Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

getting a cheap aliepress radio to work.

(1/5) > >>

p.larner:
i have a cheap ali sdr radio,says :RSP1 10KHz-1GHz Portable SDR Receiver Msi2500 Msi001 Simplified SDR Reciver Amateur Radio,it works ok with windows,but i cant get it to work with my tab,the seller says it also works with android but i cant get it to work with my samsung galaxy phone or tab,any ideas?,its like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006697235070.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.37.78704db4rIA6AY&algo_pvid=2ffacf95-467b-48a9-9b15-e5c6cef091ea&algo_exp_id=2ffacf95-467b-48a9-9b15-e5c6cef091ea-18&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21GBP%2134.18%2115.72%21%21%2142.28%2119.45%21%40211b600217105763782103044ea50b%2112000038035510912%21sea%21UK%212308464272%21&curPageLogUid=WkgOecQovNIM&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch%7Cquery_from%3A

radiolistener:
I suggest you to buy RTLSDRv4 it has better signal quality, less CPU power requirement and better software support for different platforms, include linux and android.

RSP receivers are based on MSi chipset which had proprietary drivers with different non fixable issues and didn't supported well on different platforms.

p.larner:
thanks for the reply,are you saying its not possible to use it on an android device then?.

A.Z.:
oh, it will work on Linux (and probably Android too); just a matter of reading the infos on the SDRPlay site regarding the setup on those systems

shabaz:
Hi,
By coincidence, I tried that device (or a very similar one; the photo of the insides is below) a couple of months ago, too. By 'works OK on Windows', do you mean you successfully demodulated a transmission, or that you got a noisy spectrum view? I got the latter and ended up wondering if the software had detected that it was not a genuine RSP-1 device and silently was not configuring it appropriately. I didn't test for long and uninstalled.

I eventually got it to work with Windows and an open-source driver (long process) and successfully tuned it to an FM station, but the reception was extremely poor (I didn't try other bands). I played with the software and even took a VNA to the input and confirmed when it was selecting the input (the impedance changes). I even tried replacing the entire input filter/matching on the input. The current assumption (no full conclusion as of yet) was that something in the design was not right, it could even be noise from the connected PC not being adequately suppressed in the design, but I don't know what for sure, and there's only finite time available for troubleshooting (it would have been cheaper to buy a RSP-1 device than the time spent; but I'm not too keen having realized that MSI chipset inside it wasn't intended for anything much other than what a cheap RTL-SDR was intended for.
I've reverted back to using a RTL-SDR device whenever there's a need to quickly look at parts of the spectrum. The RTL-SDR plays nice with Windows and Android software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version