Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 470940 times)

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #775 on: February 28, 2021, 07:43:56 pm »
Looking in the area of 80 to 140MHz on the V2+4, there are two spurs rather than the one seen with the V2+.   The frequency is a little off between the two VNAs.   More interesting is the V2+ spur  would show up at random times, the spurs seen with the V2+4 are always present.    As with the V2+, it doesn't appear to be a local source.   

@joesmith,

I can't duplicate the spurs that you see on my V2+4. The first time I tried, there was a clear single spur around 136MHz, but after a power cycle, it was gone. After each power cycle I get (or not) different spurs in different places. See below.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:46:25 pm by Miti »
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #776 on: February 28, 2021, 10:16:21 pm »
I wonder if you were to increase the number of sample points like I show if you would see two of them.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3352770/#msg3352770

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #777 on: March 01, 2021, 01:07:25 am »
Wouldn’t reducing the span achieve the same thing? Unless these spurs are dependent on frequency and span settings and the moon phase, which I’ve seen on an HP SA at work (there’s an internal spur that shows up only at a narrow range of center frequency and span settings), reducing the span around the frequencies of interest would give me more resolution.

Edit: The forum does whatever it wants when posting from mobile. I couldn't get it to attach two different pictures. Now should be correct.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:18:58 am by Miti »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #778 on: March 01, 2021, 01:55:15 am »
I have no idea but if you wanted to try and replicate what I have, I would start with the same settings.  If you like, I could also try running mine in other configurations as well.   

I haven't seen the V2+4 available for some time.   We are now waiting to see one of these 6GHz units on the market.   

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #779 on: March 01, 2021, 02:09:01 am »
How do I do that, I thought you don’t share your SW.

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #780 on: March 01, 2021, 11:41:27 pm »
Here are some screen shot using the crappy "VNA View" with 401 and 600 points.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:50:43 pm by Miti »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #781 on: March 06, 2021, 11:00:20 pm »
Ever wonder how much torque it takes to rip an end launch connector off a circuit board? 

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Kean

Offline DrNefario

• Contributor
« Reply #782 on: March 07, 2021, 07:47:04 pm »
Great work!  Thank you very much.  I successfully installed the NanoVNA V2 Plus ver 0.10 and ran the setup.
I know that the manual says that the software supports both the NanoVNA V2+ and V2+4, however I see from some of the posts (i.e. reply # 716, 3p68xtal_originalNano.PNG ) that the original NanoVNA seemed to have some support.  I have the original and not the V2+ or V2+4 yet. I would like to add a transfer relay to be able to get 4-port S-Parms, so I tried to run with v0.10 and don't get the green light on the "Link" command button.  It does seem able to communicate with it as in the status window I see "NanoVNA V240+,Protocol 241, FW 243.244".  Note that I had upgraded the FW a couple of times and have been using it with NanoVNA-Saver.
My question: is there any way to get this to work with your software or is support for the original not planned?  - Maybe with different firmware?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #783 on: March 07, 2021, 10:56:15 pm »
Dr Nefario,

Great work!  Thank you very much.  I successfully installed the NanoVNA V2 Plus ver 0.10 and ran the setup.
I know that the manual says that the software supports both the NanoVNA V2+ and V2+4, however I see from some of the posts (i.e. reply # 716, 3p68xtal_originalNano.PNG ) that the original NanoVNA seemed to have some support.

You are correct that the manual mentions and this thread certainly covers that I did write some software to support the original Nano.    You are also correct that my manual states:

•   Supports both the NanoVNA V2+ and V2+4

It also states in the scope:

This software can be viewed as an engineering tool at best.  Its primary use was to extend the author's understanding of V2+.  It was never intended to be used as a general tool for radio hobbyist to tune their antennas.  The software is fairly buggy and not very robust.  Even under normal conditions, expect to run into several problems if attempting to use this software. It’s a very poor choice for the beginner. 

I will assume that paragraph doesn't pertain to you personally. 

I have the original and not the V2+ or V2+4 yet. I would like to add a transfer relay to be able to get 4-port S-Parms, so I tried to run with v0.10 and don't get the green light on the "Link" command button. 

Seems normal.  I didn't try to run this software with anything except what the manual calls out.  Were you expecting something else to happen?

It does seem able to communicate with it as in the status window I see "NanoVNA V240+,Protocol 241, FW 243.244".  Note that I had upgraded the FW a couple of times and have been using it with NanoVNA-Saver.

Both the original and the V2 Plus/4 do use USB and both simulate the old RS-232 comm ports.  So assuming that's what you mean by the software being able to communicate with it, then it sure can.    We are both humans.  I speak English.  If you spoke another language, there may be some crossover where I may understand you once in a while.  I guess we could call that communicating as well.   We humans go beyond what simple software can do.  We can actually learn in some cases.  Over time our communications may improve.   I doubt you will see this with the software.   Were you expecting otherwise?

My question: is there any way to get this to work with your software or is support for the original not planned?  - Maybe with different firmware?

Because the word "works" has lost much of its meaning lets say that it is certainly possible that if firmware were written for the original NanoVNA  to support the same protocol as the V2+, it would indeed work, at least to the degree of how well the firmware was written.   That would be true for ANY device, not just the original NanoVNA. 

From what I understand,  the open source software for the nano is very good.   It has a large support group and is actually something put together for the amateur/CB radio group.  The whole idea with it being open source is YOU can change it.   If software isn't your thing,  I suggest you start by politely asking the developers  to add what ever features you want.  This way everyone benefits.     

If you really want to evaluate my software, the obvious thing to do would be to procure one of the supported products.   I have no plans to support the older hardware at this time. 

I have been following some of the development of the newer low cost VNAs.  One in particular seems very interesting.  If something like this becomes available, I would most likely procure one to review and make and software I write for it available for free as well.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:00:30 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #784 on: March 10, 2021, 04:32:03 pm »
I have been following some of the development of the newer low cost VNAs.  One in particular seems very interesting.

Which VNA might that be? :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #785 on: March 10, 2021, 05:42:47 pm »
I have been following some of the development of the newer low cost VNAs.  One in particular seems very interesting.

Which VNA might that be? :)

https://github.com/jankae/VNA

https://github.com/jankae/VNA2

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan, Kean

• Super Contributor
« Reply #787 on: March 12, 2021, 01:17:04 pm »
I'm looking for most stable (bug free, robust) firmware for the original NanoVNA hardware.  The firmware I am using today is something one of the local members was working on several months back. 
What's the hot ticket?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #788 on: March 13, 2021, 08:43:55 pm »
An updated draft of the manual is available that provides additional details when using the original Nano to characterize crystals.   

The following users thanked this post: purpose

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #789 on: March 14, 2021, 08:55:26 pm »
Mr. Smith... I present your/my crystal fixture.
Have to make some calibration jobbies, but seems to be about right.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #790 on: March 14, 2021, 11:29:48 pm »
Looking good.   If you perform a normal SOLT. then insert the fixture with the crystal socket shorted, what does the response look like from say 500KHz to 50MHz? 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #791 on: March 15, 2021, 12:47:46 am »
Not sure which charts you wanted.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #792 on: March 15, 2021, 12:16:22 pm »
S21 log mag.  Your 6-7dBish from 500K to 25MHz is close to my jig.   What frequency range do you require? 

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #793 on: March 15, 2021, 01:50:25 pm »
Morning,
Right now I'm not looking to go beyond 10MHz.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #794 on: March 15, 2021, 05:31:38 pm »
For your particular range, I assume that's your lower limit as well, which shouldn't be a problem.  You just want to play with your 10MHz crystals is all.   

If you want to sort out the question on if your Nano supports the original command set, I would just fire up a dumb terminal program.  I use TeraTermPro but it's not important.  Select 8,N,1.  BAUD rate isn't important.   Connect to your Nano and type "help" without the quotes.    Mine will return the following: (see attached)

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #795 on: March 15, 2021, 06:39:18 pm »
Cheers.
Mine returns something different.

But dropping back to the previous firmware gives me this.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:01:31 pm by purpose »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #796 on: March 15, 2021, 11:21:04 pm »
What was the reason you loaded the newer firmware?   

For the original NanoVNA, my software uses the following commands:

freq
info
data
sweep (start, stop, center, span)
reset
frequencies
recall

As long as they were smart enough to keep the format the same for all of these, it may just work.

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #797 on: March 15, 2021, 11:28:51 pm »
Mr. Smith,

What was the reason you loaded the newer firmware? 
Just to see what it was all about and to see if I could do it without bricking it.

As long as they were smart enough to keep the format the same for all of these, it may just work.
Here's hoping, but if not, I could maybe flash the same firmware that you're running.
My pcb is rev 3.4

Peter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #798 on: March 15, 2021, 11:49:25 pm »
We can cross that bridge when we come to it.   The firmware you are running may be more stable than what I have.   

Once I have a little time, I will go through and functional test the new versions of software.   Hopefully, I can upload them over the weekend and make a quick video walking you through how it's done.   

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #799 on: March 15, 2021, 11:53:25 pm »
Marvellous... Thank you.

Peter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf