Author Topic: What are your EDC Tools?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
What are your EDC Tools?
« on: June 07, 2023, 05:35:37 am »
Sell me on a better pocket EDC knife than the Victorinox Minichamp

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: What are your EDC Tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:54:33 am »

The following users thanked this post: bookaboo, thm_w, asis, ygi

Offline asis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 10:04:04 am »
I won't sell!

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 01:24:16 pm »
My very basic EDC

Simple foldable tool from aliexpress $10 (Leatherman Wingman is my favourite, lost it, to expensive currently to buy again)
Gift notes book given from supplier + Pentel P205 0.5mm
Lumintop AA (I like to have my gear with clips held to my pocket, easy to reach)
Pilot 0.7mm simple click PEN ($2 pen or so).
My daily Galaxy Classic 6

Backpack and wallet not show, but I try to carry as little as possible
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 07:27:23 pm by rvalente »

Online armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 07:20:53 pm »
I try to make it as hard as possible for myself, to fix anything  :palm:  without the proper tool, carrying mostly junk - however I did once buy a sort of multi-tool penknife, for next to nothing, from either a D.I.Y. store or an early discount bargain basement shop.

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 06:38:36 pm »
https://www.tecaccessories.com/products/pixel-ti-keychain-flashlight

it has to be really small to be valid because I am not going into the congo

the knife that might be better is https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/997666-REG/leatherman_831219_style_multi_tool_black.html because its 1 oz lighter from 1.6 to 0.8 oz but its discontinued

1.6oz on a keychain is just too much. tweezer knife scissor get rid of all problems that effect the body you don't need cuticlal pusher, weird safety knife (keep it sharp and you can use the normal knife for fine work like a scapel).

now i wonder if i can jam a pen segment into the leatherman style
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 06:56:45 pm by coppercone2 »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 06:54:19 pm »
Victorinox Forester here.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2024, 06:02:55 pm »
They don't make mine anymore but it's very like a Ranger without the hook and one really small flat screwdriver on the back, but add in a magnifying glass, fish scaler and Philips screw driver on the front.  It's called the "Officer"  I have had it for 40 years.  The tweezers went missing about 20 years ago..

Did a bit more research.  It's actually the "Champion (c)" which came in various configurations over time.  My particular configuration was available between 1980 and 1985.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 09:02:12 pm by BillyO »
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2024, 06:58:46 pm »
Some of the accessories are just so silly, like the fish scaler.  How many times have you been in an unexpected emergency fish scaling situation with only your EDC pocket knife to save the day? 

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2024, 07:09:47 pm »
Why would it need to be an emergency?

I have personally never used it for scaling fish as I can fillet pretty well, but I have used it for a quick measurements and removing fish hooks.
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2024, 08:59:23 pm »
the magnifying glass is cool because while it might be able to start a fire, it can also help with an annoying splinter. Those are like the most debilitating but easy to deal with if you have the tools injuries there are.

The following users thanked this post: BillyO

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2024, 09:33:52 pm »
Why would it need to be an emergency?

I feel like if you knew you were going fishing (or cooking fish), you would just bring all the supplies you needed for that.  The whole point of EDC is being "prepared" for the unexpected while on the go.. which in this case would be an unexpected fish scaling emergency.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2024, 09:50:12 pm »
https://www.tecaccessories.com/products/pixel-ti-keychain-flashlight
it has to be really small to be valid because I am not going into the congo

Yeah, I don't understand big EDC's, unless you need one as an actual work tool, in whcih case you'd have a belt clip or something.
My Minichamp is not only small enough to fit inside my fob pocket (my definition of EDC), but fit sideways in the fob pocket, still leaving room for coins and other stuff.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2024, 09:54:03 pm »
Watch this, I will literary steal like at least 2 evenings from you with this link.

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tool+List

Did you know they had a torch lighter ?

and your emergency ORANGE PEELER when you need to make a chef grade fruit platter

I want a cheese knife and a parmasan scraper. the victornox cheese. There is 4 common types of cheese knives, then you have graters
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:03:10 pm by coppercone2 »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2024, 09:58:49 pm »
Some of the accessories are just so silly, like the fish scaler.  How many times have you been in an unexpected emergency fish scaling situation with only your EDC pocket knife to save the day?

I thought thats a back scratcher

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2024, 10:02:44 pm »
I've always been a belt wearer so mine, though a bit bigger than the mini knives (which I find of limited use), fits into this little pouch that hangs on my belt at my hip.  You don't even feel it there.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2024, 10:03:40 pm »
Gerber Dime
- Just a small multi-tool with pliers. It includes an inverted angle hook blade for tearing open that annoying heat-sealed plastic packaging.

Gerber Artifact
- solid metal prybar with a blade (It uses a standard type of replaceable blade)  Great for opening boxes.

Generic AAA LED light.

Metal Cased 256GB USB stick
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:17:45 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2024, 10:06:51 pm »
be careful with that artifact, I read it can open up in your pants and try to cut your balls off. Alot of shit was talked about that tool, I think i even saw pictures of some graphic injuries

That is something nice about the style keychain knife, because the blade is hard to open. I have the smallest of prybars on the keychain (titanium, same size as the width of a key and that long) that I can open the knife with. I think its good that its stiff. I have seen keychains do crazy shit when the angles are correct for the keys

As for the fish scaler,
"A novel usage for the fish-scaler is for Halloween pumpkin carving; the wide serrations are apparently ideal and because the tool is safe for younger carvers it might even be the best suited tool for the job ever! The shallow serrations can also be useful on soft materials, like styrofoam, that could clog up a sharper saw.

The forked tip can also be used as an impromptu cocktail fork, or key for paper towel dispensers or other insecure locks. The fish-scaler can also be used as a non-sharp prodding tool, if needed, as most other tools on a Swiss Army Knife are sharp. "

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:09:28 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2024, 10:09:04 pm »
As for the fish scaler,
"A novel usage for the fish-scaler is for Halloween pumpkin carving; the wide serrations are apparently ideal and because the tool is safe for younger carvers it might even be the best suited tool for the job ever! The shallow serrations can also be useful on soft materials, like styrofoam, that could clog up a sharper saw.

The forked tip can also be used as an impromptu cocktail fork, or key for paper towel dispensers or other insecure locks. The fish-scaler can also be used as a non-sharp prodding tool, if needed, as most other tools on a Swiss Army Knife are sharp. "
LOL!  I'll try to remember these!

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2024, 10:09:52 pm »
its what they use in swiss universities to steal toilet paper

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2024, 10:10:18 pm »
be careful with that, I read it can open up in your pants and try to cut your balls off. Alot of shit was talked about that tool

You can't buy Gerber Artifacts any more sadly, but they are so useful.

I only put 'used' blades on my Gerber Artifact. The new blades go on a different tool and the Gerber Artifact gets its old blade.
I find doing this makes it a little safer. It has never "opened up" in my pocket (it has a latch), but once or twice i accidently put it back into my pocket with the blade out.

So it's best if it's not razor sharp, and for what i do with it (open boxes) doesn't need to be. So it only gets used blades.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:18:26 pm by Psi »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2024, 10:13:10 pm »
they made this version now that is more like a box cutter

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools/prybrid-x-od-green-31-003739

IDK anyway I almost bought it like 10 years ago but the review scared me. that's just not worth it for me

And is it spring detent? I also have seen those springs corrode and break, which would leave it loose

lol, people here seem to have alot of incidents with this bad boy
https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/comments/13lpr7o/gerber_artifact_discontinued/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:15:53 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2024, 10:21:43 pm »
They made this version now that is more like a box cutter
https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools/prybrid-x-od-green-31-003739

That actually looks pretty nice.

Yeah, it's just a metal leaver spring that falls into a detent in the knife part to hold it shut, but it seems pretty robust, You have to put enough force on it to open that i'm not worried about it opening in my pocket.  But if the spring ever breaks i will replace it.

TBH i reckon most people who say it opened in their pocket actually put it back in their pocket open without realizing.
It's easy to do if you're using the knife and then put your keys down then grab them later on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 10:23:47 pm by Psi »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2024, 11:09:47 pm »
alright god damnit who else wants to go back in time 1 week and eat rice only to buy some of this victornox hardware. I blew my toy budget on optics related stuff and maintence luxuries
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 11:12:40 pm by coppercone2 »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2024, 11:36:49 pm »
this one gives the style a run for the money
https://www.victorinox.com/en-US/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Small-Pocket-Knives/Nail-Clip-580/p/0.6463

but its still heavier. but it looks like it will stay cleaner. and you can disarm nuclear weapons with the nail clipper. Still a little heavy. I wanna know how it does cutting wires lol

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf