200 can power both ports at the same time, PS5000 only one port at a time.

The following users thanked this post: Reckless

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf