Author Topic: Tek MSO3054 vs Agilent MSOX 3054 User input please?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline three_jeepsTopic starter

• Contributor
Tek MSO3054 vs Agilent MSOX 3054 User input please?
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:27:36 pm »
I am considering purchasing the 500 MHz version of one of the above scopes.
While I am a practicing EE, well versed in the use of scopes made prior to 1998, I have not used the newer generation of scopes, other than a brief 1.5 hr 'demo' of each unit, so in some respects, I consider myself a 'newbe'.

I'd like some input from ppl that have used one or the other (preferably both) scope to provide some comments about pros and cons, especially the negatives.  I have read through the numbers in comparisons, and the Agilent seems to have a noticeable edge in basic capability (I don't consider the integral FG any sort of an advantage, so I do my evaluation not considering that functionality).

I addition to pros/cons, I am also seeking input on 'useability'...e.g. how easy or hard is it to do signal capture and analysis.  I know this is subjective, but if you ran into road blocks, had to adjust 20 settings just to analyze a trace, etc. that frustrated you, I'd like to hear about it.

I kindly thank you for you time in responding.
BTW, I saw the 32 page thread on the 'review' of the new Agilent 2000x and 3000x, but the thread had two or three themes: numbers comparison,  advertising games wrt cost, and how can this scope be hacked... All of which are interesting but very few posts addressed my questions. 
Also, this scope is intended for a design engineering workbench addressing both analog (not rf) and digital (logic, MCUs, and FPGA based designs).
best regards,
-John

Offline chscholz

• Regular Contributor
    • Hioki USA website
Re: Tek MSO3054 vs Agilent MSOX 3054 User input please?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »
I'd go with a LeCroy WR606Zi.
600 MHz, 10 GS/s sampling rate, 4ch, 16 Mpts per Channel, WXGA Display and the usability/GUI is second to none.

Chris
Don't trust me I work in marketing!

After a few years with LeCroy and R&S I work for HIOKI USA. If there is anything I can help with, please contact me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf