Author Topic: Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?  (Read 11911 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline scratTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 608
  • Country: it
Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:31 am »
Taking apart my HP printer (which suddenly decided not to turn on) I probably found at least one of the problems inside.
A component (maybe a diode) was shorted. I removed it, and tried again to turn on the printer. It seemed to be OK, but an IC was heating too much, and I think I have burnt it.
It is a TI one (SN104961PJP), so I thought "what a luck, it will be easy to order one!". But I still cannot find a datasheet for it, nor an information about what it is for, even if a Chinese shop sells it. On TI's site I can't find anything related...

Is there anyone who knows what this IC is for, and why it has been kept so "secret"?

Thanks,
Sandro
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard
 

Offline Psi

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 12640
  • Country: nz
Re: Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »
the fact that a quick google hasn't found any datasheets is a pretty good sign that the chip is a custom design.
Probably made by TI under contract from HP.
They keep custom made IC's pretty secret so finding info is pretty hard.

i did find this, which may/maynot be useful for you in finding a replacement IC
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/230567646/IC_SN104961PJP.html

If i had to guess i'd say its probably a custom IC with all the logic needed to control the printer.
In huge volume it can be cheaper to get a chip made specially to do one task than to use microcontrollers

if im right ya can pretty much guarantee that any people you find selling the IC wont know what the chip is for or have a datasheet.
Some people just buy/collect old IC stock in the hope of selling a few.

you may find that buying a specialised IC like that + shipping from that kind of place may end up costing close to a new printer.
And we're assuming that that IC is the only fault in your printer, The chip overheating may have been a symptom of another problem or caused by powering up the printer without that diode installed.

It really depends if your goal is to fix your printer or spend some money to play around and learn about fixing electronics.
I dont think its really worth it if its the former, if its the latter, go for it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:52:55 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)
 

Offline scratTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 608
  • Country: it
Re: Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:49:16 pm »
The name "SN..." made me hope it was not a custom IC...
Of course, I cannot be sure the printer will work after replacing the IC, but as a last try I'll open another HP printer to see if there is another of those ICs.
My goal is the both: fixing the printer and learning, but I won't spend too much for it.
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard
 

Offline Psi

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 12640
  • Country: nz
Re: Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 03:38:58 am »
Might be a good idea to search for faulty printers of that make/model on ebay or your local online auction site.
Might be able to pickup a broken printer that has the IC for under $10 and you would also get lots of other spare parts.

You could also try searching for the controller board instead of the IC.
There is often a code for the board as a whole written on it somewhere.

Also fyi, you'd probably have got more posts here if you had created it in the 'general' section instead of the 'product reviews' section
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:42:32 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)
 

Offline scratTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 608
  • Country: it
Re: Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:28:32 am »
I was so focused on the IC not to think about searching for the board, another good suggestion!

I already had got another HP printer to look for the IC or the board, but before taking it apart I tried substituting the diode which caused the fault (I soldered another SMD Schottky, since I'm sure it was into a simple buck converter). Unexpectedly, it worked.
Perhaps it won't be reliable, for two reasons: because of the cooked IC and because I also substituted a cap with a smaller one, since by mistake I removed the original in a bad (disrupting ;) ) way, due to lack of the proper tools.
A quite strange thing is that on the board another cap was emitting some audible noise, something it was "frying", but it was OK.

I opened the thread here because of the description of the section says "if you want to talk about or ask questions for a specific product then do so here". However, it's a good suggestion, if one needs more replies.

Problem solved, however, thanks.
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard
 

Offline reagle

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 564
  • Country: us
    • KuzyaTech
Re: Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 03:31:17 am »
A lot of custom TI parts are actually SN- branded, so that might not be an easy thing ti find :(

Offline scratTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 608
  • Country: it
Re: Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:57:16 am »
I finally discovered a problem (my first tests were not thorough!), so my repair was not complete.
The solution is into another similar printer that I have by hand, where the same IC is mounted. Now I'll desolder it (we have a brand new hot air station at work, I think I will use it), it should solve the problem.
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard
 

Offline Harbor City Electronics

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
Re: Texas Instruments SN104961PJP: what is it?
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 11:02:19 pm »
I have these parts in stock today new TEXAS INSTRUMENTS SN104961PJP, you can buy at Ebay.com/harborcityelectronics
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SN104961PJP-TEXAS-INSTRUMENTS-/121118656397?

 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->