Author Topic: Trustworthy T12 clone soldering stations  (Read 15279 times)

Offline Chris_RTopic starter

• Contributor
Trustworthy T12 clone soldering stations
« on: December 31, 2018, 05:10:59 pm »
I've recently learned about the existence of these Hakko T12 cartridge style soldering stations, and the ton of chinese clones.

I've had a look at some of the clones on AliExpress/Banggood and there's so many out there.  From pics of the internals, I'm not sure I trust some of these makes as I'm guessing each manufacturer has paired a generic controller board with a power supply of their choice, so quality varies wildly.

Voultar on youtube recommends this KSGER station but they currently have a month or so lead time on top of shipping from China.

Does anyone have a specific version that they have experience with and would recommend?

Also does anyone know the difference between the firmware/hardware versions?  I see 2.1S fairly often and a couple of 3.00.

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

Offline Guni

• Regular Contributor
Re: Trustworthy T12 clone soldering stations
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:27:56 pm »
It's not bad,I like it. This assembled version is better then kit in my opinion (power supply and controller board).
BTW On alliex price is much better.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KSGER-T12-Soldering-Station-Iron-Tips-STM32-V2-01-OLED-DIY-Kits-FX9501-Handle-Electric-Tools/32945257770.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.265.30453c00F711EG

Offline Guni

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:01:20 pm »
Does anyone have a specific version that they have experience with and would recommend?

Also does anyone know the difference between the firmware/hardware versions?  I see 2.1S fairly often and a couple of 3.00.
I forgot to answer :-)
There are main 3 versions: 2.1S, 2.01 and 2.0. Form functional point of view all are the same. Main differences are in construction. 2.1S has pump connector and can be adapted for desoldering gun. Version 2.01 has no pump option and has socket direct soldered to pcb. For me most imported is powers supply. This one from the link is probably the best. There is a quite big difference in price between 2.1S and 2.01. Almost 30% more cost 2.1S. In my opinion the best option is 2.01.   

Offline ender4171

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 04:10:07 pm »
Are there any clones like these that can take an actual Hakko iron?  The one that Gunni linked uses a different plug.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:44:28 pm »
Are there any clones like these that can take an actual Hakko iron?  The one that Gunni linked uses a different plug.

The "true" clones that use a hakko case, sure (search for FX951 station on alix). But IMO they are not as good and don't have the advantages of these newer units (more compact, customizable settings, screen).

You'd be better off cutting the Hakko plug off and installing whatever 5 or 6 pin aviation connector to adapt it to the T12 clone.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: ender4171

Offline Corner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 01:47:22 am »

These small compact T12 stations are great. Just get genuine Hakko T12 cartridges are you will be a very happy man!

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 03:58:19 am »
Have you used them? Really a lot of difference?
And, I would avoid KSGER. They've raised the prices while their hardware is crappier each day. Have a look at Quicko...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32994824865.html
31€  free shipping. It's  the same hardware as mine and I can say it's much better than the KSGER crap.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:27:35 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline chinoy

• Regular Contributor
    • RDDreams
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 01:30:15 pm »
I got one it was so good. That I could not imagine my life without it.
So I researched like crazy for days and got this one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000045522658.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.45ab4c4dzVcMt4

Total disappointment.
Every time I go to solder a point or put any kind of pressure on the tip. It gives me an error code.
I tried different tips. Same tips worked fine in my old unit.
The hand pies are sadly not interchangeable.

Good thoughts, Good deeds, Good words.
All the religion you need in life.

Offline totalnoob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 03:39:36 pm »
I got one it was so good. That I could not imagine my life without it.
So I researched like crazy for days and got this one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000045522658.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.45ab4c4dzVcMt4

Total disappointment.
Every time I go to solder a point or put any kind of pressure on the tip. It gives me an error code.
I tried different tips. Same tips worked fine in my old unit.
The hand pies are sadly not interchangeable.

I bought the KSGER "V3.1S" over the summer and am very happy with it, although I am not totally happy with the SS soldering handle, others recommend getting the aluminum with carbon fiber handle and yet others recommend the all black aluminum handle, but for now the SS handle will do until I can replace it.  I would not agree that the KSGER is junk, yes over the years it has been documented they have used cheaper components, but so far I have had no issues with reaching or controlling temperature.  But I have only used clone tips and the stock firmware.  The setting for the tips I have, have been right on the money, I have not needed to calibrate any of the tips (I checked the temperature with a Hakko FG-100 clone).  The only issue, outside of not liking the SS handle, that I have had is when using one of the clone tips for the first time (I don't have real Hakko's to try) is that the tip will not display a temperature, this is an issue that they mention on their Aliexpress page.  After a couple of minutes, the tip will then display the temperature and it worked fine for me after that.  I don't do a lot of soldering, but since getting this, I have now done some things that I had put off or would not have done previously due to it being a pain with my old soldering iron. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf