Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 465042 times)

Offline ALW

• Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1275 on: August 30, 2021, 02:40:16 pm »
You were right. I did my "pendulum" experiment with a slowly swinging iron suspended from the ceiling with a 1m chord as radar reflector. The graph shows the S21 phase in red, the analysis of video of the swing of the iron (using a program called kinovea) in blue. So the time base for the blue curve is the video frame rate of 30 fps. Result: The sampling rate of the NanoV2+4 is 400 Hz at 2.4 GHz CW with 101 points per "sweep", as advertised in the manual.
(The superimposed swing in the radar phase comes from a circular swinging movement of the iron, the blue curve shows only 1D)

So I guess in your stepped interval expt switching frequency was referencing to a full switching period (on/off).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:03:18 pm by ALW »

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1276 on: August 30, 2021, 03:23:03 pm »
Glad that things are starting to make some sense. 

So I guess in your stepped interval expt switching frequency was referencing to a full switching period (on/off).

100Hz is a period of 10ms.  It's a 50% duty cycle, so for 5ms the switch is on and 5ms its off.   Think of it as a single pole single throw switch across port 1&2.   System was not calibrated as we are interested in time. 

It will be interesting to see how people will  feel about you suggesting you are pointing a microwave radar system at them.   :-DD  Will suggesting it's -20dB have any effect?  Of course the same people who claim you caused all their heath problems, will jump on their cell phones for hours at a time with their wireless ear buds plugged in.   :-DD

Once you are certain of your findings, you may want to reply in the groups.io.   It may help prevent spreading misinformation.   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:26:37 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline ALW

• Contributor
« Reply #1277 on: August 30, 2021, 03:34:00 pm »
It is medically totally innocent. First, the only effect a cm wave has on the body is heating. The power used here is less than Wifi, BT etc., and heating is not measurable. Sitting in the sun is way worse in this respect. 2nd, as you can see, the waves are totally reflected at the conductive skin surface.

There were however some nasty accidents in the early times of radar (40s) when workers were doing stuff on the roof in front of active kW antennas at lower freqs where reflection is incomplete. They were effectively fried, and because humans have no temp sense inside the body they did not notice until some hours later when it was too late...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:42:54 pm by ALW »

Offline ALW

• Contributor
« Reply #1278 on: August 30, 2021, 03:56:31 pm »
Once you are certain of your findings, you may want to reply in the groups.io.   It may help prevent spreading misinformation.   
Good point. Done.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1279 on: August 30, 2021, 07:00:25 pm »
You should be putting together a little video showing your efforts. 

I did my "pendulum" experiment with a slowly swinging iron suspended from the ceiling with a 1m chord as radar reflector.
We can then see your soldering iron, clothes iron, golf iron..... hanging from the ceiling and swaying.     
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 12:05:49 pm by joeqsmith »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1280 on: August 30, 2021, 09:43:18 pm »
I have released 2.06 for the original NanoVNA which included the units case corrections and colored fonts for the range selected.   Again, minimal testing was done on this version.

The following users thanked this post: croma641, ALW

Offline ALW

• Contributor
« Reply #1281 on: August 31, 2021, 01:50:14 pm »
A bit more detail on the slow pendulum radar experiment with the Nano2+4 at CW 2.4GHz:
Centered IQ by nulling the DC, then unwrapping the atan2 phase with 2pi. The nano seems quite stable in frequency and phase, pretty low noise (Wifi was on!), and is drawing nice circles. Unfiltered complex S21 polar over 15 s below.
Then horizontal displacement taken from video in blue (not taken simultaneously) and the 10Hz filtered phase in red. Video rate was 30fps, sampling rate of the Nano is 400 Hz.
Last unfiltered S21 phase (now unwrapped and quadrature corrected).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 01:57:42 pm by ALW »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1282 on: August 31, 2021, 02:23:57 pm »
What is the target you are using and can you explain the video?   

Offline ALW

• Contributor
« Reply #1283 on: August 31, 2021, 02:57:23 pm »
Target is an old iron appr. 1kg, swinging/suspended from the ceiling with appr. 1 m chord. Amplitude appr. 4 cm. The 1st image is a still from the video, the lower corner was marked and tracked in kinovea to record it's horizontal movement.

The iron is reflecting the radar beam from a Vivaldi antenna connected to port 1 visible in the 2nd image upper right corner. Reception of reflected signal with a stub dipole connected to port 2.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 02:58:58 pm by ALW »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1284 on: August 31, 2021, 03:48:40 pm »
....video frame rate of 30 fps...

And how does the camera with it's 30fps fit in?   How do you get the signal off of it?

Hey, you have that new software loaded and running! 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:04:34 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline ALW

• Contributor
« Reply #1285 on: August 31, 2021, 04:30:46 pm »
Its done with a software called Kinovea, normally used by sports physiologists to track the movement of joints and arms/ legs in video: https://www.kinovea.org/

You can place a marker on a feature in the video and it will track that corner / contour and create a displacement/time diagram. Cool software, I (ab)used it for tuning the suspension of my motorbike  :-DD
This type of image analysis is btw based on IFFT of the image to get into the space domain.

Thats how I created the blue curve. The horizontal displacement is in pixels per second, but I do not care about the amplitude of the movement, only about the time base which is now the frame rate of the phone camera. Amplitude I have already in the phase shift of S21, which is appr. 6.2 cm (half wavelength) for 360° shift because the beam goes forth and back.

Of course I have your SW running, couldn't do all this without it!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:03:14 pm by ALW »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1286 on: August 31, 2021, 08:29:24 pm »
I just assumed that was your math library.  That is some very slick software and now I can see I have one more thing to look into. 

You still ride a motorbike?  I have a bit of a 2-wheel addiction myself.   They can be a lot of fun. 

Offline ALW

• Contributor
« Reply #1287 on: August 31, 2021, 08:35:41 pm »
Yup

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1288 on: August 31, 2021, 09:01:18 pm »
Very nice bike.     

A couple of old geezers with sport bikes playing with their VNAs...   :-DD
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:06:11 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline ALW

• Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: August 31, 2021, 09:05:17 pm »
It has a lot of character. When you open the throttle she is tilting to the side for the inertia of the longitudinal crankshaft  ;D  Becomes second nature after a while to steer this out... I love them naked and air-cooled, and I love torque in the low revs.
Yours is a real hotrod!
As long as we are playing with bikes and waves, we are alive... Toys tend to get more complex with age
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:24:50 pm by ALW »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1290 on: August 31, 2021, 09:30:16 pm »
I was talking with a friend the other day about the late Angus McPhail.  You can't have a discussion about off the spectrum bikes without including him.    :-DD 

And for those who have never heard of the Jade Warrior,  have a look.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1291 on: September 01, 2021, 12:35:02 am »
A good transfer relay may set you back more than $500 so I can understand trying to find cheaper alternatives.  Attached are two circuits.   

Circuit 1 uses a DPDT coaxial switch and a couple of tees.   
Circuit 2, my personal favorite, uses two VNAs with a couple of tees.

Assuming that the goal is to work within the full frequency range of the NanoVNA and no loss of performance,  how many potential problems can you identify?

For a more details
https://nanorfe.com/forum/T-Check-with-LabView-NanoVNA.html
DPDT switch being proposed for circuit 1
https://www.rfparts.com/72-2-p.html

For circuit 1 we are talking about a manual switch.  Without major modifications, it would be difficult to automate.   I had seen a video with a guy hooking up an actual transfer relay to a NanoVNA but they also had no way to control or calibrate it.   My old 8754As test set has two buttons on the front to select the direction which I am sure many people used back then.  My software will control a transfer relay and allow you to calibrate with one in the signal path but there are no provisions for a manually controlled one.   Someone would need to add support to the open sourced projects.  While having to manually change the state may not be the most effective way to work,  it doesn't really degrade the performance.    So, no points given for that one. 

Additional points awarded for coming up with your own circuit.   Swapping the cables is a negative points.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:52:35 am by joeqsmith »

Offline jimlux

« Reply #1292 on: September 01, 2021, 07:29:00 pm »
Two Ts will work, but really, what you probably want is either a 50 ohm resistor in series with each port, or a 2 way divider. That way, the impedances presented to the UUT will be 50 ohms (not 25 ohms).  The 25 ohms would calibrate out, but some UUTs (amplifiers) may not like the mismatch.
I'm experimenting with this right now.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1293 on: September 01, 2021, 11:57:10 pm »
Two Ts will work, but really, what you probably want is either a 50 ohm resistor in series with each port, or a 2 way divider. That way, the impedances presented to the UUT will be 50 ohms (not 25 ohms).  The 25 ohms would calibrate out, but some UUTs (amplifiers) may not like the mismatch.

In this case we know "works" was defined by: 
No reason it won't work - at least to the performance of the NanoVNA.

With nothing more than Ts to couple the two VNAs, even with the added stubs, poor termination, 25 ohms, running the VNAs asynch,  the system will perform to the same level as using one VNA properly. 

There was an paper I came across that was talking about common problems beginners have with VNAs.  One of the most common problems was the beginner feels they can calibrate out every error.    :-DD   I remember thinking the person that wrote that paper had some pretty good stories to tell.   

As far as
what you probably want
, I went over that some time ago and wasn't able to come up with anything worth documenting.   This is why an actual transfer relay was used.   Sprinkling in a few 50 ohm resistors isn't something I would consider. 

The DPDT may be acceptable at low frequencies with the added unterminated stubs.   Even with the cables bent to their tightest radius, that stub makes zero sense to me and  I see no reason to take the hit in performance.   It may be perfectly fine for the person who posted it.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1294 on: September 02, 2021, 01:39:02 pm »
If you like sprinkling resistors around, you could use two back to back splitters to improve the match.  Fairly low cost and would work over a fairly wide range.  With 6dB loss each and not addressing the asynchronous operation, I wouldn't think anyone would consider it a working solution.   :-DD

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1295 on: September 02, 2021, 02:04:02 pm »
has the nano vna been made to work at 2.4ghz yet,ie for wifi antenna tuning?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1296 on: September 03, 2021, 12:13:06 pm »
has the nano vna been made to work at 2.4ghz yet,ie for wifi antenna tuning?

If there is, it's nothing I would use.  The performance really suffers as you move above 300MHz.  The following section compares my original NanoVNA against a vintage PNA while looking at a GHz filter.  Results are very poor as we would expect.  I do like the OWOs V2P4 that is shown.   If you are looking for a low cost VNA to work above 300MHz, it's a good choice.   The video is a review for it. 

https://youtu.be/XaYBpPCo1qk?list=PLZSS2ajxhiQD2gftdurGQoyGpUM_HobNI&t=2733

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1297 on: September 03, 2021, 12:18:26 pm »

And how did that turn out?

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1298 on: September 03, 2021, 08:42:39 pm »
Hi, this not seems a CW

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1299 on: September 03, 2021, 08:46:01 pm »
Joe, thanks a lot again. Got it to work. Using your software recording breathing and heartbeat with RADAR using a NanoVNA V2+4. I transmitted CW 2.4 GHz using my makeshift Vivaldi antenna at port 1, receiving the reflected wave (doppler effect for movement of my chest wall) with a simple stub at port 2. Calculated phase of S21 with atan2(i,r). Range was about 1 m.
Pics:
Setup

Unfiltered moving in, three breath, holding breath, three breath, moving out.

filtered with a 3 Hz lowpass, showing the heartbeat. Same data.

This is a CW

There´s some firmware for plus with CW?
Can you please tell me wich?

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf