Author Topic: Miniature hardline coax bender source in the US?  (Read 5677 times)

Offline CubdriverTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Miniature hardline coax bender source in the US?
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:50:48 pm »
Hi All -

I have a need to make bends in some miniature hardline (RG 405), and am looking for a tool to do so.  I found something that would be perfect:

https://www.rfshop.com.au/tools/for-semi-rigid-cable/cable-bender-semi-rigid-rg402-0-141-rg402bender.html, unfortunately for me it seems to be available in Australia and the UK.  Does anyone know of something similar that might be available in the US?  My searches thus far have been fruitless; have looked at Mouser, DK, Rio Grande (jewelry tools) and various other places that have turned up in searches using various combinations of terms.  Nothing like it shows up.

Before I go trying to make something similar, does anyone have any suggestions as to a US source for something like this?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thanks.

Best

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: Miniature hardline coax bender source in the US?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:14:59 pm »
Hi All -

I have a need to make bends in some miniature hardline (RG 405), and am looking for a tool to do so.  I found something that would be perfect:

https://www.rfshop.com.au/tools/for-semi-rigid-cable/cable-bender-semi-rigid-rg402-0-141-rg402bender.html, unfortunately for me it seems to be available in Australia and the UK.  Does anyone know of something similar that might be available in the US?  My searches thus far have been fruitless; have looked at Mouser, DK, Rio Grande (jewelry tools) and various other places that have turned up in searches using various combinations of terms.  Nothing like it shows up.

Before I go trying to make something similar, does anyone have any suggestions as to a US source for something like this?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thanks.

Best

-Pat

Damn at that price I should make some, I thought Swagelok tube benders were expensive

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:20:55 pm »
Is that not simply a tubing bender? e.g. http://www.mcmaster.com/#2492a12/=13l02sz

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »
Is that not simply a tubing bender? e.g. http://www.mcmaster.com/#2492a12/=13l02sz

Tim

I don't think mcmaster has one that'll work on 2mm ;)

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 09:30:43 pm »
The smallest tubing benders that seem to be readily available are for 1/8" diameter tubing, and this stuff is 0.0875" dia.  It's important to keep the cross section as even and round as possible because if it bends out of shape it buggers up the cable's impedance.  Unfortunately no joy at McMac - they were my first stop.

-Pat

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:06:51 am »
Hobby or model shops may have tubing benders for small diameter brass tubing.

If you get desperate, you might be able to do it by snaking a tight steel spring around the tubing.

http://www.micromark.com/5-piece-spring-type-tube-bender-set,7048.html

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 05:24:37 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, folks.  Yes, EVB, supporting it in a groove as it's bent so it doesn't distort is the key.  I'll look into the Winton Machine tool, which looks like a baby version of the Swagelok ones I have at home for tubing and is doubtless as frightfully expensive as they are.  I suppose if all else fails there's a simple one piece one made by Tyco that DK and Mouser both stock.  That RFShop one looks like it would be perfect - perhaps I'll try to cobble something like that up.

Appreciate the input.

-Pat

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 05:48:55 am »
I have a rigid cable kit at work that includes a couple of dies (more correctly, forms) to bend the cable. I'll take a picture next time I'm in. It's very simple compared to the pipe/conduit benders linked to above - no rollers, just a rounded groove cut into a piece of steel. It shouldn't be too hard to machine with a 2.5D mill.

I still use the kit, even though we've moved on to using RG-402SR and RG-405SR "semi-flex" instead of the rigid stuff. Much easier to work with.

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 06:28:40 am »
I have a rigid cable kit at work that includes a couple of dies (more correctly, forms) to bend the cable. I'll take a picture next time I'm in. It's very simple compared to the pipe/conduit benders linked to above - no rollers, just a rounded groove cut into a piece of steel. It shouldn't be too hard to machine with a 2.5D mill.

I still use the kit, even though we've moved on to using RG-402SR and RG-405SR "semi-flex" instead of the rigid stuff. Much easier to work with.

Cool, thanks.

-Pat

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 03:53:06 pm »
I've made things like this for a hell of a lot less than that price.  All it takes is a few rollers of varying size with grooves in them.  The grooves can be 'V' shaped or filleted, preferred.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf