Author Topic: Dielectric insert tool for RG405 SMA plugs  (Read 1370 times)

Offline alan.bainTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Dielectric insert tool for RG405 SMA plugs
« on: April 29, 2024, 02:55:57 pm »
I've been trying to fit some Macom SMA connectors (1050770-1) to RG405 and clearly need to a dielectric insert tool.  I found a set of AMP instructions which includes a drawing of the tool (attached - found on the TE website) but I'm pretty sure it isn't to scale as it doesn't look like it would work as the pusher looks too short.

I've paradoxically got the Huber+Suhner toolkit for RG405 N connectors so have the stripping tools and soldering jig and wonder if anyone has the dielectric tool for SMA connectors if they could share a picture or a dimensioned drawing so I can make one on the nearest lathe. 

These connectors are slightly unusual (at least to me) in that the centre pin doesn't have a shoulder (as shown in the Times Microwave illustration marked no shoulder at reference plane).  I'm not sure I understand how this works as I always though this was part of the constant impedance design of the connector.

Alan

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 06:00:54 pm by alan.bain »

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
Re: Dielectric insert tool for RG405 SMA plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 01:19:53 am »
Personally I hate using such connectors and would rather pay more for the connectors that don't require dielectric insertion (e.g. Amphenol 901-10708 could be used) but if it's large quantities that could get expensive.

I have a dielectric insertion tool part code 2098-5214-02. Unfortunately, I cannot tell what could be different about it compared to the one you're looking for.

If that part code is usable for you (e.g. if there are low-cost connectors that use that part code instead), I can measure it with calipers and provide the dimensions.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 11:02:18 am »
Well the latest set of Spectracom/Macom tools contains the tools 2098-5215-02 and 2098-5214-02 and claims to work for my connector, so since 2098-5215-02 is for the wrong gender it looks like 2098-5214-02 must work so yes, if you had time a few dimensions would be very useful.  Obviously no need to measure the threads as I know they will be 1/4x36 UNS and I have dies/taps.

Agree that the type with the Be-Cu spring fingers in the center piece are much easier to use, but they also cost a lot more which becomes an issue for experimental assemblies which need a lot of them...

Alan

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 02:04:00 pm »
Hi Alan,

I've attached photos and I think all relevant dimensions below. I didn't have a large enough micrometer, so I've used these DIN862 calipers. Hopefully the measurements are OK, but if you are really stuck, if you can send me a direct message somehow, with your address, I don't mind posting the dielectric insert tool to you for say a week or two since I use it infrequently.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 03:39:21 pm »
Thanks - that is amazingly useful!  I should be able to make up one of those from your drawings. Thanks also for the very kind offer of a loan as well - but since I'm in the UK it might not be so easy!

Alan

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 08:04:37 pm »
Sorry I should have mentioned, I'm in the UK, so am happy to post it if required, if you have not kicked off your lathe yet! : )

Offline fant

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 07:54:07 am »
These two are from my set.
For the male you have to wait  because now I am busy.

Mandi

Offline fant

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 08:42:09 am »
This is my set.

The following users thanked this post: alan.bain

Offline fant

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 01:31:14 pm »
And the following for the male one.
The threaded cap can be taken from any SMA male connector (as the spring).

Mandi

The following users thanked this post: alan.bain

Online Harry_22

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 03:14:28 pm »
When making cable adapters use a similar tool from H+S 74 Z-0-0-70 set. But with single samples it is quite possible to do without it.
It is much more important to have a convenient cable stripper. The simplest one is in the picture as well as prepared cable MULTIFLEX 141.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Miek

Offline mag_therm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 04:09:13 pm »
Hi alan.bain,
I would like to ask why you selected the pin option, and not the easier cable core option, with maybe better structural return loss, (at top of Fig 8 in you o/p)
The coax you are using is of silver plated core , isn't it?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 11:49:31 am »
That illustration I think is for RG402 cable - where the centre coax size is the right diameter for centre pin. I wanted to use RG405, but that illustration was all that I could find that showed the un stepped pin. Also I had 25 of these to fit for a home project, so cost became a consideration (or I would have used the type of plug with Be-Cu spring fingers which doesn't have a separate dielectric as they are much easier to fit).

I've got the H+S coax stripper which is really very helpful and the assembly jig (because it's basically the same as the one for N connectors) - have made up my own alignment tool for SMA on lathe as it's slightly different.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf